George Armstrong & Co Shotguns

Trevor Armstrong

I am seeking history of the shotgun maker George Armstrong & Co of Newcastle which ceased production in about 1915. My great grandfather George John Taylor Armstrong of Cradock South Africa passed down a double barreled George Armstrong & Co shotgun engraved 'George Armstrong & Co Cradock No. 715' , see attached photos. We believe my great grandfather, who died in 1914, had a branch in Port Elizabeth and Cradock and was involved with the Newcastle operations.  Any further information would be appreciated.  

20181204_092911.jpg

20181204_092839.jpg

Nigel Brown`s 3 volumes of British Gunmakers are probably the definitive work on the subject; however there is no reference to a George Armstrong in Newcastle. What is listed, that appears to fit the bill is `Armstrong & Co`, no initial to the company is listed.

This company is shown as being at 10 Neville Street , Newcastle on Tyne from circa (c) 1880 to c1890. Between 1890 and 1894 they moved to 5 Collingwood Street where they remained until sometime after 1897. In 1901 they are recorded as being at 115 & 117 Northumberland St.   From c1905 to c1917 they were at 115 Northumberland St only. No further details are recorded after 1917. There is a suggestion (?) of a connection to Sir W G Armstrong & Co who was a gun carriage maker at Elswick Works, Newcastle, however no direct family connection appears to have been established.

As is often the way with these old gunmakers, no list of serial numbers appears to exist.

Bit limited I am afraid, but the best that I can find on this maker.

Edited by JJsDad
Spelling

8 minutes ago, matone said:

Looks like either a Paradox gun or a double rifle to me .

Trevor, Could you post the writing stamped on the barrels?

Looks as though Matone has it. Is that the loading powder and bullet weights given on the right hand barrel?

Boothroyd just briefly mentions 115 Northumberland St.

On 04/12/2018 at 13:53, wymberley said:

Trevor, Could you post the writing stamped on the barrels?

Looks as though Matone has it. Is that the loading powder and bullet weights given on the right hand barrel?

Boothroyd just briefly mentions 115 Northumberland St.

Would be interesting to see what that is written below the makers gold inlay - can't quite make it out.