Black action - top lever minor rust?

gsalmons

Hi all

Have recently bought a great condition 725 black. Really getting on with it too and enjoying shooting with it.

I gave it a clean the other day and noticed some slight 'rust' or similar affecting the top lever edge

Would this just be a reaction with thumbs from the general usage? I've oiled it but ideally would like to remove it- but am concerned if I damage the black finish!

I can certainly live with it but if anyone has had a similar issue and sorted it pls let me know

Cheers 

tinfoil - get some tin foil and ball it up - it is much much softer than steel and will not take off the bluing - lube it up with some oil and scrub the ball on the rust - the rust will come off. It will look like the blueing is removed as it will turn silvery but its just the action of wiping off the tin onto the metal - tinfoil is really soft and it transfers onto the steel that abrades it so you just need to give it a good wipe with oil after to remove the silvery tin stuff.

High grade steel wool will work - you need to get really fine stuff - use liberon brand or similar - anything you get in a DIY shop just is not fine enough - I use yards and yards of the liberon stuff and its fantastic stuff.

Is it actually rust or is it the colour on the lever changing ? Some steels especially when cast, as a lot of modern gun parts are, will go a purple brown colour . The old GP gun was prime example . 

Before you don anything make sure it is rust and be very careful as experience has shown me that some metal colouring will come off with very little rubbing. 

16 hours ago, gsalmons said:

Hi all

Have recently bought a great condition 725 black. Really getting on with it too and enjoying shooting with it.

I gave it a clean the other day and noticed some slight 'rust' or similar affecting the top lever edge

Would this just be a reaction with thumbs from the general usage? I've oiled it but ideally would like to remove it- but am concerned if I damage the black finish!

I can certainly live with it but if anyone has had a similar issue and sorted it pls let me know

Cheers 

Welcome to you new full time job of trying to keep that at bay. 

Also look at the serial number that will be next. 

Hopefully your internals won't go like mine did. Fingers crossed for you 

8 minutes ago, kingo15 said:

Are these guns prone to this rusting?

7 minutes ago, kingo15 said:

What happened to your internals, nothing serious I hope.

14 minutes ago, old'un said:

Are these guns prone to this rusting?

There are mixed views on this. But from my personal experience they are shocking. Fantastic gun to shoot with. I put my best scores in with it. But the finish is ****. I had to get rid of it in the end. Taking a major financial hit on it.

17 minutes ago, PhilR said:

What happened to your internals, nothing serious I hope.

It was that cafe at the essexs masters. They have never been the same 

23 hours ago, old'un said:

I have seen a gunsmith pack the inside of the action with Vaseline (sxs sidelock) to stop the ingress of water and dust, don’t know if this is possible with an O/U single trigger?  

Do not recommend this for an O/U .What you can do is rub bees wax in all around the stock head and work some in .it will clean off the wood and metal OK and afford some protection against water getting into the action .

Very difficult to totally water proof any gun and if you are out in the wet then after cleaning suggest a couple of hours in an airing cupboard or similar before putting away .

50 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Do not recommend this for an O/U .What you can do is rub bees wax in all around the stock head and work some in .it will clean off the wood and metal OK and afford some protection against water getting into the action .

Very difficult to totally water proof any gun and if you are out in the wet then after cleaning suggest a couple of hours in an airing cupboard or similar before putting away .

Thought so, guess it would stop the inertia from the recoil changing the barrel selector.

Airing cupboard? I was always told never to put a cold gun into a warm place as it caused  condensation on the steel?

33 minutes ago, old'un said:

Thought so, guess it would stop the inertia from the recoil changing the barrel selector.

Airing cupboard? I was always told never to put a cold gun into a warm place as it caused  condensation on the steel?

Please note I said after cleaning .So assuming that the gun has been taken out of its slip in a house or similar .I doubt that the airing cup board will be warm enough to cause you any problem.   By the by always dry the gun bag as well .

I keep hearing of all the rust problems concerning these guns, mine is now over 2 years old and has probably only done around 2,500 rounds. I clean it as soon as I get home after shooting with it and if it is wet, I spray the outside of the metalwork with WD40, before the drive home. I then let it warm up to room temp. laid on newspaper to help it dry off. I only use car engine oil soaked into a micro-fibre cloth on the outside of the barrels and action, avoiding the timber. I find car engine oil is heavier than any gun oil and water just bounces off. I have also soaked inside the centre vented rib, with engine oil, allowing the surplus to run off onto the micro-fibre cloth. If it is raining when I start shooting, I spray the outside of the metalwork with 3 in 1 spray oil and wipe off the excess with a piece of kitchen towel. I use Lucas lubricants in grease and gun oil for the knuckle and chokes, after cleaning. I carry the gun in a slip between stands and I use Macwet gloves in summer and winter. The gun still looks like it has just left the shop. 

53 minutes ago, Westley said:

I keep hearing of all the rust problems concerning these guns, mine is now over 2 years old and has probably only done around 2,500 rounds. I clean it as soon as I get home after shooting with it and if it is wet, I spray the outside of the metalwork with WD40, before the drive home. I then let it warm up to room temp. laid on newspaper to help it dry off. I only use car engine oil soaked into a micro-fibre cloth on the outside of the barrels and action, avoiding the timber. I find car engine oil is heavier than any gun oil and water just bounces off. I have also soaked inside the centre vented rib, with engine oil, allowing the surplus to run off onto the micro-fibre cloth. If it is raining when I start shooting, I spray the outside of the metalwork with 3 in 1 spray oil and wipe off the excess with a piece of kitchen towel. I use Lucas lubricants in grease and gun oil for the knuckle and chokes, after cleaning. I carry the gun in a slip between stands and I use Macwet gloves in summer and winter. The gun still looks like it has just left the shop. 

It probably doesn't dare go rusty after that much TLC... 😊

Hi all

Thanks, i have gotten some 0000 wool so going to have a gentle go and take it from there. The blotch is only on the very top of the lever - it's just now I know it's there I'd like to sort it!

Anyone else wouldn't even notice it tbh! I have a Matt black touch up pen thingy from my air rifling days so may use that if I go too heavy

Anyway, going to give it a complete strip and clean/oil etc this weekend.

15 hours ago, Westley said:

I think I would buy a gun from you!

13 hours ago, gsalmons said:

Hi all

Thanks, i have gotten some 0000 wool so going to have a gentle go and take it from there. The blotch is only on the very top of the lever - it's just now I know it's there I'd like to sort it!

Anyone else wouldn't even notice it tbh! I have a Matt black touch up pen thingy from my air rifling days so may use that if I go too heavy

Use plenty of oil/paraffin! On blueing, If it's surface rust it will feel rough as you gently rub it.....when the roughness is no longer felt, wipe clean and check....do not over do It! There should be no need to "touch it up" 

20 hours ago, gsalmons said:

Hi all

If I were you I would find out how old the gun is before you start taking the gun apart, if I am not mistaken the 725 has a 10year warranty,  Get Browning to replace any defective parts.

Edited by blackbird

20 hours ago, Westward said:

It probably doesn't dare go rusty after that much TLC... 😊

My cleaning regime is very similar. 

Last week when I was away shooting I volunteered to clean the guns belonging to the host and another house guest as both were otherwise occupied when we returned after shooting. Their guns were not very clean to start with but I made a proper job of them. The task took 20 minutes per gun.