Tradesman rates

eddoakley

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UI charge 140 a day plus materials as a painter and 250 a day plus materials and expenses for art workshops. 

OH gets 250 a day plus expenses when she is asked to do workshops in schools. 

There are many trades which make a lot more money than me, but like I mentioned in a discussion with a mate a while ago, I’m at the stage now where I consider how much I need rather than how much I want. I often take Fridays off to go beating nowadays rather than go to work....I only get 40 quid a day for that, but I’m not going for the money. 

A mate makes excellent money driving plant and works all the hours he can get; he doesnt need 1500 quid a week, but he wants it. We’ve stopped asking him if he wants to come shooting as he’s always too busy. His choice. 

Im not arrogant enough to say it’s not about the money, because in the past I’ve been in the position where it has been.  I’m making less money nowadays than I was last year or the last few years, but  it’s quality of life which takes priority over standard of living for me nowadays. 

Nice gates; don’t paint them, even with today’s **** poor tanalising, paint doesn’t take too well to it.

Edited by Scully

20 minutes ago, ditchman said:

very very nice..............

local so called gardeners around here charge £16.50/hr...and that is cash in hand..........you cannot get gardeners around here for love nor money.............

hello, any lady gardeners looking for love as payment i have a window box :lol:

As a carpet fitter, usually worked out roughly £15ph think 1 job figured out £50ph but another was roughly £5ph. Swings and roundabouts ect

Tree surgery and hedge cutting £15-20ph or a full day £160. Staying with council full time tho as its my bread and butter and won't get a mortgage (yet) if I go self employed full time. 

Edited by strimmer_13

14 minutes ago, Scully said:

UI charge 140 a day plus materials as a painter and 250 a day plus materials and expenses for art workshops. 

There are many trades which make a lot more money than me, but like I mentioned in a discussion with a mate a while ago, I’m at the stage now where I consider how much I need rather than how much I want. I often take Fridays off to go beating nowadays rather than go to work....I only get 40 quid a day for that, but I’m not going for the money. 

A mate makes excellent money driving plant and works all the hours he can get; he doesnt need 1500 quid a week, but he wants it. We’ve stopped asking him if he wants to come shooting as he’s always too busy. His choice. 

Im not arrogant enough to say it’s not about the money, because in the past I’ve been in the position where it has been.  I’m making less money nowadays than I was last year or the last few years, but  it’s quality of life which takes priority over standard of living for me nowadays. 

Nice gates; don’t paint them, even with today’s **** poor tanalising, paint doesn’t take too well to it.

Interesting post Scully , I accept we all need to work to pay the bills but at what price ? , do we go and do long hours doing manual work and contain a lot of stress because you can earn good money , or do you go and earn a lower wage doing work you enjoy and less stressful .

In the 80s I was working for a building company building cable ducts below ground level , this involved long hours and covering six and half days a week , at the time I was earning over £200 a week which was good money , one day I took a long hard look at my life style , do I want to carry on doing these long hours just to put money in the bank or get a lesser paid job and start enjoying my life again .

When I saw a job advertised in our local paper for a jobbing bricklayer on a local agricultural  estate paying less than half of what I was then earning I decided to give it a go for six months to see if I could manage copping with less pay and less hours .

Moving on to now , the six months lasted nearly 30 years and I never regretted the job change right up until I retired 10 years ago , we are not well off by any means but I have got my own house , car and don't owe anyone a penny.

With me enjoying the countryside, the perks from the job more than compensated the cut in pay as I have often left off at 3pm on a Friday and shot the first pigeon over the decoys by 5 past 3 after setting the decoys up during my dinner break , been on morning duck flights on the lake before I have started work and been on most of the prestige shoots in East Anglia , and of top of that I was getting a reasonable wage I could easily live on .

15 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Interesting post Scully , I accept we all need to work to pay the bills but at what price ? , do we go and do long hours doing manual work and contain a lot of stress because you can earn good money , or do you go and earn a lower wage doing work you enjoy and less stressful .

In the 80s I was working for a building company building cable ducts below ground level , this involved long hours and covering six and half days a week , at the time I was earning over £200 a week which was good money , one day I took a long hard look at my life style , do I want to carry on doing these long hours just to put money in the bank or get a lesser paid job and start enjoying my life again .

When I saw a job advertised in our local paper for a jobbing bricklayer on a local agricultural  estate paying less than half of what I was then earning I decided to give it a go for six months to see if I could manage copping with less pay and less hours .

Moving on to now , the six months lasted nearly 30 years and I never regretted the job change right up until I retired 10 years ago , we are not well off by any means but I have got my own house , car and don't owe anyone a penny.

With me enjoying the countryside, the perks from the job more than compensated the cut in pay as I have often left off at 3pm on a Friday and shot the first pigeon over the decoys by 5 past 3 after setting the decoys up during my dinner break , been on morning duck flights on the lake before I have started work and been on most of the prestige shoots in East Anglia , and of top of that I was getting a reasonable wage I could easily live on .

Good for you. I’m not well off either, but I’m my own boss again and to a certain extent can work when I want. Nine to five days have me constantly clock watching; it’s something I never do now I’m back on for myself again. 

34 minutes ago, Wiggum said:

I’m a sparky and normally charge £160 a day £40 Callout including 1st hour then £20 per hour after that a sparky mate living a mile away from me charges £220 a day and has loads of work

Sometimes I think that people see higher rates and think "they must be good" and people still get work even though they are more expensive than others.

I don't think I charge enough for me or any of my guys but then I think that most subbies that quote to me for jobs are expensive.

Perhaps I should put my rates up and then wouldn't always think that others charge too much.

Edd

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Take what you need not want. 

I work 80+ hours someweeks but it’s catching up with work not about money.

i hate letting people down 😞 

our trade isn’t great money after expenses but you cant beat driving down a road saying “ I built that “ 

Edited by team tractor

I’m a carpenter and work to £180-£200 a day. In Kent.  I price jobs so some jobs can be priced higher than that like wardrobes etc as I’ll still be cheaper than the likes of sharps etc. Sometimes don’t all go to plan and end up earning less 🙄

I’ll join you Stu and show some of my recent work 😊

nice gates by the way 👍🏻

80D4F795-83E5-473E-AD5B-962556CFFB00.jpeg

60A2C99D-41BF-4181-9AB7-C0741DB74A3B.jpeg

23E4FE62-D99C-441F-9EF6-DDD8279D60EE.jpeg

31FB0C4B-0B1A-41F1-B67B-9396FD82D7DC.jpeg

E12C4970-24D4-4753-B60C-666D2DA094FF.jpeg

1B416220-7298-42A9-B0EA-5925F6EA60D2.jpeg

8C1DF06E-376A-4A0A-BB0B-A9027D242271.jpeg

I think this day and age what with a shortage of trades and certainly no one coming in to it we need to be looking around £200 per day. As I always say take your tax, insurances, phone tool and vehicle ware and tear out of it you’ll do well to be doing £140 a day. Look at it like that and that ain’t a lot of money!

All trades are expensive in the Lakes (that is if you can get them to quote!) Anyway after a previous unfortunate messy incident. Last year my wife insisted  next time I call in a professional sweep. I knew the sweeps wife and called her, saying there was no rush and the next few weeks would do,  she replied he was booked up for 2 months and gave me a slot at 8am in 2 months time at a cost of £40 per chimney. I had 3 chimneys swept but got no discount, £120 for less than 1 hours work! The sweep was a nice guy and we got talking, He didn’t want to register for vat, so kept his earnings below £80k and always finished work by lunchtime. Nice work if you can get it! 

tools :-Land Rover Disco, battery drill, lightweight flexible rod and brush and £500 hoover. I later checked with friends who had all been charged £40 per chimney.by other sweeps.

Afterwards, I did wonder, whether I made the wrong career choice...

Ps, this guy only swept chimneys, no repair work. The prices charged by wood burning stove installers is really eye smarting and wallet busting, you have to plead with them to give you a quote. It took one guy 2 months to come out and give me a ridiculous quote, in the end I employed an installer from Lancaster (20 miles away) and saved £1200. It took 3 hrs, including installing flue liner.

21 minutes ago, winnie&bezza said:

I’m a carpenter and work to £180-£200 a day. In Kent.  I price jobs so some jobs can be priced higher than that like wardrobes etc as I’ll still be cheaper than the likes of sharps etc. Sometimes don’t all go to plan and end up earning less 🙄

I’ll join you Stu and show some of my recent work 😊

nice gates by the way 👍🏻

80D4F795-83E5-473E-AD5B-962556CFFB00.jpeg

60A2C99D-41BF-4181-9AB7-C0741DB74A3B.jpeg

23E4FE62-D99C-441F-9EF6-DDD8279D60EE.jpeg

31FB0C4B-0B1A-41F1-B67B-9396FD82D7DC.jpeg

E12C4970-24D4-4753-B60C-666D2DA094FF.jpeg

1B416220-7298-42A9-B0EA-5925F6EA60D2.jpeg

8C1DF06E-376A-4A0A-BB0B-A9027D242271.jpeg

Nice work .especially like the under stairs stuff .thats right up my street .

IMG_20181207_221307.jpg

IMG_20181207_221341.jpg

IMG_20181207_221420.jpg

IMG_20181207_221506.jpg

IMG_20181207_221558.jpg

IMG_20181207_221646.jpg

Built this entire house and the massive front doors  2.7 m high and 1m wide each 

IMG_20181207_222639.jpg

Edited by Ultrastu

32 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Nice work .especially like the under stairs stuff .thats right up my street .

IMG_20181207_221307.jpg

IMG_20181207_221341.jpg

IMG_20181207_221420.jpg

IMG_20181207_221506.jpg

IMG_20181207_221558.jpg

IMG_20181207_221646.jpg

Built this entire house and the massive front doors  2.7 m high and 1m wide each 

IMG_20181207_222639.jpg

Thanks mate, I didn’t realise you did that kind of work. Puts mine in the shade a bit haha. You really charge £150 a day for that quality work! Not for me to say really but you should up it. You deserve more for that. It really annoys me when you here these site bashers who produce ****, earn £180-200 or even more and then people who take pride and produce quality stuff don’t earn as much. Maybe it’s because we are working in the domestic field. 

So are you a trained joiner and carpenter or self taught joiner etc? Great to see others producing lovely work 

Stu, that's first class my wife wants to kidnap you for a while.

Have a look a the play fort at Lowther castle, i thought you had built it for a minute.

1 hour ago, Sciurus said:

All trades are expensive in the Lakes (that is if you can get them to quote!) Anyway 

Your right there, my inlaws had real trouble getting folk round, when they eventually turned up they charged top dollar for average work.

Cheers for the kind words winnie / mice 

Much appreciated. Yeah i know i under charge .but i enjoy my work and dont get stressed. 

Its all custom work and hand built onsite .the idigbo  sliding doors were a highlight last month .

The  shoe draw cabinet is also a radiator cover .there is a matching one the other side with coat storage .

Kev, it’s unbeleivable how difficult it is to get tradesmen or quotes. My nearest wood burning showroom is 2 roads away, I couldn’t get the owner to come and give me a quote unless I agreed to give him the work beforehand. I declined! To replace a central heating boiler, I brought my old plumber and his mate up from St Helens, 70 miles away for 2 days and saved a fortune. My British Gas service engineer only works for BG in wintertime as he can make far more money drystone walling in the summer. Nearly every shop or bar has a sign in the window looking for staff. The one thing I will say is work up here is of a good standard,

Good luck in finding the right job, I changed direction in my fifties and with hindsight wished I had done years before.