Pike fishing -Norfolk

Whitebridges

Tiddler snatching! 

Gone in the day i used to fish for big pike. Best 27lbs caught at filby broad which is pretty pathetic given the numbers of 30lb plus pike the Norfolk Broads throws up.

I've had three others over 20lbs when i was a keen piker.  

Now i'm retired i love to spend a few hours drop shotting and fishing jigheads on ultra light tackle. The gear lives in my motor and i enjoy having a cast or two when i'm out and about.  

In truth i'm trying to catch a big 'ol perch.    

15 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

That first one would make a great bait fish!

Big pike love their tiny brethren ! :good: 

Edited by Whitebridges

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Big Perch are good fun either on a plug or with a lobworm.

They are TC i’ve had ‘em to 3lbs on lobbies.

59 minutes ago, kenholland said:

I bought some fox rage dead bait lures to try do you think they might work against the frozen stuff ?  what do you think,

Sorry Ken , can’t give you an opinion because i’ve never tried them. Sorry.

I've eaten quite a few and regard them as the best fish you can batter. :good: The fillets need two extra cuts to take out the Y bones and then they need to be skinned. Plenty of vids on youtube if you want to try prepping one. Fish in the 4/6lb range is what I have done. Better add that I had permission to remove these fish and I am not from Eastern Europe (perhaps its in my genes 😂

If looking on youtube search for Northern pike same fish more or less

Edited by hambone

31 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Great going there WB.

They certainly are fiery little things jack pike, the size of the lure the first fish has tried must be a third of the size of the it's total body length.

Anyone ever eaten a pike, never tried one myself, aren't they very bony ?, seem to recall Hugh Fearnely  Market stall cooking one.

hello, yes quite a few times when i was about 12 to15 my auntie use to cook them when on a fishing visit, and yes they are very boney, salted for a few day cleaned and cooked in our old oven and spent ages de bone ing, both Auntie and Uncle were avid fishers, last one i caught was about 12llb winter 2016, nice to see it swim off,  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

24 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, yes quite a few times when i was about 12 to15 my auntie use to cook them when on a fishing visit, and yes they are very boney, salted for a few day cleaned and cooked in our old oven and spent ages de bone ing, both Auntie and Uncle were avid fishers, last one i caught was about 12llb winter 2016, nice to see it swim off,  

Thanks for the reply opp.

Salting, was that after they had been cleaned, was the salt to draw out moisture?.

Would not mind trying one.

That 12lb fish, what a cracker.

atb

7diaw

31 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Thanks for the reply opp.

Salting, was that after they had been cleaned, was the salt to draw out moisture?.

Would not mind trying one.

That 12lb fish, what a cracker.

atb

7diaw

hello, no problem,  Auntie just use to put the pike in a bath of salty water, maybe different now it was over 50 years ago,it was said to take away muddy taste, today i would just gut and wash clean then would just cut off thin slices away from bone and cook in tin foil with lemon and herbs even a drop of white wine, have a look on google, prepping and cooking pike, oh i caught a 2llb rainbow trout today from our club lakes and i would cook that as like mentioned in tin foil with herbs, lemon, herbs, white wine, but i give most away,  cheers gordon 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

2 hours ago, Fishing Richie said:

Nice result.

I would have loved to do 6 fish in 2hrs!

I was out the other day down on a midlands river and did not get one follow on a lure after beating the stretch to a throth and had 2 aborted takes on a static deadbailt that was most likely to be small zander.

Rich

Cheers, it was fun.

Gone are the days when i used to spend hours huddled up under a bivvy using big deadbaits. It's good fun to walk the banks and flick in a rubber lure mounted on a jighead or dropshot rig. On the right day when it's overcast and low pressure the smaller pike can be easy to catch and are good sport on light gear. We are so very lucky in Norfolk in that there are loads of rivers and boatyards to fish.      

When I started pike fishing best part of 35yrs ago lure fishing in the UK was still in its infancy for mainstream anglers.

Lures were relatively expensive, generally of a small size and only a limited range available in my local tackle shops. No proper 'lure' rods were in general supply but people did use 'spinning' rods. Everyone was into bait fishing round here and the only active way of fishing practiced was sink and draw deadbait fishing, particular successfully by the late John Sidley

The advent of soft plastic lures along with the advent of the opening up of the Trout Reservoirs changed the game.

Now loads of people get out chucking lumps of plastic about including me.

I have not got into drop shotting yet but as I keep reading and as demonstrated by you in the right place its very effective.

Tight lines,

Rich