America - nicer than Oz :)

Lloyd90

Last time I went away to Oz I spent most time on here 😂 ghastly place ... far too hot!

Well I’m in Washington this week :) much much nicer already - weather you can actually go outside in! Brilliant food! Just about to start off going to see the sights, as only arrived last night! 

I think I might go shoot some guns today :) 

I’ll try to avoid PW for the rest of the week 🤣 although is there anything you are allowed to bring back?? Am I allowed to bring back shotgun chokes? 

Bringing in shotgun chokes shouldn't be an issue, but I'd put them in the checked-in luggage to be sure of things.

Also, please Fire the guns, don't shoot them. Shooting guns does them no favours at all. My mate once shot my old O/U and it had 3 #6 shot in the stock and one in the fore-end to the day I got rid of it. They went well with the big scratch down the side of the barrels where I had fallen, stepped on it and slipped in my (tungsten carbide) studded Hunter wellies though:lol:

Edited by Longstrider

As in DC or Washington state?

If it's the former, it's a bit underwhelming in my opinion, other than the Smithsonian and the Lincoln memorial.  I used to go there all the time with work though so I've had DC overload.

If you've got a hire car and don't mind a bit of a trek you're close to a lot of civil war sites, and the Chesapeake Bay is within reach.  St Michael's, MD is lovely and there's an amazing seafood place there called The Crab Claw.

13 minutes ago, Zapp said:

As in DC or Washington state?

If it's the former, it's a bit underwhelming in my opinion, other than the Smithsonian and the Lincoln memorial.  I used to go there all the time with work though so I've had DC overload.

If you've got a hire car and don't mind a bit of a trek you're close to a lot of civil war sites, and the Chesapeake Bay is within reach.  St Michael's, MD is lovely and there's an amazing seafood place there called The Crab Claw.

DC - she’s got a conference for 2 days so I’m going off to FIRE guns lol 

We only arrived last night :) first time so plenty for us to see Wednesday -  Sat.

Here until Sunday but also taking a day to visit her family up in Philadelphia so I’m sure we can fill a few days. 

16 minutes ago, oowee said:

Nice break. 👍

I have reli's in Washington State Seattle area. Into their hunting shooting and fishing but never invited me 😞

Having hunted in the US, you haven't missed much except perhaps a near death experience or two. They don't wear high viz as a fashion accessory over there. We envy their freedom to hunt where they like but there are just too many idiots.

36 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

DC - she’s got a conference for 2 days so I’m going off to FIRE guns lol 

We only arrived last night  first time so plenty for us to see Wednesday -  Sat.

Here until Sunday but also taking a day to visit her family up in Philadelphia so I’m sure we can fill a few days. 

Gettysburg is a good place to see.

6 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Having hunted in the US, you haven't missed much except perhaps a near death experience or two. They don't wear high viz as a fashion accessory over there. We envy their freedom to hunt where they like but there are just too many idiots.

Gettysburg is a good place to see.

Yes I have heard they will shoot at any slight movement 😣 

I spent the afternoon at Maryland small arms range shooting a Sig Sauer P226 in 9mm. Wasn’t too bad and got 99% of my shots into the target (everyone on paper but some headshots I went for were just off). Shot at 15/20 and 25 yards :) 

Worrying that some people bringing their own guns could barely hit the target at 8 yards 😣

19 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Yes I have heard they will shoot at any slight movement 😣 

I spent the afternoon at Maryland small arms range shooting a Sig Sauer P226 in 9mm. Wasn’t too bad and got 99% of my shots into the target (everyone on paper but some headshots I went for were just off). Shot at 15/20 and 25 yards  

Worrying that some people bringing their own guns could barely hit the target at 8 yards 😣

Pistol shooting is all about trigger control.

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

Pistol shooting is all about trigger control.

I wouldn’t know what a good group is at each range but it was fun to have a go again :) 

lots of Police around today it’s like a Police state. Just stood 50 yards away from the Vice President arriving in his motor convoy. Secret service police everywhere. 

Apprently George Bush (senior) is coming through today so lots of roads being closed. 

31 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I wouldn’t know what a good group is at each range but it was fun to have a go again  

lots of Police around today it’s like a Police state. Just stood 50 yards away from the Vice President arriving in his motor convoy. Secret service police everywhere. 

Apprently George Bush (senior) is coming through today so lots of roads being closed. 

I thought he was laying in State!

8 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I thought he was laying in State!

They flew him into Andrews airforce base, I think today. I was next to it y’day as the gun range is 5 mins around the corner. 

Big ceremony on capital hill, I was outside the building just 2 hours ago :) nice walk in the morning. 

20 minutes ago, blackbird said:

It’s simply not worth buying goods when in the USA as the exchange rate is poor & you will find that most things are cheaper now in the UK that includes shooting stuff.

The things you most want to bring back you can't anyway, and bizarrely that's because of US law which is crazy. 

4 hours ago, Vince Green said:

The things you most want to bring back you can't anyway, and bizarrely that's because of US law which is crazy. 

Assuming I’m ok to bring back a choke tube? 

4 hours ago, blackbird said:

It’s simply not worth buying goods when in the USA as the exchange rate is poor & you will find that most things are cheaper now in the UK that includes shooting stuff.

Yes I saw some stuff today, checked online prices currently the savings aren’t as great as they used to be unfortunately. 

I did pickup a choke for my Remington shotgun though which I’m hoping is fine to bring back? More out of convenience than anything else. 

The hunting clothing in the USA is better than ours. Ive bought lots of my wildfowling hear from the States.More range and sizes etc so worth buying as postage customs and all the costs double the purchase costs if ordered from the UK.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.