A first for me

royden

Just got back from my first day this year on the rape and shot like a complete  bell ...d. As soon as the decoys were out the pigeon came low across the field as it was quite blustery and the gun and cartridges were still bagged up. In the rush to get on them the first shots were rushed and well off target and this seemed to set the pattern for the day.Now I don't proclaim to be the worlds best shot but I was so glad to be shooting on my own to save me the embarrassment but it started to go right and eventually I settled down with the last two cartridges from my pocket in the gun...…..and then it happened .Three pigeon came down the field to my left and then turned to come into the decoys the first two crossing over them and me dropping the back one so it dropped into the pattern. I swung onto the other birds and dropped them both with the second shot. Now if this is normal for most of you then you will have to forgive my excitement but to say I was chuffed would be an understatement and the chances of me doing it again is probably nil. The day finished with twenty pigeon in the bag but the cartridge to kill ratio is not something I shall brag about if I tell this story in the pub.

Well done in getting 20 pigeons on the rape and for getting a triple with two shots , not a everyday occurrence but I have had it happen a few times and no doubt so have a lot of members who spend a good deal of time shooting pigeons over decoys , you might wait ages till you do again or you might be lucky and do it again on your next session over decoys .

GOOD LUCK and a nice write up.

a couple of years ago on crows in yorks,2 jackdaws side by side came in to decoys from left to right fired 1 shot both dropped some time later 2 carrion crows came in same direction side by side fired 1 shot both dropped,never done it b4 4 birds 2 shots,and not done it since and thats all i fired the whole session.

Thanks for the encouragement gents, I was using Gamebore clear pigeon 30 grm  but for no other reason than I didn't have anything suitable in the box for my old side by side. I have on old George Bates hammer with Damascus barrels that I would like to use but I am a little unsure of a suitable cartridge. Any suggestions please.?

58 minutes ago, royden said:

Thanks for the encouragement gents, I was using Gamebore clear pigeon 30 grm  but for no other reason than I didn't have anything suitable in the box for my old side by side. I have on old George Bates hammer with Damascus barrels that I would like to use but I am a little unsure of a suitable cartridge. Any suggestions please.?

Is your George Bates hammer gun Black powder or Nitro prof ? , if Black powder you will need a Black powder cartridge , you can buy these from a gun shop if they stock them but I would imagine they are a bit pricey .

I have got two hammer guns and in my T Wild I used a couple of boxes of Eley Impax in the Summer on pigeons and found it very rewarding shooting pigeons with a gun that was nearly 100 years old .

Good luck with your one and keep us informed with the results .

Many years ago I went out to get a fresh bird to feed my ferret and crept up along a hedge, with blacks in the field over the other side. There were loads on the ground and being a hard up teen-ager, I wanted my one shot to count. I took my chance and after scrabbling through the hedge for the pickup, found 7 lying in the stubble. Not as good as 2 out of the sky probably, but memorable all the same. As for how many cartridges fired, we all have poor ratio days, they can be demoralising, but what is there to beat a few hours in the country, with fresh air, a gun in hand, pitting your whit's against a very challenging advisory.

I bought the George Bate off a friend who told me it had been  his grandfathers and he couldn't recall it ever being fired. When he handed it too me it was so loose it rattled and had it not been for the Damascus barrels I wouldn't have give him the £50 he asked for it. A visit to the gunsmiths for the repair work and then submission  for its first ever nitro proof cost me another £600. It would have been easier to buy one already done (and less risky financially ) but where's the fun in that.

8 hours ago, royden said:

I bought the George Bate off a friend who told me it had been  his grandfathers and he couldn't recall it ever being fired. When he handed it too me it was so loose it rattled and had it not been for the Damascus barrels I wouldn't have give him the £50 he asked for it. A visit to the gunsmiths for the repair work and then submission  for its first ever nitro proof cost me another £600. It would have been easier to buy one already done (and less risky financially ) but where's the fun in that.

Wow that is commitment. And risk taking, what with not knowing up front how much it was going to cost. But, it's another classic saved from the scrap heap. Hope you have improving luck with it.

21 hours ago, royden said:

Fiocchi do a 28 gram fibre wad load in 6 shot which is reasonably priced. I have used quite a few of those through my old English gun with good results.

9 hours ago, royden said:

Reckless the wife called it😁but better that than a new tv I thought.....and what's this decree nisi she keeps on about getting ?????

I think they tend to follow the grant of a gun licence  !       😉