personal navigation assistant.

The Heron

Dependant on what you are using, you should be able to “track”, this will save where you have been as well as distance, speed, elevation etc. When you want to retrace just tell the device to follow route backwards. 

Other option is to add waypoints before you leave so you can follow as you go, then the same, just reverse the route. 

I would be worried about using an app on my phone as a means of navigating,  what would happen if you lost the phone  signal  . I have a hand held garmin i used to use it when i metal detected . I would down load to google earth when i got home . It would show me in the field were i had been . Plus if i found a nice find i would put a waypoint   at that point. So i could build up a picture of were in the fields some good finds are located.

On android phones I use Maverick pro (£5) download your OS or open street map first if no internet coverage in the area you are going.

Or view ranger (the official ordnance survey app) the apps free but you buy the maps at 1/25000 or 1/50000 , they arent that expensive.
View ranger gives you a lot of features, like suggested routes and a augmented view, where you point the phones camera at the horizon and it gives you markers and viewpoints, a GPS signal is never a problem unless you are in a white out, just make sure your battery is fully charged or you have a power bar backup.
Both of these have tracking abilities, you just follow the track back to start of recording.
It sounds complicated , but its not really.