HOW DO YOU FINISH A STICK, WITH VARNISH...!

four bore

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, four bore said:

HI I AM SURE THIS HAS BEEN ASKED BEFORE, I HAVE JUST STRAIGHENED A NICE TWISTED HAZEL STICK, SHOULD I VARNISH IT OR SOMTHING ELSE TO PROTECT IT A BIT.  ADVICE APPRECIATED.

FOUR  BORE.

if varnish thin down with  50 /50 varnish and thinners  will soak into wood better to seal multiple coats over time will give you a harder long lasting finish rather than shiny sit on the top finish can apply oil after if mat finish is required  also  any cooking oil/ boiled linseed oil will also works and hardens  (raw linseed oil works as well but stays tacky longer ) applied regularly to water proof until it will not take any more and sits on top for days wipe away excess oil and polish 

Edited by Saltings

12 hours ago, Stimo22 said:

I use Danish oil on all of the ones I make, you can use the clear type or use a darker finish if needed. Some books say yes linseed oil but I have found the it stays sticky for a long time

image.jpeg

That's a fine collection of beautifully made sticks there Stimo22. I think that I can spot the blackthorn and hazel, but could you please advise going from left to right what wood they are, so that I can be sure.

Many thanks,

OB

use BOILED LINSEED OIL......................not raw linseed oil...........then it will dry quicker and not go tacky..........

i used to use just engine oil on mine as when beating you need to give the stick a bit of stick tapping and hitting stuff....my sticks all have battle scars..........

28 minutes ago, figgy said:

I also use engine oil, I put a little in a pot and let the stick end  sit for days. It takes oil up and water proofs stays malleable rather than hardening then stapling on a tree when tapping or beating. I use teak oil or Danish oil on the outside.

just the job............thats what we used to do with crickets bats over the winter...........:good:

Hi OB

yes here gos

Hawthorn,Chesnut/Cherry Top, Hazel/Antler, Blackthorn/Buffalo hprn, Hazel/antler, hazel/antler,blackthorn/antler, hazel/antler, blackthorn/banksia nut, hazel/antler.

New photo is twisted hazel, twisted blackthorn and hazel. I have nearly finished making the blackthorn one which is a quite rare find

image.jpeg

The above should have read ash, blackthorn and haz

14 hours ago, Stimo22 said:

Hi OB

yes here gos

Hawthorn,Chesnut/Cherry Top, Hazel/Antler, Blackthorn/Buffalo hprn, Hazel/antler, hazel/antler,blackthorn/antler, hazel/antler, blackthorn/banksia nut, hazel/antler.

New photo is twisted hazel, twisted blackthorn and hazel. I have nearly finished making the blackthorn one which is a quite rare find

image.jpeg

The above should have read ash, blackthorn and haz

Many thanks for that Stimo22. Some fantastic work there. Like to see the twisted blackthorn when finished, as you say a pretty rare and unusual find. All nicely displayed too.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Many thanks for that Stimo22. Some fantastic work there. Like to see the twisted blackthorn when finished, as you say a pretty rare and unusual find. All nicely displayed too.

OB

yup i like the blackthorn as well.......................they also last a long time..........

On 04/12/2018 at 10:41, ditchman said:

use BOILED LINSEED OIL......................not raw linseed oil...........then it will dry quicker and not go tacky..........

i used to use just engine oil on mine as when beating you need to give the stick a bit of stick tapping and hitting stuff....my sticks all have battle scars..........

Yep boiled linseed oil, but it does take a bit of buffing with a soft cloth to finally get it 'dried'.  I usually give them two or three coats and leave 'em to stand a week ir nore to soak in, then buff, then repeat. Finally give them a buff every time I feel like it and I find they eventually get the finish I like.

I used to beat on one shoot and always cut a rough length of ash or hazel because the keeper would inspect sticks at days end and if they were still in one piece you got the sack.  Tapping only was allowed no vocals.

Edited by Walker570

On 5 December 2018 at 10:11, ditchman said:

yup i like the blackthorn as well.......................they also last a long time..........

When cutting blackthorn, I used to always look for straight shafts and so was pretty selective with minimal choice available. However, now I realise how easy seasoned blackthorn is to straighten, by either steam, the preferred method, or as I use, a hot air gun, I now am not too worried if they are bent when cut. 

I've found with my limited experience of my recently found hobby of stick making, that my initial mistake was to not cut enough in the first instance, bearing in mind that they take about a year to season. Now, I cut one or two either hazel or blackthorn sticks every time I go out shooting. Being retired, this is once or twice a week. Hopefully next year, if I'm spared, I'll have enough seasoned sticks to keep me out in the shed and away from the wife for many hours :yahoo:

OB

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

that they are easy to steam straight...........ive left a lot of blackthorn ...cause they dont look perfect 

Well there you go. Try straightening them before they are properly dry and they`ll just revert back. Think of all those sticks that you`ve left !!

There could be another project for you to make a steamer :hmm:

Did you now that using all capitals is classed as shouting .do our only have capitals on your keyboard 

hope you get your sticks sorted .they will look great 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Swinton said:

Did you now that using all capitals is classed as shouting .do our only have capitals on your keyboard 

hope you get your sticks sorted .they will look great 

Maybe needs to shout? He could be "mutton".......from firing his 4 bore without ear protection? 😇