What Species Do You Enjoy Eating The Most ?

marsh man

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, JDog said:

Nowadays I prefer woodcock to anything else.

In the good old days Blackcock took some beating. It had three if not four definite types and colour of meat. It tasted very good especially after walking twenty miles to shoot it.

We have got some Blackcock this far south of the border and you wouldn't have to walk twenty miles for it as they are in small flocks standing around the market place eating there main diet of chips with smelly sauce poured over them , as for the taste , they are not on my wanted list , and I cant see them ever likely to be on it :lol:

8 hours ago, JDog said:

MM, I am not fond of Cormorant even if it has been shot on licence.

The old joke was the defendant in Court accused of shooting a Golden eagle. In mitigation he told the Procurator Fiscal that he always ate what he shot. 'And what exactly does Golden eagle taste like'? Asked the Judge. 'Well sir',The man replied, 'It tastes like a cross between Osprey and Red Kite.

Made me smile Mr JDog , I suppose most birds with a hooked beak taste the tame ☺️

I will also pass on the Cormorants for the main meal , but what about a **** for afters :hmm:

Of course a lot is in the cooking & what else is used to add flavour, particularly to sauce made from tthe meat. But that taken I would have said

Teal & Muntjak until we were invited to share a saddle of Chinese Water Deer. That hit the spot that day..maybe it was also the company?

Worst?....inland  Widgeon; As bad as pike!

31 minutes ago, pbutd said:

Of course a lot is in the cooking & what else is used to add flavour, particularly to sauce made from tthe meat. But that taken I would have said

Teal & Muntjak until we were invited to share a saddle of Chinese Water Deer. That hit the spot that day..maybe it was also the company?

Worst?....inland  Widgeon; As bad as pike!

I dare say that is one of the most important things about eating game is how it is prepared for cooking and how it is cooked.

I was never that keen on Hares , I found them a bit strong for my liking , well one weekend I went to stay at my young brothers place who lived in a remote farm house near Wisbeach , his wife was a country girl and a very good cook , when we came back home from a days shooting and walked in the kitchen you could smell straight away you were in for something nice for tea,

Anyway , the table was set and the plates were piled up with fresh veg , then the tray came out of the oven with what I thought was Rabbit , it was looked and smelt lovely and it was in fact a Hare , this was jointed , left a while and cooked in home made cider , certainly one of the best , if not the best Hare I have ever tasted .

I cant really agree with you on inland Widgeon , while they are feeding inland they are very edible , it is when weather conditions force them to stick to coastal waters to feed they become a desired taste that I don't desire for. 

12 minutes ago, Nuke said:

Capercaillie, red dear or moose for me.

Don't like geese or hare.

/Markus

Capercaille and Moose is not something I am likely to walk on when I do all the little rough areas down the marsh on Boxing day , or any other day come to that ☺️ , sound delicious though ,

1 hour ago, dead eye alan said:

Pigeon is by far my favorite and the wife loves it too, sometimes we have it up to three times a week.

I knew somebody was getting my share :lol: .

I must admit , pigeons do take some beating , a taste you cant compare with anything else .

3 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Seatrout 

followed by 

grey partridge 

A man of great taste O F , I have eaten most of the fish caught off the East coast but I cant say I have caught and eaten Sea Trout , we have had one or two Sea Bass while boat fishing and very nice they were , last week me and my wife had Sea Bass fillets for tea , although to tell you the truth , they were reduced at Waitrose .

Good choice with the Grey Partridge , Do you think today's reared ones would have the same taste that the English partridges of the past had ??

Going by all the above replies , Geese seem one of the lowest first choice on the agenda and yet to buy one from the butchers you would have to pay very good money to buy one , in fact for a lot of people on low income a tame goose would be behind there budget.

Maybe one of the reasons is unless you are in the know with goose shooters it would be hard for the average member of the public to obtain one with the ban on selling wild geese to the dealers or the general public .

As for taste , another Marmite bird , some people would like them and some wouldn't , when money was tight a wild goose was well received where now with things slightly better I only bake a goose if and when I want one .

First choice would be a early season Pink foot , followed with a young Greylag , after that I would give away any to people who have asked me to try and get them a wild goose , not one of my most wanted birds to eat .

• 2 weeks later...