A few at roost.

JDog

I generally like some wind when out pigeon shooting but today it was just too windy with winds gusting up to 30 mph at the top of the Wolds. I did look and saw two lots feeding in the lee of some woods but the walk with kit would have been too far so I gave it a miss.

So home it was to a list of chores including finishing off building a new dog bed for Jasper and Barney and mucking out my office after the attentions it has received from a six month old puppy just finding his feet (as it were) after a broken leg.

Come 2:30 and I was arriving at a favourite roosting wood. My arrival coincided with finding the owner of the estate collecting wood and also a very heavy shower. The rain lasted half an hour during which time I shot at nothing. When the rain ceased the wind increased and pigeons began to arrive. These birds were skirting well above the tree tops and it didn't take long for me to realise that I could only get one shot off at each bird and also that I needed to use the tighter choked barrel. I shot eight beauties in the next half an hour before leaving quietly whilst pigeons were still coming into the wood. Those undisturbed pigeons will come in confidently another day. Crop contents included rape, Hawthorn berries and Ash keys.

thumbnail_20181208_152327_resized.jpg

Edited by JDog

1 minute ago, aga man said:

Has to be one of the finest shooting sports of all roosting pigeons. I look forward to February when a lot more of our woods and valley sides become accessible.

Very satisfying bringing the longer birds down with a tight choke.

This was where I took you once and you brought down that absolute screamer. You will know the height they were likely to be at.

4 minutes ago, JDog said:

This was where I took you once and you brought down that absolute screamer. You will know the height they were likely to be at.

Ah yes, lovely piece of woodland that. That screamer was a bit of a fluke but I remember it well. Full choke black gold 30gm no6 and a dollop of luck!

Good report of your short and I'm sure, most enjoyable session JDog. Roost shooting and flighting is the cream of sport in my opinion, especially with a good wind as there was today. I admire your restraint in leaving them to continue to come into roost.

I too was out for a couple of hours this afternoon in a favourite small wood. Not many coming in but those that did, were very testing birds, for me anyway. My first four shots didn't touch a feather, but once I gave myself a severe talking to and got the measure of their height and speed, I began to connect. I was surprised in that wind how high that they were approaching, as normally in this situation their approach is far lower and more conducive to my level of accuracy. I ended my short session with just seven well earned birds. Crops contained ivy berries, maize and very small amounts of rape.

Oh yes, plus one unlucky magpie.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

9 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

A nice report of a fine end to the day, interestingly when I laid out today's birds they all seemed to be empty.

With your persistence, determination and endurance PC, surely the pigeons don't have much time to feed. :no:

OB