Proud owner

oowee

I am not a dog trainer but this weekend my two year old cocker was pretty awesome. This season he has started to flush and retrieve pheasant really well and take hand signals to the point where I would much rather take him than leave him at home. The level of excitement and alertness as soon as he gets to the field is incredible. 

This weekend I was on a little pheasant shoot and a bird was lost over a fence into thick cover. Another dog had been put into find it with no joy. I was asked to have a go and put the dog under the wire fence and with a couple of arm signals he was soon looking in the right area and came back with the bird (phew). Then a little later I was using him to search for another lost bird and walked about 75 m along a track to get to the other side of the fence from where the bird was lost. Soon he is circling the same area with head held high and will not return. People either side are looking but he will not leave the spot. I then glanced up and there was the bird hanging in a branch 10ft off the ground. 👍

my dogs used to do stuff like that...................i usually got all choked up...i think they "taught me" rather than me teach them.........common fault i used to see was new owners pulling their dog off a retreive too soon ...due to impatience......

23 minutes ago, ditchman said:

my dogs used to do stuff like that...................i usually got all choked up...i think they "taught me" rather than me teach them.........common fault i used to see was new owners pulling their dog off a retreive too soon ...due to impatience......

Totally agree let the dog do the work, he knows best

5 hours ago, Mabery 3 said:

Totally agree let the dog do the work, he knows best

we are not field trialing when picking up or walked up shooting  or wildfowling my old lab bonnie put many dead in the air birds in the bag after other dogs and handlers searched an area calling their dogs off scent to rework an area  I work my dogs into an area when they go to scent their body language will let you know   I leave them be  and let them go to work and have been told your dog has ran off and out of control etc (I can stop and recall at any time) by said field trial  trainers only to  come back with a strong runner  dogs in the hunting field job is to retrieve wounded game to be dispatched as quickly as possible if a bird is dead and you have a runner you must be able to work your dog retrieve the runner first to save suffering the best dogs in a shooting field  nobody knows their name  even if your dog embarrasses you   on the next retrieve they can redeem themselves     be patient good things come to those who wait 

Edited by Saltings

Thanks for the comments guys. Inspired I have been doing some work on the whistle now, rather than having to use voice commands.

It's interesting that he has changed so much in the last 6 months.It's like he suddenly knows what he is supposed to do.  I can only imagine what he could have been with a half decent trainer. 

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 16:39, oowee said:

Soon he is circling the same area with head held high and will not return. People either side are looking but he will not leave the spot. I then glanced up and there was the bird hanging in a branch 10ft off the ground. 👍

My old dog once brought back a headless cock pheasant that others hadn't been able to find, whilst everyone else was happily ripping the urine out of me saying he had simply killed another bird the keeper walked up and said the bird must have been hanging in a tree, silence 😃

Dogs along with your children have the power to make you feel proud and ashamed all within minutes.

sounds your going to be having fun oowee.