Earith Wash

stuart21

3 hours ago, Konnie said:

Are you sure they were on the washes that are club owned as RSPB wash is next to it as you access it, it is divided by a dyke.

They should be off club ground I think start October. Please let me know if you are sure they are on club grounds 

They can go freely between all the rspb and club washes down there though can't they. I thought grazings rights were done on 1st november but i've known them on there into december before

5 hours ago, stuart21 said:

Afternoon all!

I've recently joined Holbeach and have been up to Earith over the last month. I took the dog for the first time and the bl00dy cows are still out.
Any ideas on when they be taken in?

Thanks!

Stuart

Normally if they are paying for grazing rights it is from the first of April till the first of November , this year due to the very dry and hot summer some farmers had to start on there winter feed to feed the cattle in the Summer due to the grass not growing  , this situation is normally unheard of , some of our cattle were taken off on the 1st November to let a digger on to pull the dykes out but the majority were kept on for a extra two to three weeks and now we are down to just one marsh with cattle still trying to graze , now its turning wet and a bit cooler I would think they will start getting them off over the next couple of weeks .

Can't beat them ankle breakers when cattle have been left on when it's very wet then it freezes. 

Seen members along with myself going head over heels in the dark.

Marsh man do you know if the salt marsh gives the meat any flavour like it does with lamb?

10 hours ago, figgy said:

Can't beat them ankle breakers when cattle have been left on when it's very wet then it freezes. 

Marsh man do you know if the salt marsh gives the meat any flavour like it does with lamb?

Hi figgy...... Our marshes would be termed as fresh rather than salt as they haven't been flooded by salt water since 1953 , when they do flood now it is through excessive rain fall or if the pumping station break down .

We do have cattle on the river wall and these are quite happy wallowing about in the reed beds , a few years ago one went to near the edge of the river and was reported by one of the holiday makers after seeing it swimming down the river without a care in the world , this ended up a job for the fire brigade who successfully hauled it out non the worse for it's soaking.

As for flavour , the farmers pay very good money when the grazing rights are auctioned off each year at the village pub , which is a good day out in itself with the cattle farmers putting the world right after a few pints of beer , every marsh for let get rented out and a couple of farmers I know are very happy with the cattle when they come off at the end of the Summer after been grazing on the grass  .

11 hours ago, figgy said:

My local butcher grazes his cattle on the ouse washes for 6 months of the year, not strictly salt water but when the cattle come home, they go back onto grass. It's by far the tastiest beef I've ever had. The closest I've found to the taste is some from a farm in the lake distric that keeps native breeds out on the hill all year, very tasty! 

On 04/12/2018 at 18:16, Konnie said:

Are you sure they were on the washes that are club owned as RSPB wash is next to it as you access it, it is divided by a dyke.

They should be off club ground I think start October. Please let me know if you are sure they are on club grounds 

Last week, they were not on the fields that we shoot, but they were all the way down the track.

2 hours ago, figgy said:

Made wonder as all beef cattle on our marsh which is also may fresh water but turns brackish at times.  They certainly look healthy on it

One farmer who I believe still grazes his cattle on Fenland salt marsh, would say his beef has a fantastic flavour.