Return to Lough Neagh ducks - 8th December 2018

Big Al

Your videos are enjoyable to watch. Thanks for posting.

Tell me this if you would, why do the ducks come on to that particular part of the shore of the lough which must have a shore line of at least 100 miles? Presumably you don’t feed the area. 

44 minutes ago, JDog said:

Your videos are enjoyable to watch. Thanks for posting.

Tell me this if you would, why do the ducks come on to that particular part of the shore of the lough which must have a shore line of at least 100 miles? Presumably you don’t feed the area. 

You're right - it's not fed. I can only provide this speculation as to why the ducks like it.

Firstly it's remote. At least a mile from the nearest road and house. It's not over shot either - once a fortnight tops.

Secondly the bay on my left is sheltered by a bank of tall trees from the prevailing wind. Ducks can are pretty certain of a flat bit of water anywhere.

Thirdly the whole area is a peninsula - about 3/4 mile behind me is the lough again meaning it can be used as a flightline cutting the peninsula.

Whatever the reason, it's a special place.

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Thanks for posting Big Al. Great to watch and a lovely place to shoot.

OB

Thanks again OB

1 hour ago, aga man said:

Great Video Al, thanks for posting. I bet the dog slept well last night, what a warrior!

Can I ask what camera you use please?

Thanks for the comment - I use an SJ400. Nothing fancy. Not even the WiFi one!

2 hours ago, islandgun said:

Great vid thanks for posting... inspiration for getting out of a warm bed in the dark..

The blank I had a fortnight earlier had to be put right!

Even though I'm in my 50s I still have trouble sleeping before a flight. I simply love everything about it.

36 minutes ago, Big Al said:

The blank I had a fortnight earlier had to be put right!

Even though I'm in my 50s I still have trouble sleeping before a flight. I simply love everything about it.

Ah,  I have a decade on you and like to watch the moon rise, but it does make those ducks hard to see which may also explain the blanks outnumbering the successes..  

7 hours ago, Ttfjlc said:

Great video again Big Al, I watched it on my phone so I've learned when Ted is on for a long retrieve as he simply disappears off my screen. :good:

Cheers! Ted is nearly six and a half now and is starting to need more encouragement to go for the long ones. His replacement is a long way from ready so Ted will need to keep at it for a while yet!

More & more like Scorcese with a story to tell. Great video Big Al. As you already know I'm a big fan of Ted; He would swim to Ardboe & back to retrieve a bird for you,(I am assuming you are on the East shore of Neagh from your accent)? I just got a new Lab pup last week (9 weeks)  If she turns out half as good I shall be happy. Those two high ducks would have made it all worthwhile. Thanks for the entertainment. 

1 hour ago, pbutd said:

More & more like Scorcese with a story to tell. Great video Big Al. As you already know I'm a big fan of Ted; He would swim to Ardboe & back to retrieve a bird for you,(I am assuming you are on the East shore of Neagh from your accent)? I just got a new Lab pup last week (9 weeks)  If she turns out half as good I shall be happy. Those two high ducks would have made it all worthwhile. Thanks for the entertainment. 

My pleasure Sir!

Yes - i shoot the eastern shore and the southern shore. My accent may give me away but I'm a Mourne man by heritage. 

Good luck with the pup. I hope you have more success than I'm having with Ted's successor!

Edited by Big Al

A very good watch indeed, that place has plenty of atmosphere, although the wind in the mike made it sound like an unfriendly atmosphere. 

There still seems a fair supply of ducks there and I assume it doesn't get overshot.

Definitely looking forward to the next one, duck or pheasants.

Sorry to be late on parade, but we are off on our travels and finally got somewhere the wifi signal is strong enough to watch the video. Temps is 25C and its blue sky and sun, so its not all bad. 

Edited by Cranfield

3 hours ago, Cranfield said:

A very good watch indeed, that place has plenty of atmosphere, although the wind in the mike made it sound like an unfriendly atmosphere. 

There still seems a fair supply of ducks there and I assume it doesn't get overshot.

Definitely looking forward to the next one, duck or pheasants.

Sorry to be late on parade, but we are off on our travels and finally got somewhere the wifi signal is strong enough to watch the video. Temps is 25C and its blue sky and sun, so its not all bad. 

Good for you - it must be good to get some heat in the bones!

Thanks for your kind words again Cranfield - I had my best day of the year at pheasants during storm Deirdre on Saturday but the rain was so bad I didn't take the camera out! **** law. All 3 coats drenched and still drying but a very happy boy coming home. Sadly no footage though so you'll have to take my word for it!

17 hours ago, greylag said:

Another great watch,really look forward to your vids.Ted seems to enjoy himself as much as you do and I am sure his successor will come on leaps and bounds,plenty of time,and no need to rush.

Many thanks greylag - I'll hopefully get out this weekend again. Hopefully it'll be dry enough to take the camera this time!