Sign in to follow this  
JDog

Brexit? This is much more important.

My cereals in the morning wouldn't be the same without honey. No more sticky spoons but squeeze the plastic container. How easy is that?

There is though a problem. When honey crystalizes it ceases to be 'runny honey' and it stays stubbornly in the container. Microwaving does not appear to solve the problem. Are there any genii out there who can solve this?

thumbnail_20181206_172214_resized.jpg

A few seconds in the microwave does it for me.

Depends on the source of the nectar the bees collected. Rape is the worst for crystallising. So much so, that you have to do a snatch and run from the hive to the extractor before it crystallises and makes it impossible to remove. Rape honey is the Bain of beekeepers lives.

Edited by moondoggy
    Writing more

Use warm water from the tap, not the kettle. Keep repeating the process until all the crystals disappear.

Store your honey where it is warm. Honey will crystallise quicker when it is cold.

It is very important not to overheat your honey. Too much heat will ruin the honey and it will only be suitable for baking.

15 minutes ago, JDog said:

My cereals in the morning wouldn't be the same without honey. No more sticky spoons but squeeze the plastic container. How easy is that?

There is though a problem. When honey crystalizes it ceases to be 'runny honey' and it stays stubbornly in the container. Microwaving does not appear to solve the problem. Are there any genii out there who can solve this?

thumbnail_20181206_172214_resized.jpg

Ha ha, we've all been there, Rowse certainly does crystallize easily, I've done the hot water, microwave. I think its down to storage temperature?

I don’t use them for this very reason. I still buy honey in glass jars and use the spoon I intend to use to eat my porridge to spoon out the honey, so no sticky spoon. 

34 minutes ago, walshie said:

Eat it before it crystallizes.

Is the best answer so far, better off to exclude the air by squeezing the bottle, seal the lid and stand the bottle upside down!

Carefully place it in the bin, don your walking boots, head to the shop and get some bacon, sausages and black pudding. I find that if these are kept in the fridge they do not crystallise and make a suitable breakfast.

4 minutes ago, Harnser said:

We know a man who could sort out a gizmo to make your honey flow .

harnser

Using a Landrover heat exchanger

2 hours ago, Harnser said:

We know a man who could sort out a gizmo to make your honey flow .

harnser

now that fat sarah has gone ...i have a pre-loved machine available at a very small cost................

aahhhh please yer self....only trying to help

Edited by ditchman

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 00:20, Danger-Mouse said:

I'm now curious which cereals you pour honey over? Porridge makes sense but I'm struggling to think of another?

Have you never put honey on Weetabix?? You must have!