Gun damage

Farmboy91

Afternoon all. 

Looking for a bit of advice from the PW massive. 

Have avoiding saying anything until now as names will obviously be mentioned and I didn't want to be seen as bad mouthing any companies until I knew where I stood

I brought an ATA sporter from forlock and load in September last year, the gun had only been used 5/6 tops in that 12 months or so, so realisticly only seen 600/700 cartridges tops. We'd been out shooting clays and it had double discharged on me then it simply failed to eject. Obviously still being under warranty we stopped and there and then took it too forlock and load. 

Gun was sent back to sportsman in Exeter and was returned roughly 3 weeks later having had the trigger group replaced. Now, I know I should have gone over the gun in the shop thoroughly but I didn't, and have held my hands up to that. It went straight in the slip, then into the cabinet as it was raining, I took it out later on in the afternoon obviously wanting to make sure it was ejecting and firing properly which it was, but, having actually looked at it in daylight I noticed varying amounts of damage to the stock, forend and barrels (if I can I will upload some pics). 

Obviously contacted forelock and load straight away and they contacted sportman, and key here is that on the form sent from forelock and load with the gun it is down as unmarked. That was the 6th of October. Between then and now the gun has been back to sportsman a further 2 times, in which they have replaced the wood work 'doing forlock and load and favour' or so I'm told, but have outright refused to touch the barrels. 

Forelock and load do not want to know, and while I have spoken to sportsman a couple of times on the phone they do not want to know either. The last suggestion from them was that the gun was 'tip top' when it left and 'could have been damaged in transit' which given the gun went and came back in a hard case I fail to believe. 

As forlock and load sold me the gun they are responsible, they have suggested selling the gun on my behalf to which I have said no, as the gun is worth atleast £150 less than what it was when it originally when off back in September. I have asked for a refund of the market value of the gun which I don't think is unreasonable but they won't. 

Sorry for the long winded post but no one is will to take responsibility for what's happened and really I'm the only one loosing out. 

Any advice from you lot would be greatly appreciated. 

8 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

In between a rock and a hard place I'm afraid. You next move is probably to consider taking legal advice and to see whether that would get things sorted to your satisfaction.

I have been down the small claims route this year as it happens, It took around 8 months all in but I did win. 

Thanks though TC

Surprised at their attitude, as they have appeared OK the few times I have been in. There are a lot of gunshops around here vying for trade and it does not take long to ruin a reputation.

Not at all surprised by the attitude of the Sportsman though as I have had occasion  to bring to their attention, via their Facebook page, that they had sent me second hand goods listed as new and then a member of their staff refused to accept this. I did get a very rapid response from their MD though after posting on Facebook with an appropriate and full apology. Might be worth trying the same route as often folk are covering their **** and the problem is not getting through to a high enough manager/director.

52 minutes ago, 243deer said:

Surprised at their attitude, as they have appeared OK the few times I have been in. There are a lot of gunshops around here vying for trade and it does not take long to ruin a reputation.

Not at all surprised by the attitude of the Sportsman though as I have had occasion  to bring to their attention, via their Facebook page, that they had sent me second hand goods listed as new and then a member of their staff refused to accept this. I did get a very rapid response from their MD though after posting on Facebook with an appropriate and full apology. Might be worth trying the same route as often folk are covering their **** and the problem is not getting through to a high enough manager/director.

No, I know what you mean, I expected alot better of them. 

As for sportsman I got treated exactly how I expected, I haven't got Facebook but contacting the MD might have to be the next step if I can as someone some where is lying about what's happen. 

34 minutes ago, kenholland said:

park exchange , and move on, just check everything in future if nothing gets sorted no good getting stressed out even if you are in the right , these things happen , but if you want to , go for it , good luck.

I get where your coming from, money wise it's not massive but then do I let either company get away with treating me like this, not to mention other customers in the future.

Edited by Farmboy91

37 minutes ago, figgy said:

You don't expect your gun to be damaged when there supposed to be fixing it.

Someone I know has had to have his trigger group replaced. Known fault on earlier guns.

Hope you get sorted.

I don't know how many times I've said that to the staff in forlock and load, maybe when they know I'm serious about legal action they will sort something 

Thank you though 

I'm sorry to say  T.C is correct in that you are in a rock and a hard place.   They can say it left them in perfect condition and unfortunately you did not throughly check it on your own admission.  The fact Sportsman replaced the wood gives you some leeway as they have accepted responsibilty by doing so.  What damage to the barrels..dents or just scratches ?

52 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Sportsman guns are terrible terrible company and unfortunately you and your local rfd have had to deal with them .your best not having to if you can avoid them completely 

Trust me I wouldn't have dealt with them through choice lol I've heard the horror stories, unfortunately as they import them I didn't have much choice this time round. 

42 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I'm sorry to say  T.C is correct in that you are in a rock and a hard place.   They can say it left them in perfect condition and unfortunately you did not throughly check it on your own admission.  The fact Sportsman replaced the wood gives you some leeway as they have accepted responsibilty by doing so.  What damage to the barrels..dents or just scratches ?

I brought up the fact that they had agreed to replace the wood so to me that's an admission of guilt, nick from forlock and load wouldnt have that and kept on that it was a them doing me a good gesture. 

As for the damage its scratches, some down to the metal work underneath, I've was told as they are matte barrels not blued it will cost around £120 to have sorted. 

Edited by Farmboy91

As much as I like forelock and Load, they are terrible at dealing with faults/returns. Had some Gecco ammo from them which kept blowing the primers, no other issues in my rifle with any other brand. Took them back, chased them up a million times and in the end I gave up with no refund or replacement then I had a faulty Jack pyke fleece and had to wait for months for them to order me a replacement.

I would start posting bad reviews on their facebook page and google, as well as go into their store when its full of customers and start talking loudly about the issue... 

I recently paid for a gun to be shipped and agree'd that the fee I paid would also cover them accepting the rifle back from the smith and me picking up it. Several weeks later the bloke who sorted it no longer worked at the shop and the manager was telling me I would have to pay again ... not too impressed. 

I went in and the place just happened to have several others come in looking to buy goods, so I told the owner I wasn't impressed with him trying to charge me twice when I have already paid him, fair play he stated not a problem and got me my rifle and out of there as quick as he could! 

11 hours ago, kennett said:

As much as I like forelock and Load, they are terrible at dealing with faults/returns. Had some Gecco ammo from them which kept blowing the primers, no other issues in my rifle with any other brand. Took them back, chased them up a million times and in the end I gave up with no refund or replacement then I had a faulty Jack pyke fleece and had to wait for months for them to order me a replacement.

I had a feeling I wouldn't be the only one. To be honest I feel like as I don't go in there and spend with them, they dont care, customer, price and everything else are at polar opposites compared to the rfd I use now. 

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I would start posting bad reviews on their facebook page and google, as well as go into their store when its full of customers and start talking loudly about the issue... 

I recently paid for a gun to be shipped and agree'd that the fee I paid would also cover them accepting the rifle back from the smith and me picking up it. Several weeks later the bloke who sorted it no longer worked at the shop and the manager was telling me I would have to pay again ... not too impressed. 

I went in and the place just happened to have several others come in looking to buy goods, so I told the owner I wasn't impressed with him trying to charge me twice when I have already paid him, fair play he stated not a problem and got me my rifle and out of there as quick as he could! 

Trust me I done the loud talking thing last time and until the start of this week I thought it had worked, Google reviews will be next as I haven't got Facebook but I know with alot of trade and searched being done via the Internet it will hurt them. 

I'm glad it worked for ya tho 👍 

31 minutes ago, 243deer said:

Wow, only £120 to get fixed. I suggest that you show them this thread then. The local shooting community can very quickly cost them a lot more than £120 by boycotting them if they do not sort you out.

I didn't think of putting it that way to them, I'm going to word that into the email today, thanks for the idea 👍 

1 hour ago, welshwarrior said:

The barrel finish on this is and always has been poor.  Talk to someone like Dan Bromley aka Barrelblacker on here you’ll probably get the work done faster better and cheaper than the £120 offer.

Thank you ill keep him in mind, whatever happens I won't be paying for it I want to keep pressing for sportsman to do it so if there is any problems it goes back on them. 

9 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:
21 hours ago, kennett said:

I had a feeling I wouldn't be the only one. To be honest I feel like as I don't go in there and spend with them, they dont care, customer, price and everything else are at polar opposites compared to the rfd I use now.  

Don't take it personally, I go in there quite a bit as my wife and daughter ride, so we can make it a family outing. They are still rubbish at sorting problems!

I don't know where abouts you are but I have always had good service from The Country store at Sawston

24 minutes ago, kennett said:

Don't take it personally, I go in there quite a bit as my wife and daughter ride, so we can make it a family outing. They are still rubbish at sorting problems!

I don't know where abouts you are but I have always had good service from The Country store at Sawston

It's not just the sorting of the problem, Ben I found pretty good to be honest but as he's not there anymore it's all going through nick/Daniel and to be honest nicks attitude has been that he couldn't care less. 

I'm between Hadleigh and sudbury I'll give them a look if I head that way, thanks for the heads up. 

• 2 weeks later...