SKY HD remote control

steve_b_wales

I purchased a new remote from Argos today, as the buttons on our 'old' one were sticking and playing up. I linked the remote to the TV correctly and everything worked, apart from the mute button. I tried linking it again but had the same result. I contacted SKY and explained the problem. He said that if the volume control worked (it did) then in his opinion the fault was with the remote. I've just exchanged the remote for another one, went through the same procedure and the same problem is there again! I could manage without the mute function, but shouldn't have to.

Any idea's what's wrong? I do intend to phone SKY again tomorrow morning.

1 hour ago, scouser said:

In my experience sky customer service is shi####,the only time they do anything is when you threaten to leave.

our sky stoped working on sunday we have sky protect which is all the sky equipment is covered, said they would send an engineer tuesday between 1 & 5  so took half a day of work no one turned up so rang them told them to cancel the lot as im sick of being messed about ten minutes later a manager rang me back upgraded me to sky Q in two rooms and next month bill free so happy day's :good:

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

We haven't got the remote for the TV, it was damaged years ago, and we use the SKY remote to operate it. The mute button worked on the old remote.

You need to "tune" the remote to the telly.

We had the same problem with our Virgin box which our son-in-law fixed by laboriously tapping in codes until it did work. We upgraded to the latest Virgin box with a new remote and of course the mute doesn't work on that.

I can't be bothered to sort it out.

8 hours ago, amateur said:

You need to "tune" the remote to the telly.

We had the same problem with our Virgin box which our son-in-law fixed by laboriously tapping in codes until it did work. We upgraded to the latest Virgin box with a new remote and of course the mute doesn't work on that.

I can't be bothered to sort it out.

I did this by entering the code that links the remote to the TV. It's the same code as I used with the previous remote.

9 hours ago, Harnser said:

Have you tried switching every thing off and then switching every thing back on .

Harnser 

Yes, but it didn't alter anything.

26 minutes ago, Swinton said:

Could possibly do the trick. I'm going to check with SKY forst to see if they can offer any other advice.

UPDATE:

I've just contacted SKY and was told that even though it's a genuine replacement remote, not all features 'may' not work. He asked for the remote control version and then asked me to remove the batteries and press the SELECT button for 15 seconds. I then followed instructions to re-program the remote, using a code that he gave me. This didn't work and another code was tried with the same effect. A 3rd code was given, which was the code used on my previous remote (and didn't work with this new remote) and it's now okay.:)

The SKY advisor wasn't 100% sure why the code didn't work yesterday though.

5 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

UPDATE:

I've just contacted SKY and was told that even though it's a genuine replacement remote, not all features 'may' not work. He asked for the remote control version and then asked me to remove the batteries and press the SELECT button for 15 seconds. I then followed instructions to re-program the remote, using a code that he gave me. This didn't work and another code was tried with the same effect. A 3rd code was given, which was the code used on my previous remote (and didn't work with this new remote) and it's now okay.:)

The SKY advisor wasn't 100% sure why the code didn't work yesterday though.

Ahh, but did you turn it on and off yesterday