357 magnum loads

Hi,

im loading some lead cast bullets 158gr with bullseye powder, in my Lee manual it states 5.9 starting and 6.5 max. This seems high to me any one loaded with bullseye powder?

Same with 158grn jacketed bullets, 6.3 start 6.8 max

Anyone loaded with bullseye powder and the same bullets

lead bullets shooting in a lever action

plated bullets in long barrel pistol

cheers

reggiegun

Hi,

I've not loaded any .357 mag, so not sure how helpful this will be.

I have loaded many .38 special with bullseye, I load my .38spl just under the starting load stated in the Lee Modern reloading book which states 3.1 gr, I load to 2.9 gr but know people at the club also using bullseye reload to 2.6 gr for .38 spl.

If you haven't had an actual .357 answer by Wednesday, I'll ask at my club what they reload .357 to with bulleye, our rifle secretary loads both .357 and .38 spl, he normally does quite light loads but we only shoot at 25 Metres.

Should add that is also with a 158 gr lead bullet

Edited by Newbie to this

The old loading for bullseye in a 357 was 7 grains before the loading manuals got sanitised. Bullseye is too fast burning a powder to give you the really high bullet velocities for long range shooting at 100 yds plus so there is no point in going above 5 or 6 grains which is a nice 'cowboy action' load at shorter ranges. Its more likely to cause leading if you go much above that with bullseye. Bullseye is not really the best powder for full magnum loads.

Carbines usually are more comfortable with a slower, less peaky, powder but if you are only making holes in paper it doesn't really matter. If you are shooting foxes with it you really need a different powder.