Untrained terrier

dipper

When I’ve been shooting I bring home some birds for my mate.Problem is his dog is untrained starts sniffing the tyres then jumps up at the boot .then if car doors a open it will be in there.Is there something like IE pepper I could spray around the car that would help.

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Well it sounds like you have met your match with this one, terriers let you think you have trained them until they decide otherwise.

😂 There speaks a man who knows! Mine was trained...eventually, but did suffer from selective hearing. How I miss her. 😢

All dogs can be trained to a point....their point!!   I had a retired farmer who did a bit of keepering for us and he had a rough haired longish legged Jack Russell...those who are old enough to know him...his name was Whisky. That dog was astonishing in that he would kill rats with glee and then retrieve a huge cock pheasant without so much as a mark, held by the root of the wing.  Work hedgerows like a spaniel.

His owner would put one front foot through his collar to slow him down if he got too busy. He said that is how they ran their sheep dog puppies early on in their training.

I'm told they are not too different to children.

Terriers are still dogs and can be taught obedience, but it’s not your dog, so not for you to train.  If the owner isn’t bothered by its behaviour then there is little you can do other than show your displeasure that his mutt is jumping uninvited into your car.  I personally wouldn’t give the dog the opportunity to jump in my car, it is simply self rewarding bad behaviour.  In the same way you can’t tell another person’s child off, you can’t discipline somebody else’s dog.  

11 hours ago, Mochastorm said:

Terriers are still dogs and can be taught obedience, but it’s not your dog, so not for you to train.  If the owner isn’t bothered by its behaviour then there is little you can do other than show your displeasure that his mutt is jumping uninvited into your car.  I personally wouldn’t give the dog the opportunity to jump in my car, it is simply self rewarding bad behaviour.  In the same way you can’t tell another person’s child off, you can’t discipline somebody else’s dog.  

Don’t believe that for a minute. 

Normally you tell the owner first “either you sort them out or I will...” 

My Border terrier had a mind of his own but never once did he bother anyone else. 

As for not telling someone that their dog is being a nuisance, be polite but firm. Shooting in Berkshire a few years ago two black Labradors belonging to a picker up came up to me and my dog during the first two drives and made nuisances of themselves. My dog was on a lead next to my peg. I calmly walked up to the picker up after the second drive was over and told him that if his dogs came anywhere near mine for the rest of the day I would shoot them.

Edited by JDog

3 hours ago, JDog said:

My Border terrier had a mind of his own but never once did he bother anyone else. 

As for not telling someone that their dog is being a nuisance, be polite but firm. Shooting in Berkshire a few years ago two black Labradors belonging to a picker up came up to me and my dog during the first two drives and made nuisances of themselves. My dog was on a lead next to my peg. I calmly walked up to the picker up after the second drive was over and told him that if his dogs came anywhere near mine for the rest of the day I would shoot them.

I assume you mean by nuisance that they were trying to attack your dog? 

We had the bloody keeper on one shoot near Cardiff who seemed to think it was funny that his two lab bitches would run around like that, he seemed to think it was great that his dogs were ‘top dog’. 

He wasn’t to impressed when I whacked his dog across the head with my stick when it come over having a go at my young lab. I had to tell him if he can’t keep them under control then it’s his own fault! 

33 minutes ago, B725 said:

A bit drastic JD I assumed it worked though, it's a shame that the dog's on the shoot aren't under control I would not take mine if I couldn't control him 

I think either the keeper or the shoot owners are afraid of having that awkward conversation with people. Telling them to either put in some training or leave the dog at home. 

12 minutes ago, B725 said:

It's a shame that they don't get told as it spoils other people's day. I guess that some dog owners don't give a stuff thinking their Fido is just playing about 

How's the new dog coming on

Kennel blind, their dog can run around all day out of control flushing the wrong birds and causing mayhem, but if he makes one good retrieve or flush they’ll be down the pub later telling everyone what an amazing worker he is 😂

pups coming on ok, have resisted temptation to take him on any shoot so far. Just going over the basics again and again. He was 7 months at the end of last week :) 

My Border was never trained; but she would stop to the whistle and return to the whistle, but I always got the impression it was only if there was nothing else she would rather be doing.

She would work hedgerows brilliantly, was a ****** for pegging birds, and would return all manner of creatures including geese from the river, and clays which we'd missed. She was one of the team whether beating or shooting, and would run herself ragged; first into the duck pond and last out, and I ignored her tail at my peril. She was in demand for ratting, which she loved, and would chase hare and roe and despite never catching either was the eternal optimist. She is often talked about fondly by my mates who knew her, and we will more often than not end up laughing out loud and in turn shaking our heads in wonder at some of her exploits, and I cried like a baby when she died. My only consolation is that she lived a life meant for terriers. It's over two years since she died and I still miss her and she is still on my daughters iPhone screen. I'd dearly love another but I fear I'd forever be comparing it to her. 

My past terriers two Paterdales and a JR, would come back when i whistled and not attack sheep but they would not recall if they were down a rabbit hole or chasing a rat or mink. my last remaining paterdale appears to be deaf from being to close to a 10 bore a few times, but is able to hear a piece of chicken breast hit the ground at 30 yds, given an order now, he looks around for better alternatives before complying, in his own time ...perhaps 

dscf0594ok.jpg.277236c863961c51230e336746804a76.jpg

Edited by islandgun

2 hours ago, Adrian Armsby said:

It's not the dog that's the problem, it's the clowns that own em

been on a shoot where the owner of a brand new range rover opened the top tailgate and another guns Labrador jumped up clawed the paint on the tailgate ran around the cream leather interior and shook himself after being in a muddy brook said gun smiled my dog gets everywhere   at the next shoot very depressed as he got a bill for respraying tailgate a new headliner and some of the leather resprayed as they could not get the staining out now the dog is on a lead an expensive lesson on obedience