Winchester Blue Light

Spotted one of these this morning at Rishton. I have shot thousands and thousands of Winchester shells in the 1980s - Trap 100, Trap 200 and Winner, but do not recollect seeing a single one of these. Blue compression formed case - 28grm light load 7 1/2. Eddie Threlfall - the Club's owner said he had found half a dozen in his store of shells.

IMG_20181209_140058.jpg

IMG_20181209_140125.jpg

I have loaded Win AA,s  Remington RXP, and Remington Peters Blue magic sine the 1970,s....I  saw the end coming for the compression cases, and so I stockpiled several thousand empties, from my visits to the American bases in the 80,s! Winchester then had Winners made in Italy, which had a good plastic case, but a poor fitting "brass" head. They eventually faded out, probably a cost issue. Remington decided not to go down that road.......I also bought up 2,500  early 70,s  Win AA,s  Trap & Skeet, from my local shop, and still have most of them. A few days ago, I opened a box where I had stored the Blue Magic empties, approx 30 years ago, and loaded 100. They sailed through my P/W 900, perfect 8 star crimps!  I hope to shoot them this coming weekend.  The only European cartridge that comes near them, on quality of construction, is Victory. 

Edited by pinfireman
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine always shot Winchester Blue Lights , bought a new Remington 1100 when Hull Cartridge were the importers .

He had nothing but trouble with the Remington breaking , so Hull asked him to send it back with a box of the cartridges he regularly used.

Gun was repaired and came back with a cartridge test report showing the cartridges were over pressured , horrendously high . Lucky he still has his fingers .

Changed cartridge brand  ( Eley) and Remington behaved , in fact he still uses it.

I used to love Winners 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest cookoff013

Modern shells are manufactured to a standard where they have been economised. Plastic gets less and less dense, less polymer is a massive saving over 10s of million shells. They are not good to re-load. Barely surviving the first loading.

I bought a joblot of hulls. The older ones are tough. New, not so good.