plastic polution rant

defender

A rant I saw that seemed to have a point (had to clean it up, hope I cleaned it enough)

"The latest useless and expensive plan to save the planet is create crisp packet bins to recycle them .
We already are terrified our plastic straws will clog up a dugongs bum, so now we have useless paper straws.

Has anybody pointed out we recycle bury or incinerate our plastic waste we don't dump it in the ocean.

But china India and Indonesia and the entire rest of the world do.
For Christs sake the Seychelles* have a bloody island made out of **** and rubbish .

it's like weeing on a fire whilst the rest are hosing it down with petrol"

(possibly meant Maldives)*

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2162653/Maldives-island-paradise-Thilafushi-trashed-reduced-pile-rubbish.html

Edited by defender

10 minutes ago, defender said:

Has anybody pointed out we recycle bury or incinerate our plastic waste we don't dump it in the ocean.

Up until very recently our “recycling” meant we shipped it to China and India. I expect quite a bit of it ended up in the ocean one way or another. 

That was ok though because at least we had recycled it. 

1 minute ago, 39TDS said:

Up until very recently our “recycling” meant we shipped it to China and India. I expect quite a bit of it ended up in the ocean one way or another. 

That was ok though because at least we had recycled it. 

Makes us look clean leaving it for someone else to dump it.

Didn't they stop taking it or something?

The company I work for sends our cardboard to China to be recycled. Recently they sent a rep over as they found some plastic in the bales and fined the company MORE than the cost of the cardboard bales “£300 fine a bale fine” for the plastic being in there. So that being the case I don’t think China wish to recycle the plastics any longer. 

We are 30 years too late as far as plastic recycling goes. the worlds oceans are awash with the stuff.

Did anyone else see Countryfile on Sunday? old landfill sites around the UK spewing their contents into the sea, and who is doing anything about it?, where is the money to do anything.

Why cant the plastic manufacturers make bottles and the caps from the same material so that it is easier to recycle.? Also make the films they use on the top of meat packaging (which at present cannot be reused) from bio degradable material, it may not be quite as see through but Joe public would understand the reason for using it.

As Fraser would say  "WE ARE DOOMED I TELL YOU DOOMED".  And he may not be wrong.

Edited by peck

Yep. Naughty stuff that plastic. It'll be the end of mankind as sure a day. 

And yet governments around the world have detonated over 2600 nuclear weapons since 1945  which have led to vast amounts of radiation and global warming. I think one of them even scorched a dolphin once. 

But nothing about that.

8 hours ago, Ozz said:

15p sandwich tax soon .and this will stop dolphins chokin on petrol station sarny cartons aparently ?

"The Government of UK has reportedly announced that it plans to impose a new 15p tax on sandwich packaging as part of its ongoing effort to cut down upon plastic waste."

Yea right more like ongoing effort to find more ways to steal our money off us 

12 hours ago, defender said:

A rant I saw that seemed to have a point (had to clean it up, hope I cleaned it enough)

"The latest useless and expensive plan to save the planet is create crisp packet bins to recycle them .
We already are terrified our plastic straws will clog up a dugongs bum, so now we have useless paper straws.

But china India and Indonesia and the entire rest of the world do.
For Christs sake the Seychelles* have a bloody island made out of **** and rubbish .

it's like weeing on a fire whilst the rest are hosing it down with petrol"

(possibly meant Maldives)*

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2162653/Maldives-island-paradise-Thilafushi-trashed-reduced-pile-rubbish.html

Good old facebook eh? I can`t decide whether this is racist tosh or general stupidity. For years the enlightened west has been dumping micro beads from cleaning detergents and face scrubs/shower gels along with all the other waste that gets thrown into hedges, paths and rivers, so we are no better than any other country on this planet. I came away from a fishing session last week with several dozen yards of nylon fishing line, glass and plastic waste from just 20 linear yards of remote Scottish beach, I didn`t need to search for it I just looked down and there it was.

1 hour ago, johnphilip said:

I saw a video , think it was in India , they were using plastic to build roads . Not sure how they worked the plastic into the stuff they were using . But we are always needing roads . And road repairs !!!!

There was a company in the UK too that showed plastic being mixed with asphalt, which created a stronger road surface.

1 minute ago, steve_b_wales said:

I watched it on a news report. By adding plastic, the road was more mallable too. Nothing seems to have come of it though.

IIRC some "conservation " organisation objected as it put polymer (plastic) micro particles into the atmosphere when the road is used.   And polymer (rubber) tyres don't ????:hmm: - go figure

Why can we not use glass bottles .paper bags. Most other sort of packaging use paper or cardboard  ie cardboard egg boxes .punets made out of cardboard .the list is endless .there is no need to use the amount of plastic we  use .

17 hours ago, Ozz said:

15p sandwich tax soon .and this will stop dolphins chokin on petrol station sarny cartons aparently ?

Whenever it is mooted that we should pay a surcharge/tax/fine whatever to offset our use of something it is claimed adds to climate change, I always ask the same questions: where does this money go and how will the planet know that I have paid extra to offset climate change? Is it me? 

7 hours ago, johnphilip said:

I saw a video , think it was in India , they were using plastic to build roads . Not sure how they worked the plastic into the stuff they were using . But we are always needing roads . And road repairs !!!!

As I understand it they just melt the scrap plastic and cast it into a block to get rid of it. Then they bury the blocks in road foundations like you would hardcore. I can see any good in using it as a road surface because as it wears it will just turn into microplastic dust which will then wash off into the environment 

44 minutes ago, Scully said:

Whenever it is mooted that we should pay a surcharge/tax/fine whatever to offset our use of something it is claimed adds to climate change, I always ask the same questions: where does this money go and how will the planet know that I have paid extra to offset climate change? Is it me? 

Not just you, we pay more "to save the environment" like how much we pay for petrol and diesel, its basically a con.

5 hours ago, Swinton said:

Why can we not use glass bottles .paper bags. Most other sort of packaging use paper or cardboard  ie cardboard egg boxes .punets made out of cardboard .the list is endless .there is no need to use the amount of plastic we  use .

Maybe because upping the use of paper and cardboard will accelerate deforestation?  I don't profess to have the answer, but see recycling (When taken seriously) as one of our best options.