Lynx reintroduction rejected

henry d

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

One of the programmes i watched showed the habitat changes after wolves were reintroduced and it was amazing, from flora regrowing because deer and elk couldn't graze at leisure to smaller mammals recovering because the wolves killed lots of coyotes 

Wolves also tend not to tolerate foxes in their range and one of the possible benefits of reintroduction of wolves would be the potential reduction of fox territories and are less interested in ground nesting birds/eggs than foxes are.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

You'd be surprised. No, really, you would. Lynx are a curious species and show clear prey specificity - even when their particular prey choice is low in density they still actively seek it out. It also seems to go with geography. For example, Scandi lynx still go for Roe deer even if numbers are low, and the small Swiss population prefer chamois. But as I've said, farmer-lynx conflict should be looked at in far more detail than LynxUK ever seemed prepared to do. Their argument seemed to always boil down to 'oh we don't think that'll happen' and 'well, we can perhaps talk about reimbursing, if it came to it' which was sort of missing the point. 

My point is that there is no credible public safety concern, which is why I put the child pretending to be a deer so crassly. But on the subject of children wandering off. You think children haven't wandered off in Sweden, Finland, Norway, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, France, Slovenia, Turkey, Belarus, Georgia, Russia etc...? yet not a single report of one being attacked by a lynx. 

As I've said before there are legitimate concerns over releasing lynx. but safety isn't one of them. There's not a shred of evidence - scientific or anecdotal - that shows lynx pose a genuine threat to human (child or adult) safety.  And I'd rather something was stopped for the right reasons, not misguided ones. 

I've done a bit of work with captive leopards. I'd still take them over tigers, any day of the week! I find a leopard's body language a little easier to assess, but tigers seem to have far fewer visual indicators as to what's going on in their heads, 

Talking of Leopards and Tigers, I was informed that in the wild, with Tigger there was usually plenty of warning but with Leopard if you were lucky you got one warning cough?

2 minutes ago, old man said:

Talking of Leopards and Tigers, I was informed that in the wild, with Tigger there was usually plenty of warning but with Leopard if you were lucky you got one warning cough?

With Tigger, you usually get 'Boing, Boing' noises.

Yeah wild leopards are a law unto themselves. My favourite story comes from the early twenties of two off hunters camping in the bush. They're sitting at night round the fire and one's got his back to the other. he turns round to find his mate nowhere to be seen. Next morning he found his body up a tree. A leopard had taken him and his mate never heard a thing! No idea whether it's true, but it's a great tale anyway!

2 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

With Tigger, you usually get 'Boing, Boing' noises.

Yeah wild leopards are a law unto themselves. My favourite story comes from the early twenties of two off hunters camping in the bush. They're sitting at night round the fire and one's got his back to the other. he turns round to find his mate nowhere to be seen. Next morning he found his body up a tree. A leopard had taken him and his mate never heard a thing! No idea whether it's true, but it's a great tale anyway!

Read Jim Corbett books on his adventures concerning leopards and tigers. Scary stuff. 

11 hours ago, panoma1 said:

I read 'the man eating leopard of Rudraprayag' years ago....a good read!

I downloaded them all free of a US library site for my kindle. That man had balls of steel 

Found the site. - Archive.org. Has all of them on there and I downloaded into a kindle format. You don't have to read them online. Well worth a read 

Edited by strimmer_13
Site

10 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Read Jim Corbett books on his adventures concerning leopards and tigers. Scary stuff. 

Yep and that boy knew what he was about?

Interestingly, as a digression. Just try to find any famous book of the same ilk in a public library? All gone, as it was explained to me, not culturally acceptable in this modern age? ***. Sanitisation of history authorised by local councils?

Meat coming in little boxes caps it off?

Edited by old man

• 2 weeks later...