Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AULD YIN

bikes

    Recommended Posts

    these are some of my old bikes,only got the indian bullet left , thought it might be of interest to some members

    DCP_1659.jpg

    DCP_1221.jpg

    dragstar.jpg

    bullet.jpg

    Edited by AULD YIN

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Was more a BSA man but could never get a B33 or any of the side valves again,loved them.

    Looks a tidy triumph tho

    Edited by AULD YIN

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Are the Royal Enfield's still  made in India? . I know a couple of lads who often hire them when  in Goa  . With more and more of the  new bikes loaded to the hilt with electronics it must be nice to have a bike like the Enfield that even I could do some of the repairs if needed 😂

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Some nice bikes on view. I was offered a Silver Jubilee Edition Bonneville for peanuts in the 1980s. I turned it down and regretted it ever since.

    I did own an Enfield Bullet motocross bike many years ago - tuned motor and a pig to start, but I wish I still had it.

    AULD YIN - very tidy bikes.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, rayo said:

    Are the Royal Enfield's still  made in India? . I know a couple of lads who often hire them when  in Goa  . With more and more of the  new bikes loaded to the hilt with electronics it must be nice to have a bike like the Enfield that even I could do some of the repairs if needed 😂

     

    Still make them in india but not that model due to emissions ?? ,as far as i remember non carb and electric start now,had 4 of them at  same  time ,2 350cc 2 500cc ,kept this one as it smashed the wifes ankle in three places when she tried to kickstart it.they had a simular idea to the valve lifter but was a hole through the head, got 1 bike for £40 as the guy could never get it started ,took me all of 30 minutes to fix the cable that actuated the lifter and start the bike,did offer him the bike back at the same price but his wife said no thanks.Gearbox was also an innovation   in that it had a extra lever that put it it neutral  regardless of the gear it was in 

    Edited by AULD YIN
    add info

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, AULD YIN said:

    ........Gearbox was also an innovation   in that it had a extra lever that put it it neutral  regardless of the gear it was in 

    The neutral finder only worked on gears 2 to 4. - essential with that horrible Albion gearbox, which otherwise was guaranteed to find neutral with every gear change instead of the correct gear unless it was very precisely adjusted.

    Hence the change to the AMC box with my bike

    Edited by amateur

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    23 minutes ago, amateur said:

    The neutral finder only worked on gears 2 to 4. - essential with that horrible Albion gearbox, which otherwise was guaranteed to find neutral with every gear change instead of the correct unless it was very precisely adjusted.

    Hence the change to the AMC box with my bike

    Once  you got used to the gears it rarely went in to a false neural ,,only had a big prob with one of the gearbox ,gears and clutch worked fine when cold/warm but clutch went when it was hot,replaced all the clutch plates rod and adjuster to no avail even lost a tooth on third trying to drop a gear eventualy found it was the gearbox cover flexing when hot hence pushrod was not getting the throw to release the plates ,put it down to ****y indian porous ally but had a spare box minus a few bits and thankfully 3rd gear and cover was fine.

     

    Edited by AULD YIN

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, AULD YIN said:

    Once  you got used to the gears it rarely went in to a false neutral ,

    You are probably right with the 350 Bullet, but the same gearbox was used on the rather more powerful Constellation 700 and the SII Interceptor 750 that I had, and the gearbox was dire.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    38 minutes ago, amateur said:

    You are probably right with the 350 Bullet, but the same gearbox was used on the rather more powerful Constellation 700 and the SII Interceptor 750 that I had, and the gearbox was dire.

     heard they were launching the new  750 this year (i think) 

    Cousin owned a s11 and he said engine was a lot smoother than the bonnie but as you say the gearbox was a LOS

    ( Brother had a bonnie and we spent more time picking up bits that had vibrated loose)

    edit to say LOS -lump of sh~~~

    Edited by AULD YIN

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    13 hours ago, AULD YIN said:

     ……... Brother had a bonnie and we spent more time picking up bits that had vibrated loose...……...

    Weren't Bonnies the reason why Loctite and Nylocs were invented.

    …. and some scurrilous persons would suggest that Royal Enfields  prompted the creation of Hermetite

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    wet sumping was a pain in the bullets and silicon was my friend for oil leaks,re the bonnie vibration ,,was not worried about white finger on the bike  more white willy

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, AULD YIN said:

    wet sumping was a pain in the bullets and silicon was my friend for oil leaks,re the bonnie vibration ,,was not worried about white finger on the bike  more white willy

    Reputedly, female pillions on Bonnevilles achieved more orgasms as passengers than ever they did in bed.

    I never had the pleasure of owning a Bonneville, so cannot comment.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, amateur said:

    Reputedly, female pillions on Bonnevilles achieved more orgasms as passengers than ever they did in bed.

    I never had the pleasure of owning a Bonneville, so cannot comment.

    yep ,much better than a horse i was told ,never happened to any birds on the back of me 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 14:50, amateur said:

    Weren't Bonnies the reason why Loctite and Nylocs were invented.

    …. and some scurrilous persons would suggest that Royal Enfields  prompted the creation of Hermetite

    "Royal Oilfield" as they were known round here !

    That TRW25 Triumph further up the page is a new one to me. I thought the TRW was the side valve twin cylinder model sometimes seen as a WW2 WD bike the RAF used for knocking about on.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Velocette said:

    That TRW25 Triumph further up the page is a new one to me. I thought the TRW was the side valve twin cylinder model sometimes seen as a WW2 WD bike the RAF used for knocking about on.

    The TRW500 twin cylinder side-valve (1950-1964) was the post-war military model used by all 3 services.

    The TR25W single cylinder OHV (1968-1970) was a badge-engineered BSA 250, presumably to persuade diehard Triumph fans that it really was a Triumph.

    Ironic though, as the BSA unit 250s were all based upon the Triumph Tigercub design.

    Edited by amateur

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    .

    Did you ever see a DMW with the 2stroke 250t villiers (spelling) trailing link front forks as far as i remember  ,i had one when i was 16 and was good bike WHEN it ran on the 2 cylinders. Aother queer one that uses the 250t engine was a scooter called i think a dayton abatross ,very fast for a scooter but  **** looking ,my pal owned that , the wifes brother had 1952 bantam and i was sitting behind him on my b33 at lights.let his engine revs drop till it nearly cut out but gave it a rev ,lights changed and he  put it in gear and the bantam shot back just missing me , engine had reversed  itself,never seen it before or after.

    waffled on a bit there,

    Edited by AULD YIN
    add on info

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    15 hours ago, AULD YIN said:

    .

    Did you ever see a DMW with the 2stroke 250t villiers (spelling) trailing link front forks as far as i remember  ,i had one when i was 16 and was good bike WHEN it ran on the 2 cylinders. Aother queer one that uses the 250t engine was a scooter called i think a dayton abatross ,very fast for a scooter but  **** looking ,my pal owned that , the wifes brother had 1952 bantam and i was sitting behind him on my b33 at lights.let his engine revs drop till it nearly cut out but gave it a rev ,lights changed and he  put it in gear and the bantam shot back just missing me , engine had reversed  itself,never seen it before or after.

    waffled on a bit there,

    The chap on the other side of the road had the DMW Dolomite 2T, with, as I recall, square section frame tubes - they didn't build many.

    I rather fancy a DMW Deemster, the 2T engined sort of scooter that the police occasionally used.

    As to 2 strokes running backwards -  I had an old Lambretta LD that I decided to "tune" by increasing the compression ratio, advancing the timing and knocking a hole in the silencer. (Please don't judge me, I was only 17 at the time and hadn't a clue).

    Long story short - took it out for a test run. It was louder, seemed quicker and when I changed down to second gear, the engine promptly went into reverse. Brown trouser time😄

    Advancing the ignition timing on 2 strokes to force the engine to run backwards was used by (I think) Bond to provide a reverse function on their 3 wheelers.

    Edited by amateur

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    The bantam running backwards brings back memories of the 125 we tuned with a "George Todd" squish head, crankcase packing, ports filed to where we thought looked good and finally,,opening the  slots on the points plate to allow for a goodly amount of ignition advance. As mentioned above,,,,,you know the outcome !! 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Yep my DMW had a box section frame but for the life of me cannot remember the model,re the lambretta ,due to an accident on a b31 I had a plate put in to my wrist so had been to the hospital and had 23 stitches taken out and a new stuky fitted so my pal gave me a run in to leith on his lambretta on the way along ferry road a brand new triumph polis car drove out of a side street across the  road and a polisman jumped  out and tried to wave us down ,no chance we skelped in to triumph just behind his rear wheel  and i went over the boot  and landed on the road about  7 feet past the car stuky in bits and a gashed leg,police ran me back to the same hospital that had just taken out the stitches on my wrist,hospital wanted to put another 5 stitches in my leg ,refused the stitches so they refused to redo stuky  or even put a plaster on my leg and told me to go, had a few choice words with the polis but never went on a lambretta again.   

    Edited by AULD YIN

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Horrid, unstable things, scooters.

    I had only the two - mainly because they only cost £5 each and were intended to be flogged to death on the ride to work.

    The Lambretta LD 150cc was the epitome of grey porridge, slow and unstable with no brakes. After I had tried "tuning" it, it went away via the scrappy.

    I also has a Triumph Tina 98cc, which had a CVT automatic drive system. This meant no gear changes, and the engine kept the same revs, whatever the loading on it. This resulted in one humiliating episode where a push-bike overtook me on a slight hill and opening the throttle had zero effect. 😠

    The other design fault on the Tina was that the kickstart was the only way of starting it (you could not bump-start it because the belt would slip). The kickstart mechanism had some very fragile gears, so once they had worn, that was it. This too was condemned to the scrappy.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Slack Alice, one of the last off roaders I built, Pre war 240 in post war frame, a pre war DKW 350, & a Bantam I called Squab,A broken ankle & a heart attack, put paid to bikes (it was that or shooting said Mrs Guzzicat!) happy memories tho.

    P8280254.JPG

    PB180327.JPG

    P1100377.JPG

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I do like "specials" or bitsas as the uncouth say.

    This is one that I built over 30 years ago out of 4 different Rickman Micrometisses to produce the hot 125 roadster that Rickman never made

    http://Rickman Zundapp 125.png

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    Sign in to follow this  

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×