Compact Binoculars Recommendations

Bungle The Bear

I upgraded my Bushnell compacts (a decade or so old, and weren’t that expensive when I bought them) for Swarovski 8*25. They are simply in a different league and money well spent.

Partly the optics i suspect, but I am sure the step up from 20 to 25mm front lens makes a big difference to the image brightness.  I can’t see a situation (other than loss or damage) that would see me needing anything more. 

What I would say - is try and trial your chosen shortlist - especially in low light.  The key things for look for are;

• Ability to see detail in low light.  Most binos, even quite cheap ones are pretty fair in good light, but when the light fails, the best are much better than the 'average'.  This is especially important in compact binos which by nature of their limited objective size are all a bit limited in low light - but the best are MUCH better than the poor due to much better glass and coatings.
  • Check for poor focus, distortion and colour fringing at the edges of the field.  Cheap lenses tend to suffer at the edges.
  • Check the overall field 'width'.  Some are a bit better than others.
  • IF you wear glasses, check you get the full field of view.  If the 'eye relief' is low, you will not see the full field.  I wear glasses and need at least 15mm eye relief.
  • Check the ergonomics and ease of focussing smoothly
  • If you want to use close focus (e.g. watching birds on a garden bird table) - make sure your chosen model will focus sufficiently close.  (Most are now very good)

Swarovski if you can afford, best there is. 8 or10x 25 cl compacts are superb and you can put them in a pocket or they are no problem on a strap round your neck.
Difficult to find used

Great for spectacle wearers too as they have adjustable eye cups.

Edited by das

I have a pair of Bushnell I won in a raffle and mostly they live in one of my cabins. Excellent at spotting stuff and identifying, don't know what they would cost but in a compact set I do not require anything better. I have a set of Swaros which I have had 30yrs and they are OK but I would not pend that sort of money today. My wife has a pair of Hawks and I cabnnot honestly see any difference.  I have better things to spend my money on than names on items be it clothing or binos.  Have a look at the Hawke range as I am sure they will do the job and spend the balance on an enjoyable day.

On 15/12/2018 at 17:31, Walker570 said:

I have a pair of Bushnell I won in a raffle and mostly they live in one of my cabins. Excellent at spotting stuff and identifying, don't know what they would cost but in a compact set I do not require anything better. I have a set of Swaros which I have had 30yrs and they are OK but I would not pend that sort of money today. My wife has a pair of Hawks and I cabnnot honestly see any difference.  I have better things to spend my money on than names on items be it clothing or binos.  Have a look at the Hawke range as I am sure they will do the job and spend the balance on an enjoyable day.

I think you have hit the spot Walker 570😏