Notice from Police I didn't stop at an accident

CZ550Kevlar

2 hours ago, Munzy said:

So you gave them the details confirming it was you without actually speaking to an officer? I hope this doesn’t cause you issues.

The OP came on, asked for advice and followed one piece. This is the internet. Any advice offered regarding a legal matter should simply contain one word - solicitor.

3 hours ago, Munzy said:

So you gave them the details confirming it was you without actually speaking to an officer? I hope this doesn’t cause you issues.

It sounds like a standard sec 172 notice. He would have had issues if he didn't complete it. As for speaking to an officer, the officer will be in touch if he needs to speak about it and would simply advise the form to be filled in and returned. 

If there was an insurance claim they would have been in touch by now. 

This happens daily. Is nothing new. The police arent on anyone's side. 

9 hours ago, GingerCat said:

It sounds like a standard sec 172 notice. He would have had issues if he didn't complete it. As for speaking to an officer, the officer will be in touch if he needs to speak about it and would simply advise the form to be filled in and returned. 

If there was an insurance claim they would have been in touch by now. 

This happens daily. Is nothing new. The police arent on anyone's side. 

Sounds like a S172 to me too but I would’ve prioritised gaining an understanding of exactly what crime has been committed before providing evidence incriminating me. The OP could have spoken to the local police station and asked to come in to discuss the claimed accident and provide the information on the form under caution. The only purpose of S172 is to comply with PACE and you would also comply by attending an interview with your solicitor and providing the details verbally.

As for the police not being on anyone’s side... I would say more accurately the police “shouldn’t” be on anyone’s side. To think they are impartial, unbiased or without agenda is incredibly naive and I would advise a read of The Secret Barrister, an interesting and eye-opening commentary of legal process.

As for the police not being on anyone’s side... I would say more accurately the police “shouldn’t” be on anyone’s side. To think they are impartial, unbiased or without agenda is incredibly naive and I would advise a read of The Secret Barrister, an interesting and eye-opening commentary of legal process.

A sweeping statement - not really accurate either. There are good and bad in all walks of society, but to pan the Police en bloc is silly. I presume Secret Barrister has used a polygraph on each and every person in the Police. Then again - they won't have done.

3 hours ago, Munzy said:

Sounds like a S172 to me too but I would’ve prioritised gaining an understanding of exactly what crime has been committed before providing evidence incriminating me. The OP could have spoken to the local police station and asked to come in to discuss the claimed accident and provide the information on the form under caution. The only purpose of S172 is to comply with PACE and you would also comply by attending an interview with your solicitor and providing the details verbally.

It's not Pace it's the Road traffic act as amended. It was introduced to compel registered keepers of vehicles to tell the police who was using a car at a given time. Failure to do so is an offence. It is not in any way incriminating and is not an admission of guilt. If the police want to discuss it further they will do. Before they have any conversation about any offence they want to know who the driver of the vehicle was. If it wasn't you why would you go for the station and waste your time? If it was you I'd suggest correctly filling in the form and complying with the legislation. 

On 31/12/2018 at 02:04, GingerCat said:

It's not Pace it's the Road traffic act as amended. It was introduced to compel registered keepers of vehicles to tell the police who was using a car at a given time. Failure to do so is an offence. It is not in any way incriminating and is not an admission of guilt. If the police want to discuss it further they will do. Before they have any conversation about any offence they want to know who the driver of the vehicle was. If it wasn't you why would you go for the station and waste your time? If it was you I'd suggest correctly filling in the form and complying with the legislation. 

Any S172 notice I’ve seen has an offence marked on it (eg. Exceeding 70mph on M42) along with an exact location, date and time. Therefore, if the form the OP received stated an offence of “Dangerous Driving” or something similar I would not be stating that I was driving at the time and would want a proper conversation with the investigating officer in the presence of a solicitor.

Anyway, that’s just what I’d do. Hope all goes well for the OP.

Thankyou for all your positive comments.

I filled in the driver section and attached was another form saying if you had mitigating circumstances etc.

i put on there to the best of my recollection I was driving my car in the area around that time of the alleged incident but I had not been involved in any collision and there is no damage to my car and if they want to have a look at it they are more than welcome.

1 hour ago, Munzy said:

Any S172 notice I’ve seen has an offence marked on it (eg. Exceeding 70mph on M42) along with an exact location, date and time. Therefore, if the form the OP received stated an offence of “Dangerous Driving” or something similar I would not be stating that I was driving at the time and would want a proper conversation with the investigating officer in the presence of a solicitor.

Anyway, that’s just what I’d do. Hope all goes well for the OP.

Each to their own. Before you do that I'd recommend taking legal advice as you still need to comply with the notice  or that's another offence and you'd put yourself in an interview on the spot and possibly without as much disclosure as you'd like as no conversation would take place outside of the interview (with you at least) pace 1984 prevents it ( code c). 

I hope the OP has resolved it without issue. There are a number of scams (already mentioned) when people effectively pick someone (normally in a car park) to pay for a fictitious accident. 

• 1 month later...

UPDATE - After a month of waiting thought I would chase up the caseworker at Kent Police and within 5 minutes got a reply saying attached is copy of the letter she is sending out today.....

And the letter says that no further action is being taken by Kent Police in regards to this matter.

Thankyou for all your support PW community.