101 woes

ratchers

Was raining the other day which put paid to my early morning shooting plans.

However the day dried out and I thought I'd get the last two hours in to dusk.

I shoot squirrels off a feeding box in a wood with an air rifle.

This wood has public footpaths running through it so I phone the Police to let them know I'm there,dont want to scare the natives.

Rang 101 to be told I was number 9 in the queue, 45 minutes later I got through to speak to someone, it was nearly dark by then!

Anybody else have this problem?

38 minutes ago, ant1 said:

no never been a problem for me,only because i dont phone them

+1 

I wouldnt bother , keep your permission letter on you, and try not to scare anyone.
Alternatively , drop them an email the day before.
Ringing 101 probably goes no where anyway.

20 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

+1 

I wouldnt bother , keep your permission letter on you, and try not to scare anyone.
Alternatively , drop them an email the day before.
Ringing 101 probably goes no where anyway.

Typically when I didn't let them know, a MOP rang the police to report a poacher/terrorist/armed man.

After sitting in the woods ambushing squirrels for ages,felt the phone vibrate in my pocket(ringing on silent).

The Police had been ringing me for the last 20 minutes to ascertain what was going on,lucky it wasn't armed response.

The 101 team create a log with your name place and activity so if someone does report you they know its you and not a baddy!

I often have the same problem with TVP - I have to ring for a URN (unique reference number) before I can shoot and, for example, on Saturday it took 20 minutes to get through :mad:. Funnily enough on Saturday I had a newbie PC and she asked me to describe my gun - she simply failed to find my answer of "beautiful" funny.

I’m with Cumbria. My FEO mentioned ringing in donkies years ago so as a courtesy to him I gave it a go. The lady on reception wanted my cert number, which I didn’t have, but I explained she could access it, but I was wrong as she was a civilian. She wanted to know what time I was going out and if I would be on my own, which was fair enough, but then she wanted to know what time I/we would be back ( no idea ) what firearms I/ we would be taking ( no idea ) where we would be going ( no idea ) and what we would be shooting. I didn’t bother calling again. 

The last time I called 101 it took me over 20 mins to get through all the procedures and ended up leaving my email address. I was called back the following day, which was too late for the farm stock on the highway. Waste of time in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’m with Cumbria. My FEO mentioned ringing in donkies years ago so as a courtesy to him I gave it a go. The lady on reception wanted my cert number, which I didn’t have, but I explained she could access it, but I was wrong as she was a civilian. She wanted to know what time I was going out and if I would be on my own, which was fair enough, but then she wanted to know what time I/we would be back ( no idea ) what firearms I/ we would be taking ( no idea ) where we would be going ( no idea ) and what we would be shooting. I didn’t bother calling again. 

The last time I called 101 it took me over 20 mins to get through all the procedures and ended up leaving my email address. I was called back the following day, which was too late for the farm stock on the highway. Waste of time in my opinion. 

Yep.

Wanted to know what time I was going to be on site, what time leaving, what gun, what vehicle, what was I shooting, what phone I was carrying, what what what?

Although where I shoot is rural so there are many shooters, theres always one dog walker who doesn't like the look of a camoed up bloke.

As Iv'e said, the time you dont phone is the time you get reported, its **** law innit.

Forgot to say.

If I was going down to my mates farm to do pest control then I wouldn't bother phoning 101.

Its only cos my squirrel permission has got public roaming through it.

Never bother...never had a problem.  I see the most awful driving every day with weapons(cars) and they don't have to ring in to say they are out attempting to kill someone why on earth should I.   In my time in the job we knew who would be shooting anyway and probably be in the next field:good:

The police have got far better things to try to do and believe me their(those on the front line) hands are tied before they start. 

2 hours ago, spandit said:

Sounds like you need to improve your camouflage skills... either that or dress in neutral country clothing and less like you're at an ISIS training camp

Access to to the wood is by a public car park nest to a railway station and a woodyard.

Always people knocking about.

Dont think its what I wear!

Letting TVP know where you will be and when via 101 is a waste of time IMO. I once spent 30 minutes handcuffed whilst a team of 8 (un-armed) coppers searched me and my car because I was shooting (lamping bunnies) on council owned land. This was after getting a URN from TVP 3 hours previously, and working as a pest control contractor for the council. The fools had shed themselves of all their reflective Hi-viz stuff so that they could 'creep up on the scene' .. then shone a high intensity torch into my car to check it out. I saw them from 3 fields away and had no idea who it was. I unloaded the rifle, removed the mag and left the action open (semi auto) before approaching at speed. I was no more than 20 yards from them when I challenged them (they had no idea where I was until that point) then panic set in :lol: I pointed out that with no way of seeing who they were, had I been a 'wrong 'un ' , I could have had the lot of them from the far side of the field and they wouldn't have known what hit them.

They claimed that due to a system glitch they couldn't verify the URN with headquarters until it was far too late in proceedings to have done any good.

Edited by Longstrider

I had 8 armed coppers heavely armed with sheilds and attack dogs. I was lit up like a christmas tree!! On center mass. Then the search light on the helicopter shinning on us then god knows how many normal coppers with a search dog combing woods liking for somthing that wasnt there!!! Tax payers $$$

On 06/12/2018 at 14:36, ratchers said:

Was raining the other day which put paid to my early morning shooting plans.

However the day dried out and I thought I'd get the last two hours in to dusk.

I shoot squirrels off a feeding box in a wood with an air rifle.

This wood has public footpaths running through it so I phone the Police to let them know I'm there,dont want to scare the natives.

Rang 101 to be told I was number 9 in the queue, 45 minutes later I got through to speak to someone, it was nearly dark by then!

Anybody else have this problem?

on the basc webb site, it says you can shoot on a foot path and across it, but you must be able to see people coming, and let them know your there, works for me,

Edited by mossy835