Are mice cannibals

mrpip

Saw a mouse in the garage Thursday evening, set a couple of traps baited with cheese, checked Friday morning one dead mouse. Left the traps set, checked Sat morning and evening no more, this morning the one in the picture, been well eaten into and the cheese had gone. On checking traps tonight another one in the same trap no damage apart from the contact with the little nipper. Think it had to be another mouse or is there something else in there 🙁🙁

IMG_20181202_094823.jpg

8 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Could be a Rat - Mice are one of their favourite foods.

Thought that myself, but found no signs, the dog pen is the only entry point then they would have to go through the dog crate on the inside of garage to get inside, though I don,t think that would stop them. The trap had not be moved from were it was set, no more this morning. Only food in there is the dog meal which is in a sealed metal bin. 

4 hours ago, Saltings said:

baking soda / flour /sugar in equal quantiles kills rats and mice fast     all other animals / poultry are safe  rats and mice cannot burp or **** leave the rest to your imagination 

I can Imagine leaving that lying about and then catching one in a trap or shooting it and it going pop 😂

12 hours ago, fandango said:

yep they will eat other,, if one is dead the others just eat it..... used to see a lot of it down the pit, though have had mice and rats in traps that have been nibbled by there brothers mothers sisters etc etc 

I worked in the pits for 22 years, there were loads of mice, but no rats down ours. From 16 to 18 years old we were working in teams doing back work, one of the favourite tricks was if anyone fell asleep at snap time was to put a bit of bread on there chest, turn our lamps off and wait for the mice to attack. (Laughing to myself as I,m typing this)  After the 2 week summer holiday when there had only been a few men underground they used to be starving and very active when waiting for the paddy (man riding train) saw one bloke spit out some chewing gum and a mouse grabbed it. They all disappeared during the miners strike, it took a few years before any number built back up,