Ear protection for fowling

Denboy

Hi, I had the pleasure of being invited to go wildfowling a couple of weeks ago. We were shooting on the marsh under the moon light. I had ear plugs in and could not hear the wing beats or direction the ducks were coming from. What hearing protection do people wear whilst wildfowling? 

Thanks im advance 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont use protection atall I am afraid. Hearing when out fowling is almost as important as seeing the birds, often more so.

After far to much exposure to gunfire of various types over 55 years my hearing is now suffering as a result, but I cant stand plugs or headphones.

30 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

None!.......a couple of shots if you lucky, on the marsh, ain't gonna do much harm....in comparison to the number of shots a driven day or a days clay bustin will provide!

Any exposure to excessive noise damages the hearing to a degree. It's irresponsible to say it isn't going to.do much harm.

3 hours ago, Denboy said:

Hi, I had the pleasure of being invited to go wildfowling a couple of weeks ago. We were shooting on the marsh under the moon light. I had ear plugs in and could not hear the wing beats or direction the ducks were coming from. What hearing protection do people wear whilst wildfowling? 

Thanks im advance 

Electronic ear defenders, can't remember what my current ones are but they're very effective.  

I wouldn't shoot without them now, I definetly haven't noticed a drop in bag numbers due to not hearing the birds

11 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

Why is it that anyone who disagrees with you, is wrong, out ofcontext or has a problem? 

What part of my posting did you disagree with? The fact that a couple of shots on a marsh wouldn't do as much damage to ones hearing when compared with the multiple shots on a driven shoot or a clay bustin day would!

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

None!.......a couple of shots if you lucky, on the marsh, ain't gonna do much harm....in comparison to the number of shots a driven day or a days clay bustin will provide!

My hearing isn’t the best after 8 years in the army, so I want to protect what I have

27 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

When a single shot can cause irreversible damage, I see where Big Mat is coming from.

One shot could cause hearing damage....but 200 shots would have 200 more chances of causing hearing damage!.....that is what I was saying.......this is fact, not irresponsibility!

5 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

One shot could cause hearing damage....but 200 shots would have 200 more chances of causing hearing damage!.....that is what I was saying.......this is fact, not irresponsibility!

OK ... but you could run across a firing range with 1 person shooting, or 200 ...

Personally I wouldn't do either.

4 minutes ago, Denboy said:

My hearing isn’t the best after 8 years in the army, so I want to protect what I have

Did the MOD not provide hearing protection? If they didn't, I would think you have a claim under health and safety legislation as they could be guilty of failure in their duty of care to you?

1 minute ago, Smokersmith said:

OK ... but you could run across a firing range with 1 person shooting, or 200 ...

Personally I wouldn't do either.

But you too are presuming I am advocating not wearing hearing protection....I am not!.......I was merely stating fact and my personal opinion on the question asked by the OP!

19 minutes ago, Denboy said:

12 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Did the MOD not provide hearing protection? If they didn't, I would think you have a claim under health and safety legislation as they could be guilty of failure in their duty of care to you?

4 minutes ago, Denboy said:

Now that is a different topic 

Of course they did, you can't make people wear it though!