Wales / Bristol clay ground

Lloyd90

My brother in laws licence has just come through so he will be looking for clay grounds in the South Wales area. 

I am also in the Bristol area and somewhere that we could both go would be ideal. 

Currently we have been heading down to Mendip which is a lovely ground, but insist you must use their carts which are like shooting confetti! 

Any recommendations for ground and possibly even who to see for lessons? 

Thanks 

On 07/12/2018 at 13:55, sandspider said:

Brookbank is good. Had a lesson there once with the blonde girl who shoots for the UK olympic team, Abbey something?

Seems that Treetops in Wales has closed down, shame, it was good a while back.

I used to enjoy shooting there too but found the chap that ran it was a bit arsey at times, especially towards the end and the layout didn't change very often. Seem to remember he put his pension fund into the business so that would probably explain his demeanour. That said, it's never good to see a ground close like that.

On 06/12/2018 at 16:39, Mr.T said:

You may want to consider this place

http://www.bristolclayshooting.com/

I’ve been there a few times and it’s a nice friendly shoot with some good variable targets.

Theres also this ground:

http://www.dbcleisure.co.uk

I’m pretty sure they have a non-coached shoot once a month, but might be worth a quick phone call to check. Being in Lydney it’s only a quick nip along from South Wales.

On 07/12/2018 at 15:29, Hotch said:

I’m heading to brook bank tomorrow for the first time. Useually go to mendip on a Sunday or Woodspring clay shoot on every other Saturday. Can be found on Facebook near Weston super mare, friendly and cheap they sell Fiocchi carts which I like to use. 

How was Brookbank? 

• 2 weeks later...

Went to brookbank Boxing Day wasn’t to bad same price as Mendip but only allow for 8 percent of no birds. There were a few more no birds than they allowed for which they charged for.  

food was a little more expensive than I thought it would be. Will probably go back if the staff cheer up a bit to. 

Going to give Lady’s wood a go on the 5th does look very posh and expensive I’m sure we will stick out like sore thumbs. Haha

Edited by Hotch

I don't know how far it is from you, but I shoot a lot at Griffin Lloyds http://www.griffinlloyd.co.uk/index.htm and it's very likely the best shooting ground I've shot at. Take a 4x4, a couple of slabs and drive up the valley, shooting a few stands as you go along.

We usual have lunch at the back of the car near the middle and then continue up...

I shot at Mendip recently, they do have a nice sporting layout down the woods. 

They just seem a bit slap dash about everything though. There's two almost open man holes right outside the front entrance. One has an lid on thats all smashed up with a huge hole in and the other wasn't put on properly. I thought the other week that someone will fall down that soon.

Well boxing day I went down as invited with some friends and low and behold a bloke fell down the one with the lid not on properly!! I ran over and pulled him out as he was half down with his leg all folded up back on himself, luckily it didn't break! 

I helped him inside and told the lads inside and they had the cheek to still charge the bloke for his round of clays!! 

I told the manager the least he could of done is say the round was on the house, considering it was a nasty fall. 

As I say lovely ground but other things just make you think about how safe you are down there :/