Jump to content
ladyjack

Hooks/hanger

    Recommended Posts

    Ask on the DIY thread, there are some seriously good craftsmen there who could probably make them to order

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Get a nice slab of timber with bark on as many edges as poss, ideally a inch thick. Make sure its longer + wider than the dimensions of your gun. Give it a good sand. Now the fun part. Go find some rusty old gate hangers, out of a old barn or wherever, grind off the thread to a point, sandblast them, then hammer them (chisel out a square hole roughly 1/2 to 3/4 of the thickness of the hanger) into the timber at set lengths of your gun to hang. Dab of gorilla glue on the end as well just to be sure. 

    Varnish the lot (including metal) 

    Sounds **** but the rustic look works and ive been making them for years, also as coat hangers.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    37 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

    Get a nice slab of timber with bark on as many edges as poss, ideally a inch thick. Make sure its longer + wider than the dimensions of your gun. Give it a good sand. Now the fun part. Go find some rusty old gate hangers, out of a old barn or wherever, grind off the thread to a point, sandblast them, then hammer them (chisel out a square hole roughly 1/2 to 3/4 of the thickness of the hanger) into the timber at set lengths of your gun to hang. Dab of gorilla glue on the end as well just to be sure. 

    Varnish the lot (including metal) 

    Sounds **** but the rustic look works and ive been making them for years, also as coat hangers.

    need a pic

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Have a look at the John Rothery lockable wall rifle gun hanger kit. Shaped for both ou & sxs 

    Edited by figgy

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 04/12/2018 at 19:19, billytheghillie said:

    need a pic

    20181130_143714.jpg.f902ff68bb6385e42872fe76765b5b6e.jpg

    Why didn't I think of making something out of reclaimed stuff I have just built this in my back garden 

    Edited by ladyjack
    Spelling

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 04/12/2018 at 19:19, billytheghillie said:

    need a pic

    All sold on the bay years ago. If I could source gate hinges/hangers in a rusty state I'd make more. Bloody expensive on the bay, and new ones whilst cheap look rubbish. 

    So if anybody has any spare in bucket rusting away I'll take them off your hands :good:

    4 minutes ago, ladyjack said:

    20181130_143714.jpg.f902ff68bb6385e42872fe76765b5b6e.jpg

    Sod the woodwork I wanna drink at your house 😅

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

    All sold on the bay years ago. If I could source gate hinges/hangers in a rusty state I'd make more. Bloody expensive on the bay, and new ones whilst cheap look rubbish. 

    So if anybody has any spare in bucket rusting away I'll take them off your hands :good:

    Sod the woodwork I wanna drink at your house 😅

    No problem strummer oh if you were closer I'll get the wood you pour the drinks lo

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    2 pieces of wood 4” x 1 3/4” x 3/4”

    2 pieces of dowel 3/4” x  2 5/8”

    2 small wooden drawer handles

    And you’ll need something to drill a 3/4” hole with.

    4B84416F-3CC0-41F2-B2F5-EF1D4A7A7C04.jpeg

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I had some (brass leather covered) from Powells years ago, but can't see them now.  I did find these;

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shotgun-Hangers-Archery-Storage-B-black/dp/B01N6CMGYL/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_200_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3GQG4TME9M3EVHZGYKNE

    https://www.historical-firearms.co.uk/acatalog/hook-wall-hanger.html

    More extensive searching may turn up others as these look pretty basic for a tenner!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 06/12/2018 at 10:59, Mighty Ruler said:

    2 pieces of wood 4” x 1 3/4” x 3/4”

    2 pieces of dowel 3/4” x  2 5/8”

    2 small wooden drawer handles

    And you’ll need something to drill a 3/4” hole with.

    4B84416F-3CC0-41F2-B2F5-EF1D4A7A7C04.jpeg

    Like the look of these going to try and make a few, thanks for pic mighty ruler

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    21 minutes ago, ladyjack said:

    Like the look of these going to try and make a few, thanks for pic mighty ruler

    The dowel is glued into the batten and I knocked a nail through the side for extra support. The knob had a nut set into the back side so I drilled a hole in the end of the dowel and screwed a pin into it with a spot of glue on the thread then cut the head of the pin off.

    Cheers

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Well I've got an idea,I am going to try,I am going to drill wall and leave the bit in,then drill dowel same size of bit,slide dowel over drill bit, hang gun on dowel,thenscrew drawer knb to dowel,(stain wood before fix to wall)if this works I'll post a pic,then we can all hail the mighty ruler for giving me the  idea,thanks Dave.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×