Notice from Police I didn't stop at an accident

CZ550Kevlar

Much to my shock on Saturday morning I got a letter from Kent police asking for the indentity of the drive of my car as it was involved in an accident and failed to stop and also careless driving?

the registration is mine and I was there at the roundabout at that time but I wasn't involved in any accident and there is no damage to my car? What am I meant to do? they are threatening points for not stopping and for dangerous driving yet I know I hit nobody.

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Have they sent you a Notice of Impending Prosecution?

Do you have any dash cam footage from that time that would show you were not involved.

Sounds like someone is trying to make some money out of you.

Paperwork is saying alleged to have been involved at a certain time and location, 28 days to identify the driver then a blank lined page to write my account down I guess.

My other half last year witnessed and a nasty head on accident involving the car in front of her.  Due to the fact it was on a corner she drove round it and blocked the road and went back to help. While there some impatient individual squeezed past hitting her car and drove off. That was witnessed and the police were naff all use, they sent him a similar letter and let us have his details and that was it.  He denied it and we were given the option of passing it to our insurers to pursue.  As it was minor we didn’t bother, the main thing in this case is find out what is being alleged as it’s most likely the other parties insurers will be in touch shortly

As stated ring the police and find out the alleged allegation

if you have no damage to your vehicle, invite the traffic officer to your home to view your car and obtain an account. 

It is only an allegation, chances are someone saw your reg and confused it with the vehicles involved 

On 09/12/2018 at 16:46, CZ550Kevlar said:

Much to my shock on Saturday morning I got a letter from Kent police asking for the indentity of the drive of my car as it was involved in an accident and failed to stop and also careless driving?

the registration is mine and I was there at the roundabout at that time but I wasn't involved in any accident and there is no damage to my car? What am I meant to do? they are threatening points for not stopping and for dangerous driving yet I know I hit nobody.

Talk to a solicitor.  Ask police for any and all evidence of an incident. Often this is a fishing expedition or people trying a scam.

There may well be a scam going on. My mother in law has just had an identical experience - although it's just her insurance co involved so far, not the police. She has asked for more info. She was in the stated place on the stated day, but is adamant that there was no accident of any sort, and her car shows no sign of any collision. If you do an internet search, you will find many more cases, which invariably turn out to be false. One theory is that the scammers are trying to rely on insurance companies settling small claims without further investigation. 

23 hours ago, andrewluke said:

i thought CAB was totally free??

Kinda...

18 hours ago, Jaymo said:

CAB is a free service and although advice is given- they are not legally trained and will often consult from one of many ‘folders’.

However a lot of Solicitors do offer an initial consultation for free.

Basically that, last time I was there the solicitor gave me 30 minutes FOC and that was sufficient

I can’t see this being an attempt at a scam, otherwise the police would not be informed.  I could be wrong but it would be damage only and left to the insurance company do deal with one another.

unless it’s a serious collision they would not be arrested. Maybe interviewed under caution and reported for summons if there was an offence. Not looking at prison time put it that way

If it was reported to the police, and you were 'involved' why have the police not visited you?

I supposedly reversed into a car a few months ago - woman was sat in the car the whole time and never once got out or made me aware of anything... I did what I was there to do then drove off heading home. First I knew to anything was 10 days to a fortnight later, 2 officers at my door wanting a statement.

There should be an officer badge number and name in the letter of the officer dealing with this, an incidence reference number and a phone number to contact him/her. Contact them and see what the **** is going on.

Edited by Harry Callahan
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...