Boot recommendations

eddoakley

As I said on a previous thread, Due to recent ankle surgery, I use a pair of Cabelas 8 inch high (for ankle support) goretex boots, in nubuck leather, as everyday town and country wear.....they are light, soft, comfortable ( like shoes!) and waterproof, I have also used them this season for several types of shooting including a bit of walked up Grouse! They are undoubtedly the best all purpose boots I have ever owned! ......but....Cabelas will no longer send stuff to the UK (this model is no longer available anyway!) and I can find nothing similar, available in the U.K........So I have purchased a pair of Rocky Outback goretex boots of a similar spec from the US, they are in transit as I write! If they are as good as the Cabelas ones.........I will be well pleased?

I may well list a couple of pairs of my quality shoes for sale on here as, for the above reason.......I can no longer wear them!

On 09/12/2018 at 19:50, eddoakley said:

Mid height, every day, walking, shooting, working boots? What can you guys recommend 

Looking at meindl but not 100% convinced.

Not too bothered about price if they are worth it. Would rather buy quality and buy once.

Prefer leather.

What do you use?

Edd

Since I bought my first pair of meindl boots years ago I havent bought anything else, actually thats a lie, I bought some le chameau condors which were a complete waste of £280, the eyelets rust, they leaked from the get go and are uncomfortable...

I've got 4 pairs of meindl my favourite being my Antarktis I got a couple years back, but my first pair of Bhutans are still going strong (I wear them every day), fit like socks, never leak and I can go all day in total comfort.

and the next boots I buy will be.....Meindl!

Edited by thepasty

Worn Altbergs for the last 20 years for work, and there good boots, but not waterproof, unless you pay the high end for the sympatex lined ones. However, I got a pair of Haix and Karrimor SF boots off evilbay, £40 pair and cannot complain, ive worn them in allsorts of weather, sometimes with gaiters, but mainly on there own and never had a wet foot. There are some bargains out there and you dont have to pay a fortune for them.

On 17/12/2018 at 17:27, thepasty said:

Since I bought my first pair of meindl boots years ago I havent bought anything else, actually thats a lie, I bought some le chameau condors which were a complete waste of £280, the eyelets rust, they leaked from the get go and are uncomfortable...

I've got 4 pairs of meindl my favourite being my Antarktis I got a couple years back, but my first pair of Bhutans are still going strong (I wear them every day), fit like socks, never leak and I can go all day in total comfort.

and the next boots I buy will be.....Meindl!

Totally agree. On my second pair of Meindl Antarktis. Bought the first about 17 years ago. They have been sadly neglected, but are still watertight and refuse to die.

On 17/12/2018 at 17:06, Harry Callahan said:

On the basis of this thread I've just sourced a pair of Altbergs from an army surplus store. £40, supposed to have been worn once. Delivery expected to be on Wednesday...

If they are any good, I'll try and find another pair for similar money 👍

The Altbergs came today. Don't look like they've had much wear, but a lot more scuffed than I was expecting (you'd think someone had been crawling around on rough concrete in them)

Lots of elbow grease, a good feeding of Dubbin and boot polish they look good as new now 👍

I was going to wear these for work but since ordering I've learned they are not GoreTex lined. Will keep these for shooting, walking, game fayres etc and I've seen my current work boots (Highlander Elite - look very similar to the Altbergs) for sale at half price so might buy another pair of them and just pretend I've got the Altbergs for 'free'

3 hours ago, Scully said:

No, they don’t use ‘goretex’. Those which have a waterproof lining are lined with ‘sympatex’, which is just as good as goretex. If there is no little tag bearing that name near the top of the boot, then they’re not rated as waterproof. 

Yes. Sympatex is just their version of GoreTex...

It's the Altberg Defender boots I've bought, and they don't have the lining (didn't realise this til after I ordered them).

The amount of Dubbin I worked into them last night, they'll be pretty waterproof currently though 😂

Lots of us don’t like gore tex or lined boot they are a pain to dry out a leather boot properly proofed it just as good and can be driered easier especially if you living outdoors.  

My non gore tex boots have keep my feet as dry as I can expect.  However in my old job often found it wouldn’t matter what boots you wore as there was always something you had to wade through to at least knee deep even unicorn skin boots would have let in water. 

4 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Lots of us don’t like gore tex or lined boot they are a pain to dry out a leather boot properly proofed it just as good and can be driered easier especially if you living outdoors.  

My non gore tex boots have keep my feet as dry as I can expect.  However in my old job often found it wouldn’t matter what boots you wore as there was always something you had to wade through to at least knee deep even unicorn skin boots would have let in water. 

Surely waders would have been cheaper than unicorn skin? 😂