Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Danllan

Hello from Wales

    Recommended Posts

    Hello all, just signed up to the forum. I'm a livestock farmer in West Wales, a keen but occasional shooter and fisher and will be introducing my boys to shooting this winter.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Thanks all.  

    Are you from Zim? I'd friends and family out there and was there for a fair bit myself. If so, where from and when did you gap it? @Jongwe

    Edited by Danllan

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    6 minutes ago, Danllan said:

    Thanks all.  

    Are you from Zim? I'd friends and family out there and was there for a fair bit myself. If so, where from and when did you gap it? @Jongwe

    How'd you guess @Danllan?  I was in the capital and must have left gone 15 years or more now - it seems like a lifetime ago.  You?

    I'm guessing you understand some Shona?

    Edited by Jongwe

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Friends all over the place, family were in Harare, Umtali and Midlands. I spent time working west of Kadoma and Chegutu, beef maize and tobacco, nearly thirty years ago now... (bl**dy hell, it's pretty awful when you start thinking in decades like that). Most of my lot left after the invasions got violent, a couple of cousins more or less back now but their families stay down south. My Shona  - Zezuru - was pretty good, would need a fair bit of work to be so now, I was listening to three guys in London a few years ago and had to work very hard to keep up. I Lived in Tanzania for a few years in the 2000s and I think my Shona got corrupted by using Kiswaheli - being Bantu there are a lot of similarities, and if I think of anything African now it's usually in Swaheli.

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    7 minutes ago, Danllan said:

    Friends all over the place, family were in Harare, Umtali and Midlands. I spent time working west of Kadoma and Chegutu, beef maize and tobacco, nearly thirty years ago now... (bl**dy hell, it's pretty awful when you start thinking in decades like that). Most of my lot left after the invasions got violent, a couple of cousins more or less back now but their families stay down south. My Shona  - Zezuru - was pretty good, would need a fair bit of work to be so now, I was listening to three guys in London a few years ago and had to work very hard to keep up. I Lived in Tanzania for a few years in the 2000s and I think my Shona got corrupted by using Kiswaheli - being Bantu there are a lot of similarities, and if I think of anything African now it's usually in Swaheli.

     

    It is scary how long ago things are when you think about it...

    I used to live in the lowveld during my younger years and any of my lot that are still there are in Matabeleland.

    What little Shona I had has all but escaped me over the years 😞

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Ha! I just tried reading a Shona news website, I could get the gist but was really struggling with the detail. I didn't have any friends from the lowveld, but do remember a couple of rather nice blonde girls, sisters, from somewhere near Fort Vic, they used to play in polocrosse tournaments...

    Right, enough delaying, the rain will be passed soon and I've got to get out and check the sheep... it has been pis*ing down here! Cheers.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Danllan said:

    Ha! I just tried reading a Shona news website, I could get the gist but was really struggling with the detail. I didn't have any friends from the lowveld, but do remember a couple of rather nice blonde girls, sisters, from somewhere near Fort Vic, they used to play in polocrosse tournaments...

    Right, enough delaying, the rain will be passed soon and I've got to get out and check the sheep... it has been pis*ing down here! Cheers.

    lol.  Used to spend some time in Fort Vic, but was more in Chiredzi.

    Good luck with the sheep.

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Hi, and welcome to the Forum. I have just arrived back from somewhere not too far from you,  Llan  Lland  Llandro   Buith Wells  !  😉

    Edited by Westley

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Thanks. Builth - aka Llanfair ym Muallt 🙂 -  is a fair bit away, I'm near the Pembs border. Were you at the show?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    Sign in to follow this  

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×