Bruised pigeon breast

Mason4796

Hi all 

looking for a quick bit of advice. I’m new to this whole field to fork thing. I have been told that you shouldn’t eat damaged/bruised meat and to cut away any bits you can. 

I shot a couple of pigeons yesterday but hit them square on so the breasts have multiple shot wounds. If I were to remove the bruised parts there would be nothing left. 

Can anyone tell me whether it’s ok to eat or what I should do?

thanks in advance!

Edited by Mason4796

2 minutes ago, Pistol p said:

You got shot it with shotgun mate. How damaged don't you want your pigeons. 

Huh? Not sure I follow. I’m not bothered but I just saw a few posts about removing the wounds/ bruised parts so just wondering if there is a reason for it or the whole thing is good to eat?

Bread it, clean any bits you don't likebthr look of under the tap and dry with kitchen roll. I bet it's all pretty good still. If very close then as jdog says probablyvbest feeding th dog/cat with it (mine go mental for it). 

Personally little goes to waste round here and what I wouldn't pan fry or turn into a pie goes into the minded with 40% pork belly and turned into sausages or burgers. 

Edited to add they look perfectly edible to me.

Edited by GingerCat

1 hour ago, Pistol p said:

You got shot it with shotgun mate. How damaged don't you want your pigeons. 

There is damage and a lot of damage , like most of the pigeon shooters on the forum I have shot close pigeons with barely a mark on them and ones at a good distance that were hit with a fair bit of the pattern , the ops pigeon breasts look perfectly edible to me .

Yesterday I had a Mallard for my tea and you couldn't see a mark on the plucked body , I know it was shot because my dog picked it up from the gun who shot it , I told the chap who hang the game up to put it at the back of the larder as this would be half of my brace when the day was finished , I made sure I was one of the first ones back to pick myself a brace before the team of guns got back , the older you get the wiser you get :yes:

To be honest, I'd just cut the shot channels out with a bit to spare.

If your planning on eating a fair amount of game - which i'm guessing you are by the sound of it - then its going to be best if you do all you can to minimise your contact with lead.

Wood Pigion is delicious - and I dont like to see food go to waste - but theres no point in placing yourself in the way of harm.

25 minutes ago, kenholland said:

iv'e eaten worse than that as long as it is fresh on the day , no blow fly eggs in the summer you will survive , still under estimated , people don't know what they are missing , so versatile , as a meat.

I have been told you can just clear off eggs from a shot bird and they are still good to eat. Is that the case or should they be thrown away?

• 1 month later...

If it's pulverised, cut the bad bit off, use the rest. Fly eggs are unavoidable in summer. Crown them, wash em and fillet them, that will get rid of them. They are generally on the outside anyhow.

lead is only a danger when it is ingested in small fragments, regularly. An odd bit of shot won't do any harm, it will just past straight through you. You are probably exposed to more lead in your tap water as some where in the supply line there still will be odd bits of lead pipe left in the system

In a nutshell, get it down you, it won't kill ya!