28 bore

Hi, I’m looking into buying a 28 bore for myself. I have a Bettinsoli diamond x grade 12 bore but was wondering what 28 bores are out there of a similar value? £700-£800. What do folk recommend? Cheers. 

13 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Try and pick up a John Macnab Higlander. I shoot the side plate and it is a brilliant reliable gun. Not easy to find and do not mistake it for the low lander.

Did they make the Highlander in 28 gauge ?

My 20g Highlander is now my favourite gun to take for decoying, although I`ll be using my 16g Lincoln Prestige this afternoon for some roost shooting.

If only the 16g Macnab Highlander was on a scaled down action (it`s based on a 12g action) and weighing less than the 7 lbs+ that they do. That would be my gun of choice, within my budget anyway !

OB

I use a Webley & Scott 928 for clays and vermin control/walked up game, weighs approx 6 lb with 28 inch barrels, spot on, can`t fault it. Check which of your multi-chokes suits your needs best, and enjoy ! After trying most ammo available, I find Lyalvale Express 21 gram #7 shot is the one for most jobs..perfect patterns ! If I use 25 or 28 gram, patterns break up, so LV Express, or Hull high Pheasant 23 gram, won`t let you down. After all that, I use a Lincoln Premier 20 gauge with 30 inch barrels, great gun, incredible value for money, and the 28 gauge version is just as good !!! These are working guns, never let me down, and ammo is almost half the weight and size when we`re doing distance..enjoy !!!! 35-45 yards all day long, clean kills is what we want...

18 hours ago, figgy said:

The yildiz can be bought for not a lot of money used in good condition.

Try and find one on a true 28 bore action not a 20bore action with 28 bore barrels fitted as some makes are. 

And now even cheaper as they have dropped the price to match Kofs circa £495.

I had a Yildiz 28 bore there light and work but a bit too light and move very quickly.

The Rizzini Artemis i handled when buying the Yildiz is a whole other league to handle but quite pricey.

I would definitely look for a good used well balanced gun as it will be a joy to use.

7 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Did they make the Highlander in 28 gauge ?

My 20g Highlander is now my favourite gun to take for decoying, although I`ll be using my 16g Lincoln Prestige this afternoon for some roost shooting.

If only the 16g Macnab Highlander was on a scaled down action (it`s based on a 12g action) and weighing less than the 7 lbs+ that they do. That would be my gun of choice, within my budget anyway !

OB

Yes I have the side plate deluxe a brilliant little gun with lovely woodwork. Have a twelve but don’t use it and sold my 20.