fine for too much ammo

davewh100

46 minutes ago, prem1234 said:

mind you this story is old and from 2013 !!

To be honest, as it was a simple search I was surprised at what little turned up.  Just a little shocked to see the harshness of the punishment, a fine I would expect, but to take away his FAC completely seemed excessive.

" but merseyside along with some other forces have stated they intend to do unanounced spot checks on firearms holders "

Where has this been  published?  Any one had such an unexpected announcement?  Pretty sure they need good reason to enter your house, a warrant with reasons.

RS

13 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

Pretty sure they need good reason to enter your house, a warrant with reasons.

Yeah - in the absence of a warrant for which they need reason, they can be invited in by yourself.  However not sure if your refusal to allow them entry could give them "reason".

HI HF

I recall this from a few months back.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsliverpool/security-fears-lead-to-two-gun-dealers-losing-sales-permits/ar-AAAbAzN

2 hours ago, hawkfanz said:

now thats tough,,but merseyside along with some other forces have stated they intend to do unanounced spot checks on firearms holders.so beware guys.

atb

7diaw

3 hours ago, Jongwe said:

Yeah - in the absence of a warrant for which they need reason, they can be invited in by yourself.  However not sure if your refusal to allow them entry could give them "reason".

No refusing to let them isn't good reason for them to get a warrant. It might just be an incovenient time. 

I think this is the story the OP was referring to.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/court/north-east-man-fined-for-having-more-ammunition-for-firearm-than-allowed/

It seems harsh, but it doesnt mention his ticket getting revoked ect, and as Walshie said , its clearly stated on your FAC what your holding limit is.
It comes back to that same thing when it comes to firearms ownership, be squeaky.

Cannot see the reason for such tight number controls on rifle ammo, and although its an old article I also think he was dealt with harshly, a fine and warning would have been enough.    

I know…rules are rules and all that but why not apply the same rules to shotgun ammo?

A prize plonker, a good use of education. 

Typical clever people being dumb. 

It clearly states a limit on your ticket, for some reason he thought it was OK to go over, unless of course he has lost his ability to count.

Edited by Dougy

The rules are nonsensical. I can hold 500 rounds of 223 (I think, can't actually remember but I haven't got that many "in stock"). If I were to go on a rampage with my bolt action rifle, I doubt I'd get through very many before I was stopped so whether or not I had thousands hoarded is irrelevant. Can't see the logic behind the restriction, but then that holds true for many aspects of firearms licensing (such as moderators, having to apply for specific calibres etc.)

1 hour ago, spandit said:

The rules are nonsensical. I can hold 500 rounds of 223 (I think, can't actually remember but I haven't got that many "in stock"). If I were to go on a rampage with my bolt action rifle, I doubt I'd get through very many before I was stopped so whether or not I had thousands hoarded is irrelevant. Can't see the logic behind the restriction, but then that holds true for many aspects of firearms licensing (such as moderators, having to apply for specific calibres etc.)

I can see the logic, without some kind of restriction there'd be no reason to record the sale on ones certificate which means the criminally minded could travel the country buying ammo from different sources and selling them on to the underworld. 

My .22 rimfire cert used to allow the purchase of 1000 and the holding of 1500 at any one time but I believe it's now revised to simply reflect how many you can keep at a time. 

2 hours ago, spandit said:

Im not sure 'going postal' is the point of the limit, and I quite agree the idea of the limit doesnt really make sense, as does the mod issue.
But thems the rules Im afraid, and as been demonstrated, breaking them wins stupid prizes.

The funny thing is, when I first got my FAC ,I asked for 2000 rnds of 22lr, back in those days I was shooting at my target club (on probation) 100 -150 rnds a week, I didnt believe that amount was excessive.
I was told straight a 1000 was as much as they were willing to allow.
These days I dont shoot at my 2 target clubs much, and if I do go on my perms, ammo use is low.
Guess what ? Ive been told if I dont start buying and using more ammo, my holding limits will be cut by 50 %.
So obviously sales are checked.
Go figure.

4 hours ago, Hamster said:

I can see the logic, without some kind of restriction there'd be no reason to record the sale on ones certificate which means the criminally minded could travel the country buying ammo from different sources and selling them on to the underworld. 

There’s nothing to prevent that from happening anyhow as we don’t have to account for their useage, but I’m not sure there is a demand for .22lr ammo in the underworld, nor .243 cf. Even more illogically I am limited to 1000 rounds of .22lr but can buy thousands of shotgun cartridges and no one would ever know.