Tradesman rates

eddoakley

Following on from another thread what do tradesmen earn in your area?

Bricky, chippy, plumber, spark, spread and any others that you can think of.

Some rates seem incredible.

I know it would vary massively but around here I know of people on £10 p/h and others on £25 but that's considered very high. I don't know anyone that's getting more than £200 a day.

What's it like around the country?

Edd

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a chippy and I charge 150. But I've been told its not enough. I've heard of brickies  on 240. I must be in the wrong trade! A good spark i work with charges 240 plus vat. And plumbers well........ Thinking a number, double it and add your dad's age.

I'm in Leicestershire

Edited by haynes

Prices around the SE, Labourer 80-100,   bricky £180 , Plumber £200, Chipie £150, Plasterer 120-140. (These are prices i am paying/have just paid) But It depends, and varies quite a bit, on how fast they are and how much they knock out in a day and the amount of work you have for them.      

( The plumber had 5 complete combi systems to instal, back to back, in the same building)

Also, I organise all materials etc and have them ready on site, so they don't need to spend time ordering/collecting etc

17 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

According to popular opinion plumbers are earning £120k a year....

According to the trade organisations they average £70k (that may be what they put down on their returns??)

Edited by silver pigeon69

2 minutes ago, Winston72 said:

plumber in Leeds site rate would be 250 a day pipe fitter 300, if its day rate self employed doing ratting jobs again about 300, if its a boiler change hes probably walking away with 8-900 a day

Is this working for the general public or subcontractor rates????

when you say pipe fitter, do you mean drainage/ground works?

hello, most trades around here are £30/£35 hour sparkies, £160/£180/200 day, brickie, same chippy, gas engineer  50/65 K plus a year, i was quoted for boiler change £60 hour,  at £4000 got it done for £2000/ boiler plus bits £800, 3.5 days work but a good tradesman 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

26 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I charge £150  a day .im a chippy 

And i think im too cheap .and too good / fast .

Making these gates (fully m/t joints ) on site to customers specs in 3 days plus 1/2 day to fit .

IMG_20181206_224434.jpg

I would say yes that's too cheap Stu considering you'll provide your own van tools etc,  but I'm guessing your booked solid, so where would people draw the line between knowing you have work or charging a top rate?

my missis likes to point out I'm useless because i set/run machines in work, that won't build her extension 😂 

39 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, most trades around here are £30/£35 hour sparkies, £160/£180/200 day, brickie, same chippy, gas engineer  50/65 K plus a year, i was quoted for boiler change £60 hour,  at £4000 got it done for £2000/ boiler plus bits £800, 3.5 days work but a good tradesman 

3.5 days for a boiler change? That must be a very big/complicated boiler?

Bricklayers round here , 25/m on artificial stone and 15/m on 4in blockwork, This makes 400 a day possible, Not this week as its raining.This is based on what i was making pro rata on 18 and 9 an meter 10 years ago.

Now im a developer my plumber wants 200 a day, joiners 150/160  and plasterers are 1750 per house.I paid my brickies 120/150 per day.  These rates are for South Yorkshire and are labour only.

This totally depends on area ( I know that’s what your asking ) and skill level. 

Ive seen some awful work that trades think demand high rates. 

midlands

chippy £150-180 a day 

sparks the same and he’s amazingly fast and neat.

im a joiner and try to get £250 but £200 is a lot more common. 

My rents £1000 a month plus machines which are £250,000 . We get through so much work it’s crazy.

Edited by team tractor

8 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I charge £150  a day .im a chippy 

And i think im too cheap .and too good / fast .

Making these gates (fully m/t joints ) on site to customers specs in 3 days plus 1/2 day to fit .

IMG_20181206_224434.jpg

The labour on those as a job is £350/400 and we could make in a day between me and an apprentice but I’m not struggling on a floor using site tools. :) 

thats including machining the timber from plank to par . 

Youve done well on site . 

A decent chippy is £160ish around here( midlands) 

swings and roundabouts mate. I have to charge a lot more for our machines but they machine real fast. 

Put the pic on the joinerybible on Facebook ;) they look smart

9 hours ago, silver pigeon69 said:

3.5 days for a boiler change? That must be a very big/complicated boiler?

he had to do extra pipe work and clean out old system and fitted new valves and a filter system, that was 2 years ago and just returned to do a full service,  having know many plumbers/gas engineers in my area i can trust peter for the work he does,

I mix my time between domestic and site work. For private work I charge 160 a day. Site work could be anything between 160 - 400 a day depending on what I'm doing. I can earn twice as much applying silicone all day than when I'm on the tools (chippy) which is annoying. I made some gates in my garden and fitted them for 950 the other week. Midlands