Fruit of the oak

Harnser

Had a ride around the farms today and found lots of pigeons feeding under the oak trees . One field was winter barley that has two mature oaks just a few feet apart in the hedgerow. I sat in the truck and watched several pigeons dropping out of the sky and landing in the oaks . There were several birds feeding on the ground and the others soon joined them . They were having a good feed on the acorns . I walked over to the trees and disturbed at least 150 birds off the floor and in the trees . I went back to the truck and with in 15 minutes the birds were returning . Will have a crack at them tomorrow .

harnser

1 hour ago, Harnser said:

Had a ride around the farms today and found lots of pigeons feeding under the oak trees . One field was winter barley that has two mature oaks just a few feet apart in the hedgerow. I sat in the truck and watched several pigeons dropping out of the sky and landing in the oaks . There were several birds feeding on the ground and the others soon joined them . They were having a good feed on the acorns . I walked over to the trees and disturbed at least 150 birds off the floor and in the trees . I went back to the truck and with in 15 minutes the birds were returning . Will have a crack at them tomorrow .

harnser

GOOD LUCK tomorrow , a friend of mine shot 30 odd on some beet tops last week , have you seen any yet on the beet tops ?

Still on the hawe trees and bushes around me, but they are very fickle, lots of trees to choose from, so a couple of shots and their gone. Waiting to see what some hard frosts and possible snow might bring (I'm sure we'll have snow after that long hot summer) as I have winter rape and vetch etc growing on my biggest perm. Not got any decent oaks or woods unfortunately, so no roost shoots either.

37 minutes ago, marsh man said:

GOOD LUCK tomorrow , a friend of mine shot 30 odd on some beet tops last week , have you seen any yet on the beet tops ?

Only one field of beet has been harvested so far and it was drilled the next day with barley . Some of my best days have been on beet stubble . Hoping to have a go a couple of weeks down the road .

harnser