Problems with Neighbours (again)

Doc Holliday

Can anyone give me any advice on how we can deal with our neighbours. In our part of the road there are 5 houses (3 terraced and 2 semi's). The main instigator is the old girl (in her 70's) who lives in the terraced closest to us. I'm not entirely sure what her problem is as she doesn't talk to us. In the past, she went through phases of talking and then not talking to the point where I just couldn't be bothered. She now seems to have the ear of everyone else, or has had for some time, and everyone blanks us, which is fine as we keep ourselves to ourselves, but just for the record we did try to be neighbourly with folk, trying to help out where possible and saying hello and the likes.

I know she's spreading gossip but I just can't find out the finer details as now other 'neighbours' (ones from over the back) also blank us. What has prompted this post now was something that happened yesterday. Mrs H had a visit from the RSPCA. Someone had reported us for trying to poison cats in the road. The fact of the matter is that we put out some raw Huss for the foxes. There are three of them that live over the way and they regularly do the rounds. We bought the Huss from a shop down on the South Coast and it wasn't very nice and so, over the past few weeks, had put it out on a strip of grass opposite from the house as we retired for the night so there was no chance of someone's dog picking it up (we are generally the last to bed up our way) but Sunday morning I got up and saw it hadn't been taken. Between me getting up, emptying my bladder and going out to clear it up (about 0730) it had gone and thought maybe the fox had finally been, as we see them sometimes.

I'm not overly bothered by the gossip and backstabbing as we don't have anything to do with them and think it all childish but Mrs H is getting miffed by it all. I said I would look in to it and so turn to you guys.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, oowee said:

Is this for real? If you put carp out anywhere near my house you would have it back in your garden within the hour. Why are you dumping carp out for vermin? 

I may on occasion bait vermin but then pretty quickly they get shot. 

not all shooters have the same opinions,i also feed foxes opposite my house,i like to see them:good:

I think you will find your fish has been sent away to the RSPCA to be tested for any poisons.

With any luck the foxes will be short of a meal or two now and will nail the cats.

If your going to put out bait do it in your own garden, or face the consequences of your neighbours. ( which you are doing)

Yes I bet she/they know that you shoot and the nosey/nasty old woman thought you were putting out fish to poison the cats (naturally !!)....rather than thinking you were doing something different.

I moved into a close with 4 houses a few years ago and there was a similar busy body woman who tried to cause trouble, she reported me to the RSPCA as our two dogs were 'outside' alot. The RSPCA have to follow up on all reports and came round and saw the dogs commented on their great condition, I showed them their insulated kennel etc.  They said they would feedback to the 'reporter' that they had wasted their time. The RSPCA could not confirm who reported me but we are pretty sure it was this interfering woman. Fortunately she moved out after a couple of years.

Finger crossed it all calms down for you and the Mrs.

I live on the south coast and yes Huss can sometimes be quite strong tasting.... :)

Edited by prem1234

55 minutes ago, oowee said:

Is this for real? If you put carp out anywhere near my house you would have it back in your garden within the hour. Why are you dumping carp out for vermin? 

I may on occasion bait vermin but then pretty quickly they get shot. 

Not  that i am opposed to foxes but if you did this where i live you'd have woke up to it through the letterbox, if you want to feed them do it in your own garden.

4 hours ago, Dibble said:

Around here, with no predators except BMWs, urban fox numbers rise until the food supply runs out with say 10% starving at any point.

If you feed them total numbers will rise but 10% will still be starving so you have more starving foxes not less!

Actually the biggest natural enemy is probably mange round this part of the country. 

Edited by Vince Green

Bloody do gooders feeding foxes is a pain in the ****!! 

Once the bloke opposite dumped a load of KFC ontonthe communal grass in front of all the houses. I often let my dog out front before bed just to run around and he almost choked on a huge piece that I had to pull out from the back of his throat! Often thrown food there as well still partly in the packet. 

Another person also feeds the foxes in the park and several people have said their dogs often find it whilst free running and it really upsets their stomach! 

Whilst you might think it’s nice to see them, they’re a bloody nuisance and the people feeding them are a bloody nuisance too!!