Hello from Wales

Danllan

6 minutes ago, Danllan said:

Thanks all.  

Are you from Zim? I'd friends and family out there and was there for a fair bit myself. If so, where from and when did you gap it? @Jongwe

How'd you guess @Danllan?  I was in the capital and must have left gone 15 years or more now - it seems like a lifetime ago.  You?

I'm guessing you understand some Shona?

Edited by Jongwe

Friends all over the place, family were in Harare, Umtali and Midlands. I spent time working west of Kadoma and Chegutu, beef maize and tobacco, nearly thirty years ago now... (bl**dy hell, it's pretty awful when you start thinking in decades like that). Most of my lot left after the invasions got violent, a couple of cousins more or less back now but their families stay down south. My Shona  - Zezuru - was pretty good, would need a fair bit of work to be so now, I was listening to three guys in London a few years ago and had to work very hard to keep up. I Lived in Tanzania for a few years in the 2000s and I think my Shona got corrupted by using Kiswaheli - being Bantu there are a lot of similarities, and if I think of anything African now it's usually in Swaheli.

7 minutes ago, Danllan said:

Friends all over the place, family were in Harare, Umtali and Midlands. I spent time working west of Kadoma and Chegutu, beef maize and tobacco, nearly thirty years ago now... (bl**dy hell, it's pretty awful when you start thinking in decades like that). Most of my lot left after the invasions got violent, a couple of cousins more or less back now but their families stay down south. My Shona  - Zezuru - was pretty good, would need a fair bit of work to be so now, I was listening to three guys in London a few years ago and had to work very hard to keep up. I Lived in Tanzania for a few years in the 2000s and I think my Shona got corrupted by using Kiswaheli - being Bantu there are a lot of similarities, and if I think of anything African now it's usually in Swaheli.

It is scary how long ago things are when you think about it...

I used to live in the lowveld during my younger years and any of my lot that are still there are in Matabeleland.

What little Shona I had has all but escaped me over the years 😞

Ha! I just tried reading a Shona news website, I could get the gist but was really struggling with the detail. I didn't have any friends from the lowveld, but do remember a couple of rather nice blonde girls, sisters, from somewhere near Fort Vic, they used to play in polocrosse tournaments...

Right, enough delaying, the rain will be passed soon and I've got to get out and check the sheep... it has been pis*ing down here! Cheers.

1 hour ago, Danllan said:

Ha! I just tried reading a Shona news website, I could get the gist but was really struggling with the detail. I didn't have any friends from the lowveld, but do remember a couple of rather nice blonde girls, sisters, from somewhere near Fort Vic, they used to play in polocrosse tournaments...

Right, enough delaying, the rain will be passed soon and I've got to get out and check the sheep... it has been pis*ing down here! Cheers.

lol.  Used to spend some time in Fort Vic, but was more in Chiredzi.

Good luck with the sheep.

• 2 months later...