Nigel Farage

Dave-G

4 hours ago, oowee said:

I personally do not think it right, that after being elected by UK voters to do a job in the EU he does not turn up and do it. To then take the hefty salary and expenses could be seen in other scenarios as corrupt. To then take the pension is .............................................. I do not have the words.

Im not sure that is an accurate statement, you could level that accusation at 90 % of the house of lords could you not ?

Farage is by far not the worst MEP for attendance and productivity either.

http://www.mepranking.eu/state.php?st=GB#meps

Someone kept voting for him .

4 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

you could level that accusation at 90 % of the house of lords

The Lords have to claim attendance allowance (which is tax free) on a 'per day attended basis' and have no salary as such - neither do the have a pension I think because they only get the attendance allowance, but I cannot confirm that.. A few who hold government positions (e.g. Ministers) get a salary for the post.

"Members of the House of Lords are not salaried. They can opt to receive a £305 per day attendance allowance, plus travel expenses and subsidised restaurant facilities. Peers may also choose to receive a reduced attendance allowance of £150 per day instead."

They can also claim some expenses and have heavily subsidised facilities, but generally less than MPs.  The system is widely abused by some who 'clock in' for just a few minutes to claim the whole allowance.  It is possible to clock in, claim the attendance - then spend the day on your allotment instead!

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The Lords have to claim attendance allowance (which is tax free) on a 'per day attended basis' and have no salary as such - neither do the have a pension I think because they only get the attendance allowance, but I cannot confirm that.. A few who hold government positions (e.g. Ministers) get a salary for the post.

Im aware of that, but £300 a day is hardly a pittance, plus they can literally turn up, clock in , then with expenses paid taxi running outside, clock out, thank you very much Mr Taxpayer.
You know it happens, and in my book , that is known as extracting the urine .

3 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Im aware of that, but £300 a day is hardly a pittance, plus they can literally turn up, clock in , then with expenses paid taxi running outside, clock out, thank you very much Mr Taxpayer.

Yep and like Farage it should investigated and if necessary clawed back and if fraudulent proceedings brought. I do not hold with anyone on the public payroll stealing from the tax payer. I know lots in the private sector, particularly the self employed do, but the public service should set the standard.

Edited by oowee

4 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Unless he soon does something positive in UK politics, he will remain a "yesterday man"

oh i only thought that was Chris Andrews ?????

4 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

hello, they have been doing that in the House of Lords for years

Just now, oowee said:

Yep and like Farage it should investigated and if necessary clawed back and if fraudulent proceedings brought. I do not hold with anyone on the public payroll stealing from the tax payer. I know lots in the private sector, particularly the self employed do, but the public service should set the standard.

But they are doing nothing illegal, they are simply abusing the position.
Like MPs who continue to employ drug dealer sons, and make sure they get council seats, whilst getting Corby to make your mother one of those life peers with that nice daily allowance ?
You know Westminster better than most Oowee, dont try and tell me the place isnt full of rank corruption,

12 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

But they are doing nothing illegal, they are simply abusing the position.
Like MPs who continue to employ drug dealer sons, and make sure they get council seats, whilst getting Corby to make your mother one of those life peers with that nice daily allowance ?
You know Westminster better than most Oowee, dont try and tell me the place isnt full of rank corruption,

I will admit there may be a few tainted at the edges but it's not rife as among'st the self employed. They have some one checking the claims in Westminster.

21 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

You know it happens

Indeed - see the last two sentences of my post;

30 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The system is widely abused by some who 'clock in' for just a few minutes to claim the whole allowance.  It is possible to clock in, claim the attendance - then spend the day on your allotment instead!

I will admit there may be a few tainted at the edges but it's not rife as among'st the self employed. They have some one checking the claims in Westminster.

My daughter in law has her own businesses and I have many friends who are self employed. Not a one would be happy to be compared to MPs and their expenses. They pay the tax that is due and do not take liberties.

HMRC check their accounts, unlike MPs who claim for duck ponds and wreaths to attend Remembrance Day ceremonies.

27 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

My daughter in law has her own businesses and I have many friends who are self employed. Not a one would be happy to be compared to MPs and their expenses. They pay the tax that is due and do not take liberties.

HMRC check their accounts, unlike MPs who claim for duck ponds and wreaths to attend Remembrance Day ceremonies.

Certainly pay the tax that is due. 

6 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Happy with to disagree; I think he was right to resign.  He made a fool of himself with the 'doom' campaign.  It would never have worked to have someone who had vocally lead the 'remain' charge and had just done a (poor) negotiation with the EU to try and take the lead on leave negotiations - which he had campaigned strongly against.  His position would have been untenable (even more than May's). 

And yet here we are with a remainer leading negotiations to leave! 

6 hours ago, redial said:

I think Nigel has done a good job  but as said he was a one man band.

He was fantastic on programmes like Question Time.

As for a pension, good luck to him and enjoy.

This. Not bad results for a one man band with one item in his manifesto. I too wish him a happy and long retirement. 👍

1 hour ago, oowee said:

I’m self employed and claim for everything I’m allowed to.....down to the penny. My accountant is happy and so am I. 👍

1 minute ago, hambone said:

But oowee isn't 😂😂😂

:lol:You can claim what you like of course but then its a bit kettle and pot when referring to MP's claiming their expenses. Although in the example I am more referring to fraudulent claims. Either way those in public life should set the highest example. 

6 minutes ago, oowee said:

:lol:You can claim what you like of course but then its a bit kettle and pot when referring to MP's claiming their expenses. Although in the example I am more referring to fraudulent claims. Either way those in public life should set the highest example. 

Thanks. 😀 But I don’t understand the pot and kettle remark as I haven’t made any comment about MP’s claiming their expenses. 

23 minutes ago, Scully said:

Thanks. 😀 But I don’t understand the pot and kettle remark as I haven’t made any comment about MP’s claiming their expenses. 

Not suggesting you were.

Earlier the discussion was that if fiddling is rife amongst MP's then it is also rife in the private sector. Both are entitled to claim whatever they are allowed. So following on for one to say the other is fiddling ....etc kettle and pot comment. Hope that makes sense.

29 minutes ago, oowee said:

Earlier the discussion was that if fiddling is rife amongst MP's then it is also rife in the private sector.

Actually you said this.

8 hours ago, oowee said:

'I personally do not think it right, that after being elected by UK voters to do a job in the EU he does not turn up and do it. To then take the hefty salary and expenses could be seen in other scenarios as corrupt. To then take the pension is .............................................. I do not have the words.'

You also mentioned something about him robbing old grannies I believe 😂

So Farage is corrupt for doing the job he was paid to do, the job we elected him to do, which was get us out the EU .
His low attendance was according to him, so the daily attendance allowance  scam (200 odd euro if I remember correctly) couldnt be levelled at him.
The fact that he was so successful at the job he was voted in for, sticks in the throat of certain people.

Or did you think the people who voted for him thought he was there to make the EU prosper ?
I wonder what UKIP stands for ..:hmm:

In keeping a sense of proportion I would have thought that the greatest ire should be levelled at the Sinn Fein MPs who have simply never turned up. But then they are doing the job that their voters want of them. Just as Nigel Farage has done the job that his voters want of him. He was probably more effective in getting us out of the EU by campaining in the UK than discussing cabbage regulations in Brussels. Unfortunately he's still probably more effective in guaranteeing what his voters want of him by continuing along the same vein.