Digital Key Pad Gunsafe

johnnytheboy

Munglers mother's small safe was prised open a few years ago. I went to my own digital safe and looked at the mechanism. The locking lugs looked great until you realised they were held by wafer thin metal. A screwdriver would have made short work.

A visit to YouTube shocked me - opening them with a potato. I tried it - way too easy.

Have a look at these: https://www.safe.co.uk/products/burg-wachter-s1e-5-gun-safe.html (they do a 7 too)

Definitely more substantial than the Brattonsound (twice the weight for starters).

When looking for code operated safes, well worth checking that they don’t have a key override (some cheap ones do, with rubbish locks!) The one linked to does not and used to be rated £2k cash, £20k valuables by insurers. Not sure if they still are, but gives confidence that it’s not garbage. 

On 09/12/2018 at 21:25, SxS said:

Have a look at these: https://www.safe.co.uk/products/burg-wachter-s1e-5-gun-safe.html (they do a 7 too)

Definitely more substantial than the Brattonsound (twice the weight for starters).

When looking for code operated safes, well worth checking that they don’t have a key override (some cheap ones do, with rubbish locks!) The one linked to does not and used to be rated £2k cash, £20k valuables by insurers. Not sure if they still are, but gives confidence that it’s not garbage. 

Silly question but how do you get it open if the electronic mechanism fails? 

1 hour ago, HW95J said:

There will be a key that comes with it for using if this happens. 

The ones I have seen - I wasn't impressed with the key lock.  It was some years ago and the advice then was that the lock(s) should conform with BS 3621.  On the safe I was looking at the vendor was not able to supply any approval data, but pointed out that the lock was for emergency use only!  It seemed to me that if the lock could open the door (as indeed it could) then it should meet the specification.  The key locked safe I ended up with has BS approved locks.

There are a whole pile of requirements in Home Office Firearms Security Handbook - but each FEO seems to have their own interpretation.  It would be wise to check with your FEO if there is no BS 7558 approval.  Most UK ones (like Brattonsound) are BS 7558 approved.

Cabinets should be to BS 7558 or as per the  Home Office Firearms Security Handbook 2005 (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/117636/firearms-security-handbook.pdf) Annex A.  I looked at this and it states if not to BS 7558 that they should (among a lot of other guidance and requirements) be secured by;

• locks to BS3621 or 7 lever safe locks with not less than 38mm x 9mm cross section steel bolts; or
  • locks in the approved list under HELA Tech Doc 26/5; or
  • padlocks not less than CEN 4. Close shackle padlocks should be selected on open ring or plate staples.

Stay away from Buffalo River!! I have one, every winter the locking mechanism fails and I have to take the digipad off, unscrew the base plate and use key like a normal safe. There is no Buffalo River tech or after sales support in the country and only one sole importer. Only help I got was off importer who tried scrwing me for another £100 and tried to convince me the new fitting was bigger than old and I'd have to dill an even bigger hole in safe door to fit it....er no thanks!!

1 hour ago, Scully said:

😂 You couldn't make this up! I have to ask....where do you hide the key for the key safe? I'm sure someone somewhere will be making key safe key safes! 

Yes,  I just stick to keys for this reason.  As convenient as a keypad seems at first, there's plenty more that can go wrong. 

On 09/12/2018 at 17:44, JohnfromUK said:

These are expensive, but were used by the Government for years and very tough.  You will not open one of these with a potato.

http://www.modlimited.co.uk/buy/product_info.php?cPath=150_152&products_id=16009&osCsid=jgb4epomr0jefeo7o5ls9loa93

These are reconditioned.

I am familiar with these Manifoil cabinets from my RAF days. The cabinets and safes of various sizes were used to store secret classified documents. The opening code could never be guessed and is changeable to your personal setting.

Vic.

Edited by VicW

37 minutes ago, VicW said:

I am familiar with these Manifoil cabinets from my RAF days. The cabinets and safes of various sizes were used to store secret classified documents. The opening code could never be guessed and is changeable to your personal setting.

Vic.

Very good locks.

I recall many a night wasted wandering round the station checking the locks were still locked.

6 hours ago, HW95J said:

There will be a key that comes with it for using if this happens. 

Not on all of them.  At least, if there was one on the one I linked to there was no reference to it in the instructions or any obvious place it could be. Suspect it would have been safe/locksmith callout to get in. 

On 09/12/2018 at 15:45, johnnytheboy said:

Looking for recommendations of a solid built gunsafe with digital opening, getting ****** off carrying this key about all the time. 

I currently have a Brattonsound sentenial plus cabinet and it’s bombproof, I’d be looking for something as sturdy, maybe with inner ammo safe 

Why not just hide the key?