HOW DO YOU FINISH A STICK, WITH VARNISH...!

four bore

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, boo said:

Old boggy , have you tried stripping an ash twister , looks nice contrast with the twist....

Stimo22 is the one fortunate enough to find the twisted shanks. However, I have tried rubbing down hazel (the stick, not a young lady unfortunately :no:) to get to the underbark which is mainly darker and can provide a good finish. 

OB

10 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Stimo22 is the one fortunate enough to find the twisted shanks. However, I have tried rubbing down hazel (the stick, not a young lady unfortunately ) to get to the underbark which is mainly darker and can provide a good finish. 

OB

Hazel's underbark is darker...……..

Ditchy will jump on this surely🤣

As OB says I often get twisted hazel and ash, even blackthorn. Lucky enough to have access to woods with no public access. So get the best bits. I have never needed to remove the bark only on Holly which shrinks so much the bark creases up and looks rough. This also sometimes happens on blackthorn but only on some and I find that running down well with sandpaper till it is smooth and the coating with Danish oil will make them come up a dark red colour which looks quite nice