What Species Do You Enjoy Eating The Most ?

marsh man

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well , after seeing a whitetail deer backstrap(loin) butterflied and stuffed then wrapped in bacon, I did exactly that as reported on here a few weeks ago. I stuffed it with wildboar, cranberry and chestnut pate and have to say I think that it was one of the best meals I have had.  I love muntie backstrap anyway.  I have a couple of fallow backstraps in the freezer and as soon as we get a few friends in for supper I will be doing the same to one of those and see how it turns out.  The muntie one was also awesome sliced thin cold the next day for 'elevensies'.

There again many moons ago I did some nilgai backstrap steaks over mesquite coals and that was some of the very best eating.  Hung for 14 days in the chiller till almost black on the outside.  I can taste it now.

Partridge and blue cheese kebab has to be my favourite by quite a margin. A friend of mine makes them, they're stunning!

Five years ago I would have said roe deer backstrap, but I've eaten so much of it over the years that I need a little break from it now. I over indulged and got bored of it sadly.

2 hours ago, lancer425 said:

Curlew were the best  

You most likely shot a different species of Curlew than I did 😊, I have never wasted anything I have shot or been given and as far as I can remember the only thing we ever discarded after cooking was a Curlew , September and October they were just about edible with an Onion in the inside and Bacon on the breast on the outside after they had been feeding on the grazing fields , from November they became rank when they had to rely on the mud flats and salt marshes to find enough to eat .

Now you cannot give a lot of game away and is available to anyone who help out on shoots or know someone who does , I think you would have to be a poor ole way to tuck into a Curlew .:lol:

9 minutes ago, marsh man said:

You most likely shot a different species of Curlew than I did 😊, I have never wasted anything I have shot or been given and as far as I can remember the only thing we ever discarded after cooking was a Curlew , September and October they were just about edible with an Onion in the inside and Bacon on the breast on the outside after they had been feeding on the grazing fields , from November they became rank when they had to rely on the mud flats and salt marshes to find enough to eat .

Now you cannot give a lot of game away and is available to anyone who help out on shoots or know someone who does , I think you would have to be a poor ole way to tuck into a Curlew .:lol:

I liked them roasted  then served with baked pottatoes and mint sauce Delicious and were not bad in sandwiches with a bit of edam wish they were still on the list.

1 hour ago, lancer425 said:

I liked them roasted  then served with baked pottatoes and mint sauce Delicious and were not bad in sandwiches with a bit of edam wish they were still on the list.

We also ate Whimbrel , slightly smaller than the Curlew but with a layer of fat on the breast so it stopped the meat drying out a bit while in the oven , we also had the other wading birds on the list and ( by mistake ) the odd one that wasn't.:hmm:

I think at the time meat was in short supply along with the money to buy it , wild fowlers were known to eat whatever they shot so Waders were often on the menu , one other bird that had a very gamey taste was the Coot , these you skinned instead of plucking and they also had fat on the breast , to me they were better eaten than the Lew and for taste you cant really compare them to anything else .