Them blackens. Noooooooo!

7daysinaweek

So this afternoon I took to a field hoping for a shot at a pigeon. After arriving at said farm and gassing with the farmer in the barn I was lucky to dodge a deluge of rain.  Shortly after venturing out of the barn I spotted a few flighty crows making into the wind way up a strip of trees adjacent to a road and appeared to be using the trees as a buffer. They then appeared to go round the back of the wood in the picture and use the wind to blow them from the tail to a wood further over on another permission. I watched a couple of sets of birds do this about 10 minutes apart.

I shoved myself in a hedge with a bitter but super wind in me face and waited at the front of the wood for when they would come flight on the tail wind.

In the first 20 minutes nothing, then two woodies about 5 feet apart travelling at approx 1 million miles per hour and at I would guesstimate a  moderate height that I have shot birds at before that I felt were out of my range because of the speed by the time I had shouldered the gun. I pulled myself further back from the wood and thought that I may benefit from seeing birds coming sooner so be ready for the mount. Another came hurtling along I picked up the bird and it was travelling so fast by the time I had swung through it coming directly towards me it was immediately above me and I actually threw myself back a little trying to speed up the swing. Blast another on it's way.

I spied a what I thought was a crow  coming in the distance through the trees and did not have long to wait a few seconds later they were coming in front of me, I stood stock still shoved right in the hedge as I did not have the hide with me and stepped out at the last second. There were two or three and they were almost motionless and looked like they were travelling a quarter of the speed of the pigeons. As soon as one saw me it gave a signature Crawhh! and I let fly, nothing, it flared away again looking slow and the second barrel did not connect either. 

Anyroads the wind continued and I had another shot at another couple that again came tantalizing me with their easiness of target and cawing as if too mock me when they drifted on by post blast!

Great to be out though.

atb

7diaw

20181207_150338.jpg

20181207_150353_opt.jpg

20181207_150416_opt.jpg

Felt like I was there, good write up and exactly like my last attempt at the Blacks. They can be very frustrating to say the least. Looking so slow that my dog could hit them, then you miss. I hate the damn things. Give me woodies any time. I had a couple hours on Monday in the wind and the woodies were so fast........I managed 2 out of 4 shots, but on a less windy day would have had at least double the amount of shots, just couldn't get the gun shouldered quick enough.

14 hours ago, Clodhopper said:

Good read, not always about the bag but the fun you have whilst out trying to make one.

Cheers ch, I agree, getting something is nice but if the day results in duff bag then so be it. I keep at it!

12 hours ago, getthegat said:

Felt like I was there, good write up and exactly like my last attempt at the Blacks. They can be very frustrating to say the least. Looking so slow that my dog could hit them, then you miss. I hate the damn things. Give me woodies any time. I had a couple hours on Monday in the wind and the woodies were so fast........I managed 2 out of 4 shots, but on a less windy day would have had at least double the amount of shots, just couldn't get the gun shouldered quick enough.

Good to hear I not  the only one that gets frazzled by the black marauders, thinking of trying out a crow call to get on them a bit more and improve.

Them woodies sounded like they were related to the ones that passed me by. 😂😂

atb

7diaw

Edited by 7daysinaweek