Does no one want a garden anymore?

Scully

7 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Yes I know mate but people like ya aren't in the majority, the majority are the ones ******* away £100 every Friday and Saturday then complaining how it's unfair society and they aren't paid enough. 

Plus these days you'd be lucky to buy a flat in this area for that £20k in the bank as a down payment. 

I worked the days I wasnt studying, so was doing a 7 day week, mix of college/uni then working as a chef, I made the choice to do this so I could buy a property. Others expect it on a plate. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Yes I know mate but people like ya aren't in the majority, the majority are the ones ******* away £100 every Friday and Saturday then complaining how it's unfair society and they aren't paid enough. 

Plus these days you'd be lucky to buy a flat in this area for that £20k in the bank as a down payment. 

You can buy a 3 bed terraced house in South Wales for £75 K, decent quality houses and decent (if poor) areas. I was brought up to believe a roof over your head that you own freehold is the only real security you can have in life. However humble

Edited by Vince Green

10 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

You can buy a 3 bed terraced house in South Wales for £75 K, decent quality houses and decent (if poor) areas. I was brought up to believe a roof over your head that you own freehold is the only real security you can have in life. However humble

You can indeed Vince but it depends what you do for a living and many other factors.

As we know when they closed a lot of the industry in the valleys many people with great skill up and left, engineers, mining men, many people with years of skill an experience left if they could as the unemployment was so high. 

Similar to today, there isn't a lot of work in those areas hence that's why they tend to have much cheaper house prices. It's alright having a cheap house but not much fun if you can't get decent employment in that area. 

11 hours ago, Scully said:

I grew up in a modest semi detached with an average sized garden which my parents ( primarily my Dad ) constantly cultivated so we had a goodly supply of in season food, and almost every house in my small home town does indeed have a garden. The allotments fell into disrepair decades ago, and a housing development I remember being built in the late 1960's early 1970's have small but useable gardens.

A developer has built five houses and is in the process of building another five ( can't do it altogether as that would mean building affordable ones....no profit in that! ) and none have gardens. Each has a small drive for a car and a small patch of grass at the rear. The same developer has just completed four, four bedroomed houses with garages, squeezed onto a very small former field with admittedly great views and a small parking space and a tiny triangular piece of grass at the rear. These houses are in excess of 400k each, there is what appears to be less than two metres space between each one and there are no gardens. I just don't get it. 

A recent and ongoing development of over 100 houses in my home town has houses of every size and shape, but no gardens. Why?

Simples, no gardens more houses, more profit. All aided by the local council as more tax raised to waste.

13 hours ago, Scully said:

I grew up in a modest semi detached with an average sized garden which my parents ( primarily my Dad ) constantly cultivated so we had a goodly supply of in season food, and almost every house in my small home town does indeed have a garden. The allotments fell into disrepair decades ago, and a housing development I remember being built in the late 1960's early 1970's have small but useable gardens.

<snipped>

...but no gardens. Why?

I grew up in a one bedroomed terraced back-to-back flat, the 10x3 garden at the front was concreted over and the back was concrete because it was made like that and they were made like that because of economics back then (probably between the wars or even pre WW1).

Now it is both economics for the builder and also the buyer, they need several jobs to pay for the mortgage so cutting grass, tending borders is less of a necessity. For me the bigger the garden the better.

Labour brought in minimum housing densities for developments because how shall we put it, we're getting a bit crowded for one reason or another, 30 houses per acre I believe. So in one respect, you can't buy a (new) house with any garden. Garden grabbing (remember that phrase?) is still alive and well, certainly around where I live as gardens are hived off and mature properties knocked down and more put up on the plot which has a generally negative effect on the area. I'm also not sure it's always a case of not wanting gardens but the size of the house that takes priority. All good reasons for ending uncontrolled immigration in my opinion.

Edited by yod dropper

35 minutes ago, yod dropper said:

Labour brought in minimum housing densities for developments because how shall we put it, we're getting a bit crowded for one reason or another, 30 houses per acre I believe. So in one respect, you can't buy a (new) house with any garden. Garden grabbing (remember that phrase?) is still alive and well, certainly around where I live as gardens are hived off and mature properties knocked down and more put up on the plot which has a generally negative effect on the area. I'm also not sure it's always a case of not wanting gardens but the size of the house that takes priority. All good reasons for ending uncontrolled immigration in my opinion.

Testicles, from the 2011 census, of the 63+Million in the uk 55+million of us are white british 87%!

7 minutes ago, henry d said:

Testicles, from the 2011 census, of the 63+Million in the uk 55+million of us are white british 87%!

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Housing density has nothing to do with ethnicity yet somehow you choose to link it. Could you explain please?

Edited by yod dropper

From gardens to immigrants 😂 just to balance things out I went and trebled the size of my garden by buying a patch off an old girl, come to think of it I also contributed fousands to the local economy by having to pay tradesmen to clear the place, turf and plant it and don't forget the fencing, works both ways. 

Edited by Hamster

15 minutes ago, henry d said:

In 1971 the UK pop was 56 million
In 1991 it was                    57.4 m
In 2001 it wa                         59 m

From them to now we had EU and non EU migration go through the roof.

The official figures are now 67 million.
This by no means addresses the possibly 5-600,000 extra unregistered migrants/illegals.
Or the completely unknown amount of transitory EU migrants.

Please dont say that migration hasnt affected housing , services and healthcare.
Blame the government(s) if you like , but to deny the problem is ridiculously naive.

3 hours ago, yod dropper said:

Rubbish. There are density objectives against the code levels set but its not for houses per HA. 

21 hours ago, yod dropper said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Housing density has nothing to do with ethnicity yet somehow you choose to link it. Could you explain please?

You linked the lack of good housing density to uncontrolled immigration where in truth it is the indigenous population of the UK that has overpopulated it

You linked the lack of good housing density to uncontrolled immigration where in truth it is the indigenous population of the UK that has overpopulated it

Yes I have. The rate of population growth has gone up by a multiple of several times, just see Rewulf's figures which show a correlation between the population and the mass immigration that begun near the start of Labour's tenure. Net immigration has been running at over a quarter million for many years. This equates to over 120,000 new homes needed every one of those years to house the immigrants which I think is about half the housing stock we need to build. Changing demographics is of course another factor but this is not the same as indigenous population growth.

From the Labour supporting Guardian on John Prescott, "raised the minimum density of new estates from 25 to 30 houses per hectare". 

We (the UK) grew from 5.2 to 14.9 M in just 140 years (1701-1841) By 1900 the population of London was 4.5 M alone and we had gone from 15% (mid 18th C) to 85% of the population living in cities (1900).

We are the ones who overpopulated this country.

What have those figures got to do with anything ?
You had virtual ignorance of the causes or spread of disease in the early 18 th century, no industrial revolution and infant mortality of 70+ %.

Advances in medicine and surgery, better diet and a basic understanding of diseases , gave people longer lives and a better chance of survival if ill or injured, infant mortality was down to 10 % by 1900, and average life span had gone up by 50 % in 200 years.
To say we overpopulated the country is complete rubbish, we strived to survive.

Did we have a housing shortage in the mid 20 th century ? No.
Do we have one now ? You bet we we do.
Is it down to uncontrolled immigration in the last 20 years ? It certainly hasnt helped has it ?
Why cant you just say it ? 
Blame it on the tories for not building, blame it on labour for not seeing the looming problem.
Blame it on whatever you like , but dont try and pretend that an extra 250,000+ migrants coming to this country every year isnt part of the problem.

PS Your 87% white British stat is completely false, its 87% British born.

9 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

What have those figures got to do with anything ?
You had virtual ignorance of the causes or spread of disease in the early 18 th century, no industrial revolution and infant mortality of 70+ %.

Advances in medicine and surgery, better diet and a basic understanding of diseases , gave people longer lives and a better chance of survival if ill or injured, infant mortality was down to 10 % by 1900, and average life span had gone up by 50 % in 200 years.
To say we overpopulated the country is complete rubbish, we strived to survive.

Did we have a housing shortage in the mid 20 th century ? No.
Do we have one now ? You bet we we do.
Is it down to uncontrolled immigration in the last 20 years ? It certainly hasnt helped has it ?
Why cant you just say it ? 
Blame it on the tories for not building, blame it on labour for not seeing the looming problem.
Blame it on whatever you like , but dont try and pretend that an extra 250,000+ migrants coming to this country every year isnt part of the problem.

PS Your 87% white British stat is completely false, its 87% British born.

Oh dear!

When we first moved into our place a number of years ago  we went for a property with a garden that was low maintenance, it was great we just trimmed the bushes once a year, we were young. Roll on 7 years and  now with a small child I would love to have a big bit of grass for him to run around on like I did at his age. However for a half decent three bed property with a bit of garden knocking on 400k it’s a bit of a way off for us unfortunately. 

I'm not sure how true it is, but Hugh Fearnely Whittingstall claimed some years ago that if householders don't have gardens and want one, the council is duty bound to provide an allotment. Perhaps it just applies to council house tenants, but like I said, I have no idea of its truth.