Aftermarket Chokes

red_stag88

Hi all

What are people’s experiences with aftermarket chokes?

I’m thinking usual suspects like pattermaster, Carlson etc. 

I cant afford a med and a long of the patternmasters but could go a set of the Carlson’s. Are they worth upgrading to over the stock chokes from my supernova? 

Thanks

I found it hard to get Carlson in the UK and just used briley which are more readily available, so much so if you wait they will come up in the for sale section on this forum if there isn’t some already on there

I like the fact you can tighten them by hand, if I’m out fowling etc where there is no choke key available

The Carlson Cremator chokes with the triple ring constrictions are very good in the Benelli M2.  If easier to buy and were cheaper I'd buy again.  You can buy Carlsons from Canada a place called big Al's corner store, there not cheap with postage and customs vat etc it doubles the purchase price.

I've used kicks highflyer modified in the past in a SX3 another good choice. Good with BB shot in invector backbored guns. Throws a tight 1/4 choke with duck carts. Tried the Full in a Beretta A300 Xtreme and was not impressed as too tight for ducks over splashes and oy ok with bigger goose loads.

I'm now using 1/2 & xtra full Briley chokes as they work and are cheaper to buy also easier to get hold of. Can't fault them so far. 

Plenty of other chokes around and sometimes your standard chokes can be as good.

Edited by figgy

My experience with aftermarket chokes is that they vary only with how fast they empty your wallet. I'm sure Carlson and Patternmaster are perfectly good chokes but no one makes better chokes than Teague and they're fairly local to Bristol. Bear in mind that most of the gimmicks such as porting or wad stripping have little or no practical value to what is, in the final analysis, nothing more than a tapered tube.

It's your money but I'd test the makers chokes before doing anything.