HOW DO YOU FINISH A STICK, WITH VARNISH...!

four bore

4 hours ago, johnphilip said:

I use one of these and a hot airgun , done loads of sticks . Just take your time .

post-440-0-11893900-1384718782.jpg

I currently use these two blocks in the vice which you can over bend to allow for some springback, after heating with the hot air gun, but prefer the look of what you use.

OB

dec2018_019.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
On 4 December 2018 at 16:19, Stimo22 said:

Hi OB

yes here gos

Hawthorn,Chesnut/Cherry Top, Hazel/Antler, Blackthorn/Buffalo hprn, Hazel/antler, hazel/antler,blackthorn/antler, hazel/antler, blackthorn/banksia nut, hazel/antler.

New photo is twisted hazel, twisted blackthorn and hazel. I have nearly finished making the blackthorn one which is a quite rare find

image.jpeg

The above should have read ash, blackthorn and haz

Any update and pictures on that twisted blackthorn Stimo22.

Very interested to see how it turned out. 

OB

On 15/12/2018 at 11:06, ditchman said:

love this stuff about making equipment that dosnt excist...........:good:

Likewise .....  problem is I have enough on without someone finding me something else to do. Still have to fettle that piece of antler you sent me, think it is about fifth in line at the moment, then someone rings me and says he has some rabbits need thinning out so there goes another string of evenings. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, boo said:

Woodworm can sometimes actually be in shanks been cut , but may take awhile for them to show . I normally every year spray all shanks with woodworm killer from the local hardware shops when storing ...

I didn`t know that.

I had better go and spray my ones that are drying out in the shed. Must be about twenty in there, mostly hazel but a few blackthorn.

Thanks for that information. 

OB

Been planing slabs of cherry and what looks like back walnut, no sign of worm , took  about half inch off found a couple of pockets of worm , just goes to show , if the sticks had horn or antler tops couldn't you just reshank them , pain I know but doable

8 hours ago, boo said:

When I said could be in fresh shanks could be 2/3 years before you could see any holes , so keep an eye on stock , and I spray every year , keep the little burgers at bay...

So not in the shanks when green and cut, moving in when stored and drying?

Hence my suggestion to burn them.

Had one or two hazels with worm appearing but never on ash or blackthorn. Can see how it will get in there if the shanks are stored in a shed to dry. My problem is this old house I'm itting in is supported by a framework of 3 to 400yr old timbers so I am sure the little divils are living in here a well somewhere.  Easy enough to spray but do it outside as the lst time I used the stuff it almost did me as well.

22 minutes ago, JDog said:

I lost all but two of my treasured collection of sticks, mostly home made, to wood worm. Hazel and Blackthorn were infected, the Ash was not.

JDog, do you think that the worm got to them prior to them being cut (i.e. when still green !!), once they were cut and whilst drying, or after they had been finished ?

A genuine question, as I now am concerned for the ones I have already made and given away. Those still drying in my shed will shortly be sprayed.

Thanks for any advice that, as a horticulturist, you may be able to give.

OB

25 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

JDog, do you think that the worm got to them prior to them being cut (i.e. when still green !!), once they were cut and whilst drying, or after they had been finished ?

A genuine question, as I now am concerned for the ones I have already made and given away. Those still drying in my shed will shortly be sprayed.

Thanks for any advice that, as a horticulturist, you may be able to give.

OB

I saw no sign of woodworm for several years after the sticks were made, then one year they all had the tell tale holes in them. Quite when the woodworm infected them I cannot say but it is very unlikely that they were infected whilst still curing.

If I made more I would paste on wood preservative as soon as I cut them.

Only those who make their own sticks can appreciate the feeling of losing some in this way. Some I had for twenty years.

i too have lost a couple of sticks...they were hazel...........i think next time...it might be an idea to let them dry for a bit and then do as jdog says with the preservertive........i would be tempted to put them in a plastic overflow pipe....put end caps on it then empty a smal tin of preservertive in it and close the end and turn it every week for a month...then take it out and hang to dry ...........dont know if this would effect the bark tho

42 minutes ago, JDog said:

I saw no sign of woodworm for several years after the sticks were made, then one year they all had the tell tale holes in them. Quite when the woodworm infected them I cannot say but it is very unlikely that they were infected whilst still curing.

If I made more I would paste on wood preservative as soon as I cut them.

Only those who make their own sticks can appreciate the feeling of losing some in this way. Some I had for twenty years.

Thanks for that, wood preservative seems the way to go.

I can fully appreciate the sense of loss of a stick that one has taken quite a few hours to make, used and cherished for years, as they become a very personal item.

OB

12 minutes ago, ditchman said:

. close the end and turn it every week for a month..

This sounds like the way I make my sloe gin :hmm:

Very nice sticks.

May be if you store your sticks whilst seasoning in a drainage pipe with caps at either end it would prevent infestation,but no good if you've brought it home already infected.

Storing sticks in a garage/shed is asking for woodworm if its like mine.I sprayed all the timber in the roof and chucked away benches that were in there when we moved in, as were heavily infected.You can get a pump up spray bottle from QD for a couple of quid that will spray a jet or mist,just be careful not to breath the mist or get it on your skin/clothes as it will do for you as well as the worm,oh and do several coats once one soaked in do another.

have done a couple myself and have loads seasoning,coated mine with true oil.

14 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Had one or two hazels with worm appearing but never on ash or blackthorn. Can see how it will get in there if the shanks are stored in a shed to dry. My problem is this old house I'm itting in is supported by a framework of 3 to 400yr old timbers so I am sure the little divils are living in here a well somewhere.  Easy enough to spray but do it outside as the lst time I used the stuff it almost did me as well.

Yes but you have no woodworm now!