Japanese hand gardening tools (why I'm not restoring the Diana)

rovercoupe

Right so you might be wondering why there has been no updated to the Diana restoration, well I have been bogged down with knocking up some Christmas presents for all my relatives. There all into gardening and my old man is really into his Japanese tools so for his birthday he wanted something off this tool site and I saw the hand gardening tools and thought I could knock up one of those. And so it began!

the production of hand forks and hand hoes. Start with one knackered fork that was being thrown away by someone so I grabbed it and thought  I would have a use for that one day! 

IMG-6693.jpg

and chop it up into this,

IMG-6694.jpg

IMG-6695.jpg

IMG-6696.jpg

Edited by rovercoupe

Well I was supposed to be finishing the shafts today but my other half is coming home early so had to hide them away and tidy all my mess up!

but here is a bit more progress,

Shafts cut from a tree felled in my garden a few years ago, also made some hoes so I cam make a couple of sets.

IMG-6701.jpg

IMG-6700.jpg

IMG-6702.jpg

i did not like the size and shape of the fork so I cut it up and re welded it up so the forks are closer together and looks much better now. 

4 hours ago, rovercoupe said:

Well I was supposed to be finishing the shafts today but my other half is coming home early so had to hide them away and tidy all my mess up!

but here is a bit more progress,

Shafts cut from a tree felled in my garden a few years ago, also made some hoes so I cam make a couple of sets.

IMG-6701.jpg

IMG-6700.jpg

IMG-6702.jpg

i did not like the size and shape of the fork so I cut it up and re welded it up so the forks are closer together and looks much better now. 

Very nice sir 👏👏 

Bit more progress, 

mmm shavings, it's been so long since I did any woodwork and was quite satisfying 

IMG-6745.jpg

Ready for oil and test fit,

IMG-6714.jpg

IMG-6716.jpg

sample one painted and oiled,

IMG-6747.jpg

the rest getting oiled,

IMG-6749.jpg

hopefully today I will get the rest painted and start final fit, just need some wedges, might have to buy them!

Edited by rovercoupe

11 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

Bit more progress, 

mmm shavings, it's been so long since I did any woodwork and was quite satisfying 

IMG-6745.jpg

Ready for oil and test fit,

IMG-6714.jpg

IMG-6716.jpg

sample one painted and oiled,

IMG-6747.jpg

the rest getting oiled,

IMG-6749.jpg

hopefully today I will get the rest painted and start final fit, just need some wedges, might have to buy them!

hello, can you not make some wedges from off cuts and glue in ? full width of box section and clean off smooth then what ever your going to use to coat handles

Yeah that's the plan, went and bought a few wedges and metal rings to go in and hold them firm, it all went ok will need to do a bit of finishing work on them as the wedges were a bit crappy and some broke but there all held nice and firm. Just getting a last few coats of oil before there done. 

Would like some kind of nice presentation box but a bit lost for what to use.

IMG-6758.jpg

IMG-6752.jpg

IMG-6760.jpg