Metropolitan police sgc

Dave198137

I know this has been covered before but so far my application has been with the Met police for 7 weeks now and nothing has been done yet,!? No interview as yet and when I contacted them they said it hasn’t  even been passed to the local firearms office, sorry but this is ridiculous how slow and poor the process is I understand some counties have huge waiting times but from that I’ve read the Met are usually pretty good, if there was a problem with my application I.e. filled something in wrong etc surely they would of informed me by now? 

Sorry for the rant but it’s annoying when you just want to get on with your passion and paying the fee etc

Edited by Dave198137

2 hours ago, Dave198137 said:

I know this has been covered before but so far my application has been with the Met police for 7 weeks now and nothing has been done yet,!? No interview as yet and when I contacted them they said it hasn’t  even been passed to the local firearms office, sorry but this is ridiculous how slow and poor the process is I understand some counties have huge waiting times but from that I’ve read the Met are usually pretty good, if there was a problem with my application I.e. filled something in wrong etc surely they would of informed me by now? 

Sorry for the rant but it’s annoying when you just want to get on with your passion and paying the fee etc

Sorry to hear you have waited 7 weeks, be patient they'll get round to you.

I would strongly suspect the cheque has been cashed upon receipt.

5 hours ago, Dave198137 said:

Hasn't been passed to the local firearms office? Where did you send your application then? 

They'll be processing renewals before grants like all forces do. I certainly wouldn't get het up about 7 weeks.  Even after the interview if all goes well, you'll have another wait then too. 

I'd take the advice above about complaining to the PCC with a pinch of salt.

1 hour ago, Dibble said:

I'm not suggesting the Mayor is going to jump on a bus to Fulham and do the paperwork himself but if there are ways to hold the Police accountable we should use them.

I agree for serious matters. IMO waiting 7 weeks isn't a serious matter. 

16 minutes ago, walshie said:

I agree for serious matters. IMO waiting 7 weeks isn't a serious matter. 

Maybe.....

My application was signed for on 2nd October, my FEO  visit was bang on 4 weeks after, my certificate was on the mat 2 weeks later. I have no medical issues, have been DBSed etc.

If we let 4 weeks slip to 7 weeks do we then let that slip to 12?

Perhaps "engaging" with PCCs will, make us more visible and possibly help us put over our view/offer which BASC arnt doing.

1.fees were originally set by Chief Constables, we are open to them being raised.

2.GP letters are acceptable provided a national rate is set.

3.In return licenses run for 10 years, possibly with a 5 year catch up check.

4.Performance targets are agreed at 6 weeks for a grant, 3 for renewal.

5.this would massively reduce the police workload and increase revenue.

27 minutes ago, Dibble said:

Maybe.....

My application was signed for on 2nd October, my FEO  visit was bang on 4 weeks after, my certificate was on the mat 2 weeks later. I have no medical issues, have been DBSed etc.

If we let 4 weeks slip to 7 weeks do we then let that slip to 12?

Perhaps "engaging" with PCCs will, make us more visible and possibly help us put over our view/offer which BASC arnt doing.

1.fees were originally set by Chief Constables, we are open to them being raised.

2.GP letters are acceptable provided a national rate is set.

3.In return licenses run for 10 years, possibly with a 5 year catch up check.

4.Performance targets are agreed at 6 weeks for a grant, 3 for renewal.

5.this would massively reduce the police workload and increase revenue.

What is this "letting it slip to 7 weeks"you talk about? Do the Met guarantee a timeline? You've had your ticket a couple of weeks and are already urging others to write to the PCC if their ticket isn't with them in the same timeframe as yours. Consider yourself fortunate you had such a speedy experience.

I used to live in London and my first SGC was granted by the Met. I waited about 3 months for the visit and another month after that for the ticket to drop on my mat.

If someone has been waiting a ridiculous amount of time, a call or email to the FET is in order. Rabble-rousing just because you are impatient is not.

You'll come to find having a decent rapport with your FET will get a lot more done than attempting to go over their heads if you have an issue. :good:

As ording to BASC my experience was average and his FET arnt moving.

I'm no longer a rabble rouser but am of the opinion if you want something changed do something about it.

I'm probably being a bit sensitive this morning as I'm  a Scout leader (hence the DBS) and am having a week of non contributing parents moaning.

On 13/12/2018 at 09:47, walshie said:

What is this "letting it slip to 7 weeks"you talk about? Do the Met guarantee a timeline? You've had your ticket a couple of weeks and are already urging others to write to the PCC if their ticket isn't with them in the same timeframe as yours. Consider yourself fortunate you had such a speedy experience.

I used to live in London and my first SGC was granted by the Met. I waited about 3 months for the visit and another month after that for the ticket to drop on my mat.

If someone has been waiting a ridiculous amount of time, a call or email to the FET is in order. Rabble-rousing just because you are impatient is not.

You'll come to find having a decent rapport with your FET will get a lot more done than attempting to go over their heads if you have an issue. :good:

I understand it takes time, I called them and they said I’ll be lucky to have it done by mid February so 16 weeks in total the only moan is the Met website states clearly up to 8 weeks on first application...they put it down to back log of applications but I’d rather the website not give a timescale at all, I may come across as impatient but it is annoying 

45 minutes ago, Dave198137 said:

I understand it takes time, I called them and they said I’ll be lucky to have it done by mid February so 16 weeks in total the only moan is the Met website states clearly up to 8 weeks on first application...they put it down to back log of applications but I’d rather the website not give a timescale at all, I may come across as impatient but it is annoying 

Nothing wrong with being impatient mate. We all were when we were waiting for our first ticket. As far as timescales you, you can be lucky or unlucky if your application coincides with a lot of renewals. 

There was a time not that long ago NI shooters were waiting almost a year for initial grants and 5/6 months for variations. 

It was a lottery some got processed in weeks!

Nothing for it but patience I’m afraid, I would speak to my shooting organisation who will guide you on timescales and can make phone calls on your behalf 

• 1 month later...
On 13/12/2018 at 09:47, walshie said:

Update... i had my interview and reference done last Tuesday and all seemed good so now wondering on the waiting time to hopefully getting my ticket,,,,,hmmmmm haha