PAYPAL REQUESTING PHOTO ID

Rookandrabbit

Hello just been sent an e mail from PayPal asking me to update my account .....okay had this type of thing before.... being cautious I opened PayPal in another window searching for it via a search engine so as not to be scammed . Logged into the site only to see my account has been suspended and they are requesting photo Identification and further proof of address. SPOOKY. I was gobsmacked yes proof of address but my ugly mugshot ? Is this for some type of photo recognition system?Has this happened to any other forum members? And yes it was the correct PayPal site not a scam!

Sounds like you have taken the right steps.

Not had it happen to myself, but have heard of it happening.  Quite possibly the reason for asking for photo ID specifically is to get a recognised confirmation of your ID ie govt issued.  Otherwise people would be sending in their gas bill, which I doubt they would accept.

I have had to do it for unlocking a Blizzard account once.  Also for the IRS to get issued a TIN.

Yes I could understand this If I was an American citizen as their banking laws are different to here in the uk/ eu but it seems all a bit too big brother to seize a persons bank account freeze it and demand a photo I.D without any recourse to complain...... and no I have never defaulted and would and have confirmed my address but when institutions are being hacked all of the time they will not explain as to how they will protect my data should I send it to them....... Wanting to know if this has happened to anybody else on here?? Or am I just a special case? 

Never asked me for photo Id .iwould not reply and see what happens 

I get emails from pay pal now and again asking to update my account ie follow  the link .

never done it and never had account suspended .l think it is a scam .send it back to pay pal .

spoof@paypla.co.uk and see what happens